• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit delays audited

Rich B

Quoting this in its entirety because the CSS style on the page linked makes it almost impossible to read:

By Gregory B. Hladky
3:04 p.m. EDT, August 10, 2011

According to Connecticut law, if state cops deny you a permit to carry a handgun, you can appeal to the state Board of Firearms Examiners and you’re supposed to get a hearing within three months. Except that ain’t happening.

The state Auditors of Public Accounts have found it could take you more than 10 months for your handgun appeal to finally be heard because of a sucking big backlog at the firearms board.

“We noted that the backlog of cases as of June 30, 2010 was 284,” state Auditors John C. Geragosian and Robert M. Ward wrote in their latest audit report.

And that’s a considerable improvement, the auditors found. The board dramatically increased the number of hearings it conducts (from an average of 11 per hear to 18 hearings in 2009-10, thus cutting the backlog down from more than 400 cases in August of 2008 and reducing the wait for a hearing from a high of 16 months to about a month-and-a-half last year.

Board officials say they agree with the finding and “is diligently working to reduce the backlog.”

Of course, there are anti-gun types who’d say the more delay the better when it comes to issuing handgun permits. The problem is these delays happen to be violating state law.

http://www.ct.com/news/advocates/co...-state-auditors-find-20110810,0,3426340.story

KIX

For a short piece, really not bad.

He nailed it on the head. The BFPE is doing what they can to cut down the backlog, but the local issuing authorities are making that VERY difficult.

I often wonder if that is intentional on their part.

I give the board credit, staying until almost 5AM for that one hearing last month. I don't think the DMV would keep the doors open just because they were busy - and these guys are volunteers at that!

Jonathan

KIX

And that is why there is a difference.

+1

I may have issue with the laws and procedures in this state, but, I think the BFPE has done a really good job.

After hearing them for over a hundred twenty cases or so, I have seen them be rather fair and observing them has changed my opinion of many things about the board. Actually, shows me that there is a huge problem outside the board (the local issuing authority issues).

We solve that, we eliminate more than half the reason for the board!

Jonathan

Rich B

We solve that, we eliminate more than half the reason for the board!

If we get rid of suitability and become a true 'shall issue' state, we eliminate all the reason for the board.

Even better if we get rid of the permit and registration system, we could get rid of the BFPE and the DPS SLFU altogether.

KIX

That's just crazy talk.

We're a blue state, don't let the "constitution" foll ya!

Jonathan

Good Citizen

From Nov 2010

Date: Fri, Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Attachment
Fire_Arms_BackLog_Letter_to_Com._Thomas_Dept_of_Public_Saftey_11-12-10.doc

Commissioner Thomas

I humbly write to you this letter, knowing this problem was not caused by you, but is now something that is within your midst to correct. These are the mere observations of a former Reconnaissance Marine trained in the area intelligence gathering during one year of attending Board of Frearms Hearings, within your building in Middletown.

Thank you for you Consideration!

11-12-10

Commissioner Thomas,

I have been waiting for a board of firearms examiners hearing for the past year I live in East Berlin, Connecticut and have attended almost all the firearms hearings this year. As a pattern I see that the State Police Licensing & Firearms unit, via Detective Barbara Mattson have a pattern of making deals at the board the day of the hearing, without being heard. As I’m sure you’re aware the backlog for a Board Hearing is about a year and six months, why last minute? Everyone I have witnessed graciously accepts their “Deal”, leaving me with the impression if offered at any time before the hearing they would have surely accepted.

At the last hearing Nov 10th 2010 there were 7 cases scheduled to be heard under your name, by your representative Andy Matthews, only 1 was heard by the Board and voted upon. If you listen to the minutes that will soon be posted at the end of the hearing the Chairman and the Board Secretary made comments about the deals that are made last-minute effectively tying up the Board and shutting down the process, by the State Police firearms licensing unit. There are a year and half worth of people waiting, the state police shut down that hearing to make deals that could have been done anytime during the 1.4 year wait?
As I’m sure you’re aware Chairman Kuck a board member currently has a lawsuit against the Department of Public Safety in the second Circuit of Court of Appeals. In one of the rulings the Judge note’s the files do nothing but collect dust for over a year to be settled at the hearing without being heard, the numbers listed don’t lie.(Information Available at PeterKuck.net)
From: 3-23-10 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals Ruling Kuck V. Public Safety

I have viewed multiple freedom of information act requests of firearms diary logs, clearly Det. Mattson is making deals for thousands of people, it appears she holds on to a few for “backlog purposes”. (Recent logs available at CTGUNRIGHTS.ORG from Edward Peruta FOI request)

The reason I make this point is in 2004 when I asked about The board of firearms examiners Det. Mattson noted in my firearms diary log that she didn’t say the Board is a total waste of time. Which she did, and also stated she controlled them and “she has the wait up to two years.” (Attachment #1).

6 years later after attending hearing’s for 1 year it becomes clear on how that occurs:

The Dept of Public Safety for the Dec 9, 2010 hearing has 7 cases listed, and for the Jan 13, 2011 hearing, has 7 cases listed.

I all ready know that that those 14 cases will not be heard, unless they do something different than they’ve been doing for the past year that I’ve been “sitting in” & observing.

If you can let Detective Mattson know on December 9, 2010 the below individual not coming to the hearing, because he killed himself and his wife in January 2010. His case has & is occupying the roster of the Board for over a year. (unless there’s another guy in CT with that name, not likely)Verified Still Listed BOFE roster 11-12-10,3:15 pm

revocation 10-85-R Selami Ozdemir Dec. 9, 2010

Published: Sunday, January 17, 2010:
“By William Kaempffer, Register Staff
WEST HAVEN — Neighbors in this quiet working-class community say Selami Ozdemir often beat his wife, but they never imaged he would kill her.
But police believe that is what happened early this morning.
The house was a crime scene today as police investigated the death of Ozdemir and his wife, Shengyl Rasim, in an apparent murder-suicide.”
______________________________________________________________________________________
Commissioner if you would be so kind, could you ask Detective Mattson or other designee to go through the next 2 hearing dates for 12-9-10, and 1-13-10 and review those files and strike there deals a few days prior to November 17th & and notify the Board prior to November 17th , the day that Sue of the Board of Firearms Examiners has a deadline to mail out questionnaires to the Law enforcement Departments, and post changes to the BOFE Hearing roster, so that the citizens of Connecticut on the roster can be heard without any additional delay, & and without any more waste of the Volunteer Board members time.
It appears that the state’s low-budget solution BOFE volunteers which has been in effect, since the 1960’s to protect public safety is being jeopardized, which appears heavily contributed to one individual, who can’t keep her paperwork or ideals in line.(Attachment #3)
I have witnessed much concern from the Secretary and other Board Member Volunteers in trying to reduce the backlog, but even with increasing yearly meetings, The State Police cases that resolve without being heard are making efforts to reduce back log futile, & are severely decreasing the impact!
Thank you for Your Service to the Community,
Good citizen
CT Citizen, & South West Asia Campaign Medal holder

Attachment #1 From BJM Det. Mattson

On the November 8, 2004 call to Detective Mattson told me, “the firearms board was a waste of time and she had the back log up to two years so if I want to waste a whole bunch of time and money, feel free.”

I guess that was her way of telling me to file an appeal!

"Fire arms diary Log" PDF

Attachment #2

3-23-10 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals Ruling Kuck V. Public Safety

PDF ATTACHMENT

Attachment #3

Sent To: My PDF Cut and pastes were strait to the point it was a direct letter and not too long to Keep attention. Not one State Rep repsonded back to Me.james.thomas <james.thomas@po.state.ct.us>
Cc: attorney.general <attorney.general@po.state.ct.us>; atty <atty@ralphdsherman.com>; attycraigfishbein <attycraigfishbein@yahoo.com>; Auden.Grogins <Auden.Grogins@cga.ct.gov>; Barbara.Lambert <Barbara.Lambert@cga.ct.gov>; Carlo.Leone <Carlo.Leone@cga.ct.gov>; Catherine.Abercrombie <Catherine.Abercrombie@cga.ct.gov>; Catherine.Abercrombie <Catherine.Abercrombie@po.state.ct.us>; cbrady <cbrady@glennbeck.com>; ChiefTWK <ChiefTWK@aol.com>; Christopher.Donovan <Christopher.Donovan@cga.ct.gov>; Christopher.Duryea <Christopher.Duryea@jud.ct.gov>; Christopher.Lyddy <Christopher.Lyddy@cga.ct.gov>; Christopher.Wright <Christopher.Wright@cga.ct.gov>; circleoflifetaichi <circleoflifetaichi@msn.com>; Claire.Janowski <Claire.Janowski@cga.ct.gov>; clare.kindall <clare.kindall@po.state.ct.us>; Clark.Chapin <Clark.Chapin@housegop.ct.gov>; Colapietro <Colapietro@senatedems.ct.gov>; Craig.Miner <Craig.Miner@housegop.ct.gov>; Crisco <Crisco@senatedems.ct.gov>; Dan.Debicella <Dan.Debicella@cga.ct.gov>; David.Aldarondo <David.Aldarondo@cga.ct.gov>; David.Baram <David.Baram@cga.ct.gov>; David.McCluskey <David.McCluskey@cga.ct.gov>; David.Scribner <David.Scribner@housegop.ct.gov>; DeFronzo <DeFronzo@senatedems.ct.gov>; defronzo <defronzo@senatedems.state.ct.us>; Demetrios.Giannaros <Demetrios.Giannaros@cga.ct.gov>; Diana.Urban <Diana.Urban@cga.ct.gov>; Douglas.McCrory <Douglas.McCrory@cga.ct.gov>; dougodishoo <dougodishoo@deltaarsenal.com>; dps.spec.licensing <dps.spec.licensing@po.state.ct.us>; Ed.Jutila <Ed.Jutila@cga.ct.gov>; edperuta <edperuta@amcable.tv>; edperuta <edperuta@ctgunrights.com>; Elissa.Wright <Elissa.Wright@cga.ct.gov>; Elizabeth.Esty <Elizabeth.Esty@cga.ct.gov>; Elizabeth.Ritter <Elizabeth.Ritter@cga.ct.gov>; Emil.Altobello <Emil.Altobello@cga.ct.gov>; Eric.Coleman <Eric.Coleman@cga.ct.gov>; Ernest.Hewett <Ernest.Hewett@cga.ct.gov>; firearm.permit.appeals <firearm.permit.appeals@po.state.ct.us>; Frank.Nicastro <Frank.Nicastro@cga.ct.gov>; Fred.Camillo <Fred.Camillo@housegop.ct.gov>; Gerald.Fox <Gerald.Fox@cga.ct.gov>; Gomes <Gomes@senatedems.ct.gov>; Governor.Rell <Governor.Rell@ct.gov>; Handley <Handley@senatedems.ct.gov>; Harp <Harp@senatedems.ct.gov>; Harris <Harris@senatedems.ct.gov>; Hartley <Hartley@senatedems.ct.gov>; Hector.Robles <Hector.Robles@cga.ct.gov>; henry.genga <henry.genga@cga.ct.gov>; Jack.Hennessy <Jack.Hennessy@cga.ct.gov>; Jack.Thompson <Jack.Thompson@cga.ct.gov>; james.kenefick <james.kenefick@po.state.ct.us>; James.Spallone <James.Spallone@cga.ct.gov>; james.spoden <james.spoden@cdps.state.co.us>; Janice.Giegler <Janice.Giegler@housegop.ct.gov>; Jason.Bartlett <Jason.Bartlett@cga.ct.gov>; jason.perillo <jason.perillo@housegop.ct.gov>; Jason.Rojas <Jason.Rojas@cga.ct.gov>; jbuckley02 <jbuckley02@snet.net>; Jeffrey.Berger <Jeffrey.Berger@cga.ct.gov>; Jim.ORourke <Jim.ORourke@cga.ct.gov>; Jim.Shapiro <Jim.Shapiro@cga.ct.gov>; Joe.Aresimowicz <Joe.Aresimowicz@cga.ct.gov>; joe.arterburn <joe.arterburn@cabelas.com>; Joe.Mioli <Joe.Mioli@cga.ct.gov>; John.A.Kissel <John.A.Kissel@cga.ct.gov>; John.Frey <John.Frey@housegop.ct.gov>; John.Geragosian <John.Geragosian@cga.ct.gov>; John.Hetherington <John.Hetherington@housegop.ct.gov>; John.Mazurek <John.Mazurek@cga.ct.gov>; John.McKinney <John.McKinney@cga.ct.gov>; John.Piscopo <John.Piscopo@housegop.ct.gov>; John.Rigby <John.Rigby@housegop.ct.gov>; John.Stripp <John.Stripp@housegop.ct.gov>; joseph.aresimowicz <joseph.aresimowicz@cga.ct.gov>; Joseph.Corradino <Joseph.Corradino@po.state.ct.us>; Joseph.Serra <Joseph.Serra@cga.ct.gov>; Joseph.Taborsak <Joseph.Taborsak@cga.ct.gov>; jselderesq <jselderesq@msn.com>; Juan.Candelaria <Juan.Candelaria@cga.ct.gov>; june <june@kevorkian.necoxmail.com>; Karen.Jarmoc <Karen.Jarmoc@cga.ct.gov>; Kathy.Tallarita <Kathy.Tallarita@cga.ct.gov>; Kelvin.Roldan <Kelvin.Roldan@cga.ct.gov>; Kenneth.Green <Kenneth.Green@cga.ct.gov>; Kevin.Ryan <Kevin.Ryan@cga.ct.gov>; Kevin.Witkos <Kevin.Witkos@cga.ct.gov>; Kim.Fawcett <Kim.Fawcett@cga.ct.gov>; Larry.Butler <Larry.Butler@cga.ct.gov>; Laura.Hoydick <Laura.Hoydick@housegop.ct.gov>; Lawrence.Cafero <Lawrence.Cafero@housegop.ct.gov>; Lawrence.Miller <Lawrence.Miller@housegop.ct.gov>; lcarissimi <lcarissimi@metacongunclub.com>; legislative <legislative@ccdl.us>; Len.Fasano <Len.Fasano@cga.ct.gov>; lenocecosc <lenocecosc@snet.net>; Lile.Gibbons <Lile.Gibbons@housegop.ct.gov>; Linda.Gentile <Linda.Gentile@cga.ct.gov>; Linda.Orange <Linda.Orange@cga.ct.gov>; Linda.Schofield <Linda.Schofield@cga.ct.gov>; Livvy.Floren <Livvy.Floren@housegop.ct.gov>; Lonnie.Reed <Lonnie.Reed@cga.ct.gov>; Lou.Esposito <Lou.Esposito@cga.ct.gov>; Mae.Flexer <Mae.Flexer@cga.ct.gov>; Marie.Lopez.Kirkley-Bey <Marie.Lopez.Kirkley-Bey@cga.ct.gov>; Marilyn.Giuliano <Marilyn.Giuliano@housegop.ct.gov>; Mary.Mushinsky <Mary.Mushinsky@cga.ct.gov>; MaryAnn.Carson <MaryAnn.Carson@housegop.ct.gov>; maryanne.hornish <maryanne.hornish@cga.ct.gov>; Matthew.Conway <Matthew.Conway@cga.ct.gov>; Matthew.Lesser <Matthew.Lesser@cga.ct.gov>; Maynard <Maynard@senatedems.ct.gov>; me <me@glennbeck.com>; Melissa.Olson <Melissa.Olson@cga.ct.gov>; melissa <melissa@ct2nddistrictteapartypatriots.com>; membership <membership@ccdl.us>; Meyer <Meyer@senatedems.ct.gov>; mgonzalez <mgonzalez@mcneiltech.com>; Michael.McLachlan <Michael.McLachlan@cga.ct.gov>; Michelle.Cook <Michelle.Cook@cga.ct.gov>; Mike.Alberts <Mike.Alberts@housegop.ct.gov>; Minnie.Gonzalez <Minnie.Gonzalez@cga.ct.gov>; natalie.ihnat <natalie.ihnat@po.state.ct.us>; newhaventeaparty <newhaventeaparty@gmail.com>; Pamela.Sawyer <Pamela.Sawyer@housegop.ct.gov>; Patricia.Dillon <Patricia.Dillon@cga.ct.gov>; Patricia.Miller <Patricia.Miller@cga.ct.gov>; Patricia.Widlitz <Patricia.Widlitz@cga.ct.gov>; Paul.Davis <Paul.Davis@cga.ct.gov>; Peggy.Reeves <Peggy.Reeves@cga.ct.gov>; Peggy.Sayers <Peggy.Sayers@cga.ct.gov>; Penny.Bacchiochi <Penny.Bacchiochi@housegop.ct.gov>; Peter.Tercyak <Peter.Tercyak@cga.ct.gov>; peterkuck <peterkuck@comcast.net>; president <president@ccdl.us>; Richard.Roy <Richard.Roy@cga.ct.gov>; Rob.Kane <Rob.Kane@cga.ct.gov>; Robert.Megna <Robert.Megna@cga.ct.gov>; Roberta.Willis <Roberta.Willis@cga.ct.gov>; Russell.Morin <Russell.Morin@cga.ct.gov>; Ryan.Barry <Ryan.Barry@cga.ct.gov>; Sam.Caligiuri <Sam.Caligiuri@cga.ct.gov>; Sandy.Nafis <Sandy.Nafis@cga.ct.gov>; Sean.Williams <Sean.Williams@housegop.ct.gov>; secretary <secretary@ccdl.us>; senator_lieberman <senator_lieberman@lieberman.senate.gov>; shah <shah@joinrobsimmons.com>; Stephen.Dargan <Stephen.Dargan@cga.ct.gov>; Steve.Fontana <Steve.Fontana@cga.ct.gov>; Steve.Mikutel <Steve.Mikutel@cga.ct.gov>; stu <stu@glennbeck.com>; Susan.Johnson <Susan.Johnson@cga.ct.gov>; Susan.Mazzoccoli <Susan.Mazzoccoli@ct.gov>; Susan.Mazzoccoli <Susan.Mazzoccoli@po.state.ct.us>; Theresa.Conroy <Theresa.Conroy@cga.ct.gov>; Thomas.Drew <Thomas.Drew@cga.ct.gov>; Thomas.Kehoe <Thomas.Kehoe@cga.ct.gov>; Tim.LeGeyt <Tim.LeGeyt@housegop.ct.gov>; Timothy.Larson <Timothy.Larson@cga.ct.gov>; Tom.Reynolds <Tom.Reynolds@cga.ct.gov>; Toni.Boucher <Toni.Boucher@cga.ct.gov>; Toni.Walker <Toni.Walker@cga.ct.gov>; Tony.Guerrera <Tony.Guerrera@cga.ct.gov>; Tony.Hwang <Tony.Hwang@housegop.ct.gov>; TR.Rowe <TR.Rowe@housegop.ct.gov>; vicepresident <vicepresident@ccdl.us>; William.Hamzy <William.Hamzy@housegop.ct.gov>; William.Tong <William.Tong@cga.ct.gov>

Last edited: