• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loading magazines

Glock214

I am already tired of thumb loading my magazines, and its only been a week. Any ideas on mag loaders or anything to help me out? My thumbs hate me right now. I love shooting my glock, but I hate loading the thing, and the mag loader that it came with is junk! Thanks in advance

Glock214

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I am already tired of thumb loading my magazines, and its only been a week. Any ideas on mag loaders or anything to help me out? My thumbs hate me right now. I love shooting my glock, but I hate loading the thing, and the mag loader that it came with is junk! Thanks in advance

Glock214

They have loaders that are nice. I don't have one but saw one this weekend while shooting. Google it. http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...gc.r_pw.&fp=f6e5f660e66620ab&biw=1280&bih=933

Last edited:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I agree with thebigsd. Try cheaperthandirt.com They have a big selection of ammo loaders. You could try opticsplanet.com as well.

Last edited:

TheQ

@OP Yeah, I feel for you. The Glock loading tool does suck. My primary is a Springfield XDm. Springfield did a much better job with the OEM loading tool (that Venator earlier referenced). I also own a Glock 27 and the tool -- well yeah, sucks.

Glock214

Man you guys are awesome, Tips for loaders, and ammo!! Thanks!!

@TheQ
I sometimes want to throw the tool out the window...but, its better than killing my thumbs even worse than using the tool lol.

Has anyone heard of "USA AMMO" I googled ammo and that came up, any thoughts?

stainless1911

Banned
You know that you dont have to unload your magazines to transport right?

What you do have to worry about, is something called bullet setback. When you repeatedly chamber a round in a semi auto, the bullet will be driven back into the case, reducing its volume. This increases chamber pressures dramatically, which could result in a kaboom.

Glock214

You know that you dont have to unload your magazines to transport right?

What you do have to worry about, is something called bullet setback. When you repeatedly chamber a round in a semi auto, the bullet will be driven back into the case, reducing its volume. This increases chamber pressures dramatically, which could result in a kaboom.

I did know I didn't have to unload my mags, I always have them loaded on my hip (even while driving, is that ok?) So do you recommend me Not having a round in the chamber while OC'ing then? I don't want a "kaboom" unless I am pulling that trigger at the range or at a BG. I had no idea about the "bullet setback". Thanks for the heads up though! Also, how often should I clean my glock, new to gun ownership, I've shot a lot of glocks, just never owned one and had to care for it. And I've been told a glock will last through anything. But I wish to baby mine and make sure it's always in prime shape, I would hate to have a misfire due to poor gun care when it really counts.

Glock214

TheQ

Feel free to keep your loaded magazines out of the magazine well of your gun while in transport. If you get pulled over, don't consent to a search under any circumstances. Having loaded magazines with you in the cockpit w/o a CPL is fine. If stopped it might be wise to keep them out of sight. What you're doing isn't illegal, you'll just save yourself any possibility of legal run in if you don't consent.

When OCing (outside your vehicle), please consider keeping a round in the chamber. A gun without a round in the chamber may as well be thrown at the bad guy.

Be careful of places that are easy to get tripped up and illegally carry. A common place is anywhere that is licensed to sell alcohol. This may include:

• Your local grocery chain
  • Gas stations
  • Party Stores

Also consider getting your CPL. It'll save you lots of hassle. Once you have you CPL you can:

• Carry loaded in the cabin of your vehicle
  • Go to places that are licensed to sell liquor without getting pre-written permission
  • Not get a permit to purchase from the police for future pistol purchases

The CPL is the best $250ish I've spent in a while.

$105 = License fee
$25 = Box of ammo for class
$75-$125 = cost of class

I fully clean my firearm after every time I shoot it. Some may say this is over-kill, but this is a piece of equipment that is staying close to my body and clothes. I'd prefer it not to be laced with thick amounts of lead (to the extent I can control that). At the very minimal I'd recommend you clean the barrel (get a "bore snake" -- those are good for just opening the breech and dropping through without dis-assembly) after each shooting session. Mileage may very in this area, others will be like me and still others will tell you they don't clean their gun unless they've put 1,000 rounds through since their last cleaning.

Last edited:

Glock214

Always carry one in the chamber.

Im just trying to save you a lot of hassle, sounded like you were emptying and refilling your mags everytime you OC. Thats an unnecessary PITA.

Oh no, thanks for any tips you give stainless. I appreciate them all. I look for you and other seasoned OC'ers for guidance and tips to stay out of a legal problem now or in the future. I would be crazy to unload and reload each mag everytime I OC. I wouldn't have thumbs left with as often as I have to get my glock out of my trunk and load up lol.

Glock214

Feel free to keep your loaded magazines out of the magazine well of your gun while in transport. If you get pulled over, don't consent to a search under any circumstances. Having loaded magazines with you in the cockpit w/o a CPL is fine. If stopped it might be wise to keep them out of sight. What you're doing isn't illegal, you'll just save yourself any possibility of legal run in if you don't consent.

When OCing (outside your vehicle), please consider keeping a round in the chamber. A gun without a round in the chamber may as well be thrown at the bad guy.

Be careful of places that are easy to get tripped up and illegally carry. A common place is anywhere that is licensed to sell alcohol. This may include:

• Gas stations
  • Party Stores

Also consider getting your CPL. It'll save you lots of hassle. Once you have you CPL you can:

• Go to places that are licensed to sell liquor without getting pre-written permission

$105 = License fee
$75-$125 = cost of class

I fully clean my firearm after every time I shoot it. Some may say this is over-kill, but this is a piece of equipment that is staying close to my body and clothes. I'd prefer it not to be laced with thick amounts of lead (to the extent I can control that). At the very minimal I'd recommend you clean the barrel (get a "bore snake" -- those are good for just opening the breech and dropping through without dis-assembly) after each shooting session. Mileage may very in this area, others will be like me and still others will tell you they don't clean their gun unless they've put 1,000 rounds through since their last cleaning.

Thank you, I will keep my magazines out of sight from now on, or maybe just in the trunk in a different box than the glock to save problems at least until I get my cpl. And I agree, I am going to be paying 150 for the class and then about 30 for ammo at Silver Bullet. But hey, it will make OC'ing a lot easier. I was actually looking at purchasing a "bore snake" that I came across on "topglock.com" I was unsure though, but now I know they work well. I agree, I want to keep my glock as clean as possible since that is my means of protection for myself and my family.

Glock214

B

Bikenut

• Gas stations
  • Party Stores

$105 = License fee
$75-$125 = cost of class

Good post... but let me add...

Where liquor licenses are concerned it is the "premises" .... that means the entire property... parking lot, lawn.... and the building.

B

Bikenut

There is a method of loading magazines that works better than the usual attempts to push the round down with the thumb while sliding the round into the mag. I'll try to explain clearly.....

-Holding the mag in the right hand with opening up and with bullet end pointing at the fingers....

-Take a round with the left hand and hold it between thumb and finger then lay it on top of the magazine (mostly towards the front so the rear will miss the mag lips)...

-Now... using the thumb of the right hand push down on the round while still holding it with the finger & thumb of the left hand....

-When round is down far enough push it into place with the left thumb and finger.

-Repeat until mag is full.

Naturally for left handed folks just replace "right" with "left" and "left" with "right".

Clear as mud?:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronson

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I say clean your gun at least every two weeks even if not firing it on a regular basis. Because even just sitting there it collects all kinds of dust and debree. If You shoot a lot, clean it after every time you shoot. Don't let It sit so long after shooting. That's bad. This should be sufficient enough. Just don't over oil it. It also depends on the area you live in too. What the weather is like and such. Stick to this and you will be golden. Especially with a glock. :)

Glock214

I say clean your gun at least every two weeks even if not firing it on a regular basis. Because even just sitting there it collects all kinds of dust and debree. If You shoot a lot, clean it after every time you shoot. Don't let It sit so long after shooting. That's bad. This should be sufficient enough. Just don't over oil it. It also depends on the area you live in too. What the weather is like and such. Stick to this and you will be golden. Especially with a glock. :)

Thanks SigGuy, I do try to shoot a few times a week, usually about 200 rounds a week to get comfortable with my gun and what grip I should use etc. Also, its a tool that is there to protect my family,So I want to master it so everything is second nature for me. I still can't stop blinking though when firing... any suggestions?

Glock214