• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first 12031e check. Menlo Park, CA

tall_tree

What code was the city trying to pass? Thats great that you guys made a difference!

Where have you guys been hiding! :lol: Ive been around here for 7 years and I have yet to see someone OC. Its very possible I just didnt notice. A lot of people dont notice when I OC. How many people do you know that OC and do you guys have regular meet ups?

Here is the muni code that is on the books:

9.08.010 Firing and possession of guns and firearms.

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter no person shall have in his possession within this city, and no person shall fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged within this city, nor shall any parent, guardian or person having the care, custody or control of any minor permit such minor to have in his possession within this city, or to fire or discharge or cause to be fired or discharged within the city, any firearm, cannon, fireworks, gun, pistol, revolver, anvil, firecracker or explosive of similar nature, rifle, air rifle, air-gun, BB gun or pellet gun or any instrument of any kind, character or description which throws or projects bullets or missiles of any kind to any distance by means of elastic force, air or any explosive substance, all referred to in this section as "firearms."

9.08.020 Exceptions.

(a) The provisions of Section 9.08.010 as to the use of any of the firearms mentioned therein shall not apply to any of the following cases:

(1) To police, peace officers or persons in military service in the discharge of their duties and using reasonable care;

(2) To persons using firearms in necessary self-defense;

(3) To the possession of such firearms for keeping at the place of residence or business of the person otherwise in lawful possession thereof, or while traveling to or from a legal firing, shooting or target range or hunting ground;

(4) To the discharging or firing of such firearms or causing them to be discharged or fired at a legal firing, shooting or target range or hunting ground;

(5) To the discharging or firing of fireworks after permit therefor has been issued by the fire chief;

(6) To the use of a gun firing .22 caliber shot-cartridge only, upon a written permit applied for and granted by the chief of police to protect life or property against animals, birds or rodents;

(7) To the discharging or firing of a pistol incapable of projecting any bullet or missile (a) for the sole purpose of starting an organized athletic event, by an official who has charge of the competitors at the start of the athletic event; or (b) for use as a theater prop in a bona fide theatrical production.

State pre-emption, FTW.

Thejoyofdriving

almost had another encounter at the same safeway :)

So, I went back to the same safeway tonight(yes I know, its technically morning). As I finish double checking my weapon was clear I stepped out of the car and what do I see? A cruiser with a LEO starring me down. She looks for a bit, drives to the end of the parking lot, turns all her lights off and proceeds to try and sneak up behind me. She parks about 40 feet away while being inconspicuously stopped in the middle of the parking lot :rolleyes: I start gathering some trash to recycle. I figure shes sitting there calling in for backup. Finally I just turn around and give her the "Yea, yea, I see you, you see me. Yes I have a gun, get over it" look and continued with my business. Maybe the watch commander asked if the person in question was a 6"3 guy in his early 20's and when she said yes he said forget out it, dont waste your time :lol: Who knows, but she left shortly after. I wish I would have remembered to use my iphone scanner app to see what they were saying. Oh well. Either way, I was rather amused. :)

Last edited:

Firemark

So, I went back to the same safeway tonight(yes I know, its technically morning). As I finish double checking my weapon was clear I stepped out of the car and what do I see? A cruiser with a LEO starring me down. She looks for a bit, drives to the end of the parking lot, turns all her lights off and proceeds to try and sneak up behind me. She parks about 40 feet away while being inconspicuously stopped in the middle of the parking lot :rolleyes: I start gathering some trash to recycle. I figure shes sitting there calling in for backup. Finally I just turn around and give her the "Yea, yea, I see you, you see me. Yes I have a gun, get over it" look and continued with my business. Maybe the watch commander asked if the person in question was a 6"3 guy in his early 20's and when she said yes he said forget out it, dont waste your time :lol: Who knows, but she left shortly after. I wish I would have remembered to use my iphone scanner app to see what they were saying. Oh well. Either way, I was rather amused. :)

Lots of supposition here, did she see you? was she concerned, did she call in for back up or direction? did she get specific direction not to act?
I would say odds are your previous actions were passed on and is now part of the beginning of the shift line up and debrief
"So we had an Open Carry advocate contacted at Safeway the other day by officer X, here is his description, here is how he acted, refused to give his name, dont forget here is the policy with Open Carry....yada yada yada.

My guess is the officer saw you and the weapon, tried to remember what was said in debrief, maybe called in for advice or direction until she determined you were NOT a criminal, probably because since she saw the gun, then thought you must be criminal first until proven a law abiding citizen.

Your comment "and give her the "Yea, yea, I see you, you see me. Yes I have a gun, get over it" look" I might suggest a different approach, not everyone likes it but I have had tremendous success with it. Shooting a look with the proposed attitude you describe might be more hurtful to Open Carry then helpful. Got to look at it from the LE point of view, how did they take that look you just shot them? did they pick up on the attitude? did they miscontrue it? did they now just formulate perhaps a first impression of an Open Carrier that is negative??
If while open carrying I notice LE observing me from a distance, I dont play the pretend I dont see them game, that is what criminals do, (hey its the cops, quick act natural, dont make eye contact, maybe they will go away.) If you play this game then LE plays the game too and automatically assume you are nefarious and up to no good and need to be monitored. Also it gives them time to come up with some sort of lame or weak excuse reason to stop and detain.

Remember your a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, act like one, wave at the officer be friendly, say hello. request they come over, or make your way towards them in a non threatening manner. Be outgoing and friendly, offer to shake their hands, thank them for all the hard work they do. Make it absolutley clear you are not afraid of them or what you are doing, that you are the good guy, not the potential criminal. Give them a first impression that is 100% positive.

If your interested I suggest, contact the police chief in the area you will be carrying and request a meeting, invite him or her to lunch, sit down with them talk about all the research and knowledge you have done about the Open Carry movement, that you WILL be open carrying, its your right and you want to be proactive with Law Enforcement, insure they have the right info regarding penal codes and current cases and legal findings. Impress upon them you are not some redneck rambo wanna be but an intelligent, well educated, well informed, civil rights practitioner and an ally not an adversary.

JMHO. FWIW.

Thejoyofdriving

Did you just smile and wave in a friendly manner?

Lots of supposition here, did she see you? was she concerned, did she call in for back up or direction? did she get specific direction not to act?
I would say odds are your previous actions were passed on and is now part of the beginning of the shift line up and debrief
"So we had an Open Carry advocate contacted at Safeway the other day by officer X, here is his description, here is how he acted, refused to give his name, dont forget here is the policy with Open Carry....yada yada yada.

My guess is the officer saw you and the weapon, tried to remember what was said in debrief, maybe called in for advice or direction until she determined you were NOT a criminal, probably because since she saw the gun, then thought you must be criminal first until proven a law abiding citizen.

Your comment "and give her the "Yea, yea, I see you, you see me. Yes I have a gun, get over it" look" I might suggest a different approach, not everyone likes it but I have had tremendous success with it. Shooting a look with the proposed attitude you describe might be more hurtful to Open Carry then helpful. Got to look at it from the LE point of view, how did they take that look you just shot them? did they pick up on the attitude? did they miscontrue it? did they now just formulate perhaps a first impression of an Open Carrier that is negative??
If while open carrying I notice LE observing me from a distance, I dont play the pretend I dont see them game, that is what criminals do, (hey its the cops, quick act natural, dont make eye contact, maybe they will go away.) If you play this game then LE plays the game too and automatically assume you are nefarious and up to no good and need to be monitored. Also it gives them time to come up with some sort of lame or weak excuse reason to stop and detain.

Remember your a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, act like one, wave at the officer be friendly, say hello. request they come over, or make your way towards them in a non threatening manner. Be outgoing and friendly, offer to shake their hands, thank them for all the hard work they do. Make it absolutley clear you are not afraid of them or what you are doing, that you are the good guy, not the potential criminal. Give them a first impression that is 100% positive.

If your interested I suggest, contact the police chief in the area you will be carrying and request a meeting, invite him or her to lunch, sit down with them talk about all the research and knowledge you have done about the Open Carry movement, that you WILL be open carrying, its your right and you want to be proactive with Law Enforcement, insure they have the right info regarding penal codes and current cases and legal findings. Impress upon them you are not some redneck rambo wanna be but an intelligent, well educated, well informed, civil rights practitioner and an ally not an adversary.

JMHO. FWIW.

I guess I described the look I gave to sound worse than it actually was! Perhaps I should have phrased it better. I would say it was the equivalent of a "wink". ;)

I always make sure I am extra nice to everyone when Im carrying. Not that Im not a nice guy anyways, but I try extra hard. I bet it confuses a lot of people since some associate guns with bad things(cops(giving them tickets or a hard time), criminals etc) so when Im very friendly it catches them off guard. I try and be the nicest person they have ever met with a gun.

Last edited: