• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there anywhere in writing?

Renegadez

Hi all! I am new to OC Is there anywhere in writing? Like somewhere in lees Summit I can call and get documented information on open carry city ordinance? Is there a list maybe we could make into a sticky topic for known open carry cities in Missouri?

Thanks
Renz

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard, first of all. As for beginning on your info search is going to seem daunting but stick with it and you will learn. I would recommend seeing my New to OC in WI thread thread for more beginning info. There are links to a lot of info. Some is state specific, but much of it is general for carrying. You can also check the stickies at the top of Missouri sub-forum, usually there are FAQ type threads for each state, if you still haven't found what you need just start reading the recent threads. You can also do a search for your city name for example. I believe I have seen Lees Summit randomly so I'm sure there are people around you. If you have done all that reading and searching, then start a post with a question as you already have. Much of the info is posted somewhere, it just may be a matter of finding it. And remember, if the statutes don't prohibit it, then it's legal to do. So your not likely searching for statutes on Open Carry...your searching for prohibitions on firearms, or Open Carry. The most important thing is read, read, read and comprehend. Familiarize yourself with all of the related statutes as well as your state's online access to statutes to look things up. You can never fully rely on things you read on the internet. You should look it up and learn it first. The only person accountable for your actions will be you.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Call the county sheriff to ask them if OC is allowed in the county and see if they know of any towns/cities/ect. within that county that disallow OC. I would also contact the police department of the towns/cities/ect. that you mostly travel within and see if they know of any laws against OC. You might also need to contact City Hall as well as ready through the statues and laws themselves to make sure. Lastly, contacting a lawyer in your area might be advised as well (although, I have to add that in my area my county sheriff was great, he told me that while OC was allowed in my county it might cause incidents with citizens and police officers, as well as warning me of a city in the next county over that did not allow OC with or without a CCL) depending on your sheriff and police departments.

Motofixxer

Just be careful of getting your legal advice from Law Enforcement. They can and will legally lie to you with no repercussions. Double check what they tell you with the written statutes.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Just be careful of getting your legal advice from Law Enforcement. They can and will legally lie to you with no repercussions. Double check what they tell you with the written statutes.

Making the ASSUMPTION that the LEO you talk with actually KNOWS any laws other that the TRAFFIC CODE!

I am making another assumption here that a person who is very important to me has taken offense at my comment above.
I could have and should have said this:

A LEO is MOST familiar with the laws that they are actively enforcing. Generally speaking for a Traffic officer that would be the traffic code. For one engaged in Zoning ordinances that would be the city/county zoning laws. As for asking a LEO for legal advise that would probably be unwise as I believe it is a crime in most US jurisdictions for for one who is NOT an attorney to practice law.

To my Brother, I really wish you would have brought this to my attention and talked with me about it. We MIGHT have been able to avoid or at least lessen some hard feelings. For causing you to doubt my deep concern and love for you--- I deeply and sincerely apologize! I ask that you consider the possibility of forgiving me. I am fully aware that I am not perfect and I try not to expect perfection in anyone else either.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Hi all! I am new to OC Is there anywhere in writing? Like somewhere in lees Summit I can call and get documented information on open carry city ordinance? Is there a list maybe we could make into a sticky topic for known open carry cities in Missouri?

Thanks
Renz

No there pretty much is not.

There is NO OC ordinance so to speak, in MO it is legal if it it is not written that it is illegal. In other words all you are going to find it when it is against the law, other places it is not against the law.

You will need to look up the ordinaces for the areas you intend upon open carrying and be sure yourself.

I highly recommend agains contacting the police for this information as it is rarely accurate and some times actually can lead to it becoming illegal.

Superlite27

Can anyone tell me how many municipalities have considered passing ordinances when citizens call asking for info on open carry lately? The model goes something like this:

1) Citizen calls sherriff/city attorney/city council member
2) Citizen asks if OC is legal
3) City representative hmmms and hawwwws eventually admitting there is nothing preventing OC
4) At the next city council meeting, an ordinance prohibiting OC is proposed
5) City bans OC

The general idea is to participate in a legal activity, not bring this activity and your desire to do it to the attention of the very people who desire to ban it.

LOOK UP THE LAW YOURSELF This can be done by going here:

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/codes-slp/

or here:

http://www.municode.com/

Look up the city you desire to OC in, find their firearms ordinances, and check to see if OC is banned. If it isn't.....YOU CAN LEGALLY OPEN CARRY.

Missouri usually follows the following method.

1) They list a section of activities that are prohibited: Article IIV :A person commits the offense of Blah, blah, blah when carrying a firearm ready and capable of lethal use:

1) a govenment building

2) an amusement park

3) openly visible to plain view

4) while eating a hamburger

5) while participating in all kind of various activities such as dressing in red spandex bike shorts and green bikini top

6) discharges the firearm in (list various places)

They will then list EXEMPTIONS to these ordinances

A) Currently licensed law enforcement officers blah, blah blah are exempted from items 1), 2), 3), 4), 5) etc.

B) Persons holding a valid CCW permit in accordance with RsMO 571.300 blah, blah, blah are exempted from items 3), 4), 5), etc. etc. etc.

You will notice that OC is banned by item #3. You will also notice CCW holders are EXCLUDED from the prohibition by the listing of item #3 in the areas of exemption. This means IT IS LEGAL WITH A CCW. In some ordinances "Openly carries a firearm" IS NOT EVEN LISTED IN THE PROHIBITIONS. This means YOU DO NOT NEED A CCW. Sometimes, in areas such as University City, Overland, MAPLEWOOD (now) they will remove listing item #3 in the exemptions part making OC illegal for EVERYONE except law enforcement. This is what sometimes happens when you call the city and ask.

If you cannot find your city listed on either Sullivan Publications or Municode, the best thing to do is run down to City Hall and ask to see their ordinances.

Last edited:

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
LOL welcome to OC, I am a 24/7 OCer in Lees Summit, the cops now the law some may bug you but there usually is no problem. there is a few of us around but I have never ran into anyone else OCing here that wasnt planned, but I hope to see you around.

Read the laws for yourself dont rely on anyone else, including LEOs, they enforce the law they dont know it.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Can anyone tell me how many municipalities have considered passing ordinances when citizens call asking for info on open carry lately? The model goes something like this:

1) Citizen calls sherriff/city attorney/city council member
2) Citizen asks if OC is legal
3) City representative hmmms and hawwwws eventually admitting there is nothing preventing OC
4) At the next city council meeting, an ordinance prohibiting OC is proposed
5) City bans OC

The general idea is to participate in a legal activity, not bring this activity and your desire to do it to the attention of the very people who desire to ban it.

LOOK UP THE LAW YOURSELF This can be done by going here:

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/codes-slp/

or here:

http://www.municode.com/

Look up the city you desire to OC in, find their firearms ordinances, and check to see if OC is banned. If it isn't.....YOU CAN LEGALLY OPEN CARRY.

Missouri usually follows the following method.

1) They list a section of activities that are prohibited: Article IIV :A person commits the offense of Blah, blah, blah when carrying a firearm ready and capable of lethal use:

1) a govenment building

2) an amusement park

3) openly visible to plain view

4) while eating a hamburger

5) while participating in all kind of various activities such as dressing in red spandex bike shorts and green bikini top

6) discharges the firearm in (list various places)

They will then list EXEMPTIONS to these ordinances

A) Currently licensed law enforcement officers blah, blah blah are exempted from items 1), 2), 3), 4), 5) etc.

B) Persons holding a valid CCW permit in accordance with RsMO 571.300 blah, blah, blah are exempted from items 3), 4), 5), etc. etc. etc.

You will notice that OC is banned by item #3. You will also notice CCW holders are EXCLUDED from the prohibition by the listing of item #3 in the areas of exemption. This means IT IS LEGAL WITH A CCW. In some ordinances "Openly carries a firearm" IS NOT EVEN LISTED IN THE PROHIBITIONS. This means YOU DO NOT NEED A CCW. Sometimes, in areas such as University City, Overland, MAPLEWOOD (now) they will remove listing item #3 in the exemptions part making OC illegal for EVERYONE except law enforcement. This is what sometimes happens when you call the city and ask.

If you cannot find your city listed on either Sullivan Publications or Municode, the best thing to do is run down to City Hall and ask to see their ordinances.

Just remember to read up on how to use Municode and Sullivan Publications... took me a bit to figure it out lol

Last edited:

alispissed

Making the ASSUMPTION that the LEO you talk with actually KNOWS any laws other that the TRAFFIC CODE!

Or an employee at the hospital actually knows how to treat you. I know that they got the billing and picking up paychecks down pat.