• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy faces 75 years for recording police!

Verd

Campaign Veteran
[video=youtube;mNlJYSIzjoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlJYSIzjoU[/video]

42-year-old Michael Allison of Illinois could spend the rest of his life in prison for recording police in public. He faces five counts of eavesdropping, a class one felony. Of course, the police are allowed to video people in public with impunity.

The Illinois Assistant Attorney General has joined the case and told the judge that citizens do not have the constitutional right to record police.

While this doesn't have anything to do with OC or guns, many of us DO carry around tape recorders and video recorders in case of issues with police treatment. And though the recent decision that states recording cops is an unambiguous first amendment right, it was issued by the federal Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (Maine, Mass., Rhode Island, and New Hampshire). It is a major victory on this issue. But it does not control in Illinois (which is part of the Seventh Circuit federal circuit). No doubt the First Circuit opinion will be cited by the Illinois citizen's attorneys as strongly persuasive authority; but, again, it does not invalidate all such state laws.

Tucker6900

[video=youtube;mNlJYSIzjoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlJYSIzjoU[/video]

42-year-old Michael Allison of Illinois could spend the rest of his life in prison for recording police in public. He faces five counts of eavesdropping, a class one felony. Of course, the police are allowed to video people in public with impunity.

The Illinois Assistant Attorney General has joined the case and told the judge that citizens do not have the constitutional right to record police.

While this doesn't have anything to do with OC or guns, many of us DO carry around tape recorders and video recorders in case of issues with police treatment. And though the recent decision that states recording cops is an unambiguous first amendment right, it was issued by the federal Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (Maine, Mass., Rhode Island, and New Hampshire). It is a major victory on this issue. But it does not control in Illinois (which is part of the Seventh Circuit federal circuit). No doubt the First Circuit opinion will be cited by the Illinois citizen's attorneys as strongly persuasive authority; but, again, it does not invalidate all such state laws.

Tell me how our 1st amendment rights stated in the US BILL OF RIGHTS does not control Illinois.

bigun220

That video was sickening. Apparently you have NO rights in Illinois, which is why I won't ever step foot in that awful state. In my opinion that eavesdropping statute is illegal.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I am still trying to figure out what the words "land of the free" mean... they are in our national anthem after all and this clearly is not the land of the free with stuff like this going on.