• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To brandish in a court house, or not to brandish, that is the question.

amzbrady

Just wondering about how to handle the whole court house scenario. Some of you have already dealt with it so I fingered I'd ask. If you go in a court house and they have lock boxes, you will have to "draw" or unholster your weapon in a sense, and put it in the lock box. When you come back you will have to reholster you firearm. That all seems pretty easy, BUT, what if they dont have lock boxes? You have to surrender your firearm to a guard.

Do you hand it to them or make them unholster your firearm? I would think if it were I, I would make them remove my firearm sense they didnt provide lockboxes. Then I guess I would hope they didnt hand my back my firearm field stripped and an unloaded mag like others have had happened, when I come back to claim it.

OK, maybe they didnt field strip it, but that would actually be funny if it happened to anyone but me.;)

sudden valley gunner

I haven't had to surrender it at a courthouse. I leave my holster on and put it in the lock box, making very sure it doesn't sweep anyone and my finger is well away from the trigger area.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Any courthouse I have gone into has had lock boxes where I unholster and secure the weapon personally.

If the need arises to have a person responsible of keep my firearm secure while visiting the courthouse, I also agree with asking them how we want to handle the securing of the weapon and if needed remind them I would rather unload and clear it as I would do with anyone before giving it to them.

amzbrady

I forgot who posted it, but there was someone, I believe GoGo, who had to surrender his firearm to security, and they asked for ID for a claim ticket? Then when he went back to pick it up, they made him wait a long time, and then gave it back unloaded, and bullets removed from the mag.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I forgot who posted it, but there was someone, I believe GoGo, who had to surrender his firearm to security, and they asked for ID for a claim ticket? Then when he went back to pick it up, they made him wait a long time, and then gave it back unloaded, and bullets removed from the mag.

Yes. At the pierce Tacoma city county building.

amzbrady

Yes. At the pierce Tacoma city county building.

Some people here would have you believe that ALL courthouses have lockboxes, but evedintly some do not. Did you hand them your firearm, or did you make them remove it? And was it removed in the holster, or did you empty holster carry into the court? OH, and arent you battleing them on the ID thing?

Last edited:

jddssc121

I have always been asked to leave it in the holster when locking it up in a lockbox.

same for me. they've always politely but firmly told me to make sure i leave the pistol in the holster, and then remove the whole thing....

amlevin

amzbrady said:
To brandish in a court house, or not to brandish, that is the question.
bran·dish
verb /ˈbrandiSH/ 
brandished, past participle; brandished, past tense; brandishes, 3rd person singular present; brandishing, present participle

Wave or flourish (something, esp. a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement

Never did like the term "brandish" as it's tossed around. By definition it is to "wave or flourish". The term isn't used in WA State Law, only Unlawful Display.

Merely handling a firearm in a manner necessary to secure it in a Courthouse Lock Box (or hand to a "designated official") could hardly be considered "brandishing" unless someone chooses to add some "flourish" to the action.

amzbrady

bran·dish
verb /ˈbrandiSH/ 
brandished, past participle; brandished, past tense; brandishes, 3rd person singular present; brandishing, present participle

Wave or flourish (something, esp. a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement

Never did like the term "brandish" as it's tossed around. By definition it is to "wave or flourish". The term isn't used in WA State Law, only Unlawful Display.

Merely handling a firearm in a manner necessary to secure it in a Courthouse Lock Box (or hand to a "designated official") could hardly be considered "brandishing" unless someone chooses to add some "flourish" to the action.

If officers use brandish for a holstered weapon and feel they need to confront, disarm, ID, and harrass, I wonder what they would do if you unholstered and was holding while handing your firearm to security? I think it would be best to let them remove your firearm.

cbpeck

amzbrady,

I'm not sure if your question is hypothetical or if it pertains to an upcoming "date." :uhoh:

In any case, in my experiences @ the Franklin County Courthouse the guard has provided me with a lockbox & key. When I'm done they take the box & I take the key. If I'm carrying IWB I usually pull the entire holster & transfer it while holstered. If I'm wearing a belt slide holster I simply remove the gun from the holster, just like I'd do at home, and place the gun in the box. Then I lock it, keep the key, and they store the box until I come back. The idea is that you hold the "only" key so that nobody has access to the contents while you're gone.

joeroket

If officers use brandish for a holstered weapon and feel they need to confront, disarm, ID, and harrass, I wonder what they would do if you unholstered and was holding while handing your firearm to security? I think it would be best to let them remove your firearm.

Typically the court security officers are either full or limited authority LEO. If they ask you to unholster they know what they are asking and are not going to try and say you brandished. I would never unholster unless they requested it or I asked them how they would prefer me to store it.

amzbrady

amzbrady,

I'm not sure if your question is hypothetical or if it pertains to an upcoming "date." :uhoh:

In any case, in my experiences @ the Franklin County Courthouse the guard has provided me with a lockbox & key. When I'm done they take the box & I take the key. If I'm carrying IWB I usually pull the entire holster & transfer it while holstered. If I'm wearing a belt slide holster I simply remove the gun from the holster, just like I'd do at home, and place the gun in the box. Then I lock it, keep the key, and they store the box until I come back. The idea is that you hold the "only" key so that nobody has access to the contents while you're gone.

Is that the one in Richland? I was thinking since my wife is going to college, I might go watch some litegation trials at the courthouse on my days off.

FMCDH

I'd just take off the whole holster.

Yep, same.

Besides, "brandishing" is generally an action in conjunction with an intent. I don't think there is a court in the land that would call taking a pistol directly from holster to lock box "brandishing". Just remember to keep your booger hook off the bang lever. ;)

Last edited: