• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Urban myths on open carry & other topics that savor of firearms....

Ridgerunner316

The masses believe, so it must be true (Look at the occupants of 1600 Pensylvania Ave)
1. You need a permit to buy a gun in VA
2. There is a 7 day waiting period in VA
3. You have to register guns in VA
4. You cannot carry your gun openly in VA
5. You cannot have a round in the chamber in VA
6. Hollowpoints are illegal in VA
7. If you shoot someone who is over 21' away, you cannot claim self defense.
8. Oh, it's not loaded (magazine in place, slide forward, rack the slide and a live round pops out)
9. I won't have to hurt anyone, just scare them with my gun I don't know how to use
10. The sound of a shotgun racking will cause anyone hearing same to instantly flee.
11. A light weight, snub nose .38 Spl. is the best gun for an inexperienced female shooter.
12. The term "9mm" "40" "fo fits (45), "deuce-deuce" "trey 8" (.38 or .380) automatically describes the make model and all pertinent information when seeking ammo or "clips" for one's firearm and the gun store personnel should automatically be able to fill one's order.

As I work in a gun shop, I know this goes on as I hear it on a weekly basis....

DJEEPER

you missed one:

any and all pistols are called "Glocks"

(which is partly why i own an XDm....to correct the ignorant :p)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yep...URBAN MYTHS but,

not counting transplanted Spruce Yuppies, you won't find one country boy in a thousand that believes any of those things.

wylde007

How About This One

'If you open carry then bad guys will see your gun and try to take it.'

I actually lost a friend to this argument.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That there are "bars" in VA and that mere presence of a firearm in one will lead to untold bloodshed. Some continue to believe this despite a year of evidence to the contrary.

wylde007

Yes, I know. I was only referring to the year that has passed since the restaurant ban repeal.
Restaurant ban of CONCEALED handguns.
Cops, armored car guards and bank guards are shot for the sole reason that they are openly carrying a firearm.
Fail. Aside from cops, the rest are shot because they are between the criminals and the money.
The "element of surprise" is THE choice of defensive tactics against violent crime.
Myth.

riverrat10k

The ex-cops I talk to all say I am making myself a target by OC'ing. I agree with wylde, it is a myth. I firmly believe that "most" bad guys would see an armed citizen and try to rob a less dangerous (for them) place.

Nothing in this world is 100%. I think I will choose to carry all the time, either open, concealed, or both. Be armed and be careful.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The list goes on and on.

These are more than just "urban myths" - they are outright lies!!

77zach

Do you know how many people have asked if my gun(s) are registered? They're shocked to learn there is no such thing in Fl. If I wanted to give them the gun out of the back of my trunk in a parking lot, no problem!

Sangre

The ex-cops I talk to all say I am making myself a target by OC'ing. I agree with wylde, it is a myth. I firmly believe that "most" bad guys would see an armed citizen and try to rob a less dangerous (for them) place.

Nothing in this world is 100%. I think I will choose to carry all the time, either open, concealed, or both. Be armed and be careful.

I've had friends tell me the same thing, I don't think I would be a target unless somebody came into some place looking to shoot people then perhaps they would try to take out anybody who could shoot back first.

Rey

To the OP,

I always wondered why people who work in gun shops are so irritable and rude. After reading that, I think if I had to listen to that eight hours a day I'd be pretty flippin' irritated myself.

ETA: I think #12 would make me facepalm my nose inside out... Did you really have someone come in and ask for a "fo' fits"??!

Last edited:

Ridgerunner316

To the OP,

I always wondered why people who work in gun shops are so irritable and rude. After reading that, I think if I had to listen to that eight hours a day I'd be pretty flippin' irritated myself.

ETA: I think #12 would make me facepalm my nose inside out... Did you really have someone come in and ask for a "fo' fits"??!

Most of the YUPE's (young urban pharmaceutical entuepreneurs) and gamers who set at home on their X-boxes and PS3, have their own unique firearms nomenclature.

fo fits, trey 8, fo fo, deuce deuce, all are heard routinely. It took me a while, but now I can grasp what they are saying most of the time. I try to be pleasent and patient, as I have had my share of bad attitudes in gun shops. I just consider the source and proceed with the transactions. Also, they look at the AKM's, AR-15s and other military style weapons and ask "Is dat Legal?" Also, 22 LR is now 22 LONG, a case of ammo is a 50 round box, sheets are targets, any MAC11 replica with a muzzle extention is a "UZI" with a silencer. Stun guns are Tasers, a case for one's gun means a holster. Any long barrelled revolver is Dirty Harry. I clear a lot of stoppages on the range, and I have taken to carrying a spray can of Ballistol with me as most people with take a new gun, unlubed, shoot it and then start complaining that their gun doesn't work right. I could make a mint on "sight adjustments", but when I take their guns in and shoot them, most by far are right on the money. Certain elements of society used to buy a lot of Hi Point pistols, now they shy away 'cause "dey jams" but once again, dry metal rubbing on plastic causes friction, and, without lubrication, will bind in time. Try draining all the oil out of your engine and see how long it runs. Rounds loaded backwards into magazines (clips, you know), inserted in the mag well and the slide sent home to jam the primed end into the chamber is a particular favorite of mine. Also, "automatic" means full auto, "single shot" is semi auto.... And most important, A FAST MISS IS FAR BETTER THAN A SURE HIT!!!

Last edited:

DJEEPER

I enjoyed reading that, ridgerunner....at your expense though. haha. It really is one of the things i dont like about going into a gun shop....hearing all of the ignorant know-it-alls spurting off to their friends all of their Call of Duty knowledge.