• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood Police Steal Gun Collection?

HandyHamlet

Disabled vet asks city to return seized weapons

A disabled veteran has filed a request in Lakewood Municipal Court to compel the police to return a cache of weapons they seized from her Edgewater Drive condominium.

In the court filing, Francesca Rice alleges Lakewood police had an employee at Edgewater Towers open her condo without her presence, consent, or knowledge.

... The complaint also says police have not filed any charges related to the weapons, and have refused to return them to Rice without a court order.

http://www.lovelakewood.com/blog/2011/08/16/disabled-vet-asks-city-to-return-seized-weapons/

Cops Confiscate Lakewood Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending
Posted by Kyle Swenson on Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Her cache somehow caught the attention of Lakewood Police, who paid a visit last September. When they found Rice wasn’t home, they asked an obliging employee of the complex to open up the apartment without her consent. Once inside, they raided the gun rack, making off with 13 firearms worth around $15,000. The only problem: They had no apparent reason to.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...fiscate-lakewood-ladys-arsenal-motive-pending

Post #6 has a PDF file:

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?p=5358667

25 Jul 2011 Rice's attorney wrote a letter requesting the return of the firearms seized without a warrant or explanation. "If you contend that there is a legal basis for the seizure of the property, please provide your written response...." otherwise the attorney would file a Complaint in Replevin.

15 Aug 2011 Rice's attorney filed a Writ of Replevin against City of Lakewood, Division of Police, Timothy J Malley, Chief of Police, to return the property or request a hearing to dispute the claim.

Tony4310

So no warrant, no probably cause, the weapons were ALL lawfully owned and the condo allowed it with out question? That is a lawsuit against both the police and condo!

Last edited:

We-the-People

Yet there are people who would tell you that the government would never start confiscating guns. If the facts are as presented in the legal docs available, then there was no warrant, no cause, no charge filed, simply the unlawful entry and theft of a citizens property by the operatives of a government that is out of control.

6L6GC

the title of the original post

is accurate I believe. This was not a seizure of contraband by government agents, this was a theft of personal property by some thieves who just also happened to be government agents. They were not "seizing" the weapons, they were "stealing" the weapons.

roN

I hope she and her attorney prevail in a major way. My opinion (for what ever that's worth, ha) is that these cops and it idiot that let them in should do hard time.

jayspapa

One line really stood out as I read that article. "..includes some hardcore weapons of death."

I am still amazed at how the anti's will embellish the truth to make it look as bad as they can.

I agree this was theft and they should have to pay through the a...er...nose for their actions.

devildoc5

Yet there are people who would tell you that the government would never start confiscating guns. If the facts are as presented in the legal docs available, then there was no warrant, no cause, no charge filed, simply the unlawful entry and theft of a citizens property by the operatives of a government that is out of control.
[Sarcasm]
But according to the Patriot Act police and Federal Law Enforcement have the right to conduct sneak and peeks. That's all these cops were doing...

Then they had to do what they wanted to do to Tom "Check to make sure it was all legal."[/Sarcasm]

I dont see how we can keep beating our heads against the wall over this.

It was US who elected these politicians who are doing this. WE are the ones that allowed this to happen.

Has anyone else forgotten "Operation Frame all the Gun Stores in the South?"

What about the FBI Terrorist Flier that was at the Puyallup Gun Show this last month?

How much longer are we gonna stand back and play the "call your congressman card?"

Do you think George and Ben and Tom and John and Sam and James and Gouverneur called their congressman or wrote nasty little emails?

okboomer

I think this might have scared them into seizing the guns :D

List of Evil Black Guns:

SKE M-21 Sniper Rifle
Ruger Blackhawk .357
Sentinel Arms 12 gauge
Gemtech .22LR
Ruger Mark II .22LR
Springfield Arms .45ACP
Makarov 9mm
Thompson M1928 .45ACP semi-auto
Mossberg 500A 12GA shotgun
Valkyrie Arms M3 .45ACP
S&W M-686 .357
Antique double barrel percussion shotgun
Colt Modle M1851 .44cal revolver

but I don't see where ANY of them are AUTOMATIC or require any type of special license to own (as insinuated by the Cleveland Scene)

Or this:

1314712437-picture_1365.png

We-the-People

What I want to know is where to I find a single gal with her own weapons stash?

All the more reason to have a very LARGE and HEAVY, bolted to the structure, safe to keep gun grabbing mitts off your stuff....and keep it locked at all times (learned that lesson when my ex left me).

cadurand

I think there is more to this story.

How did the cops become "aware" of her guns? The article just says "somehow".

Also, the manager just opening the door is such a stupid move on the part of the police I can't believe they would do it unless they could at least try to come up with a good reason after the fact. Only because it's so illegal on its face they'd never get away with it.

I think they'd rather just beat down the door than have someone (a witness) open it for them without the consent of the tenant.

I know we all believe the governemnt goes too far in a lot of these cases. But this story needs more details.

devildoc5

The important thing that i took away from the article is that it has been over a year and police have not filed ANY charges related to the weapons.

That and all weapons are listed as semi-automatic, there goes excuse number 2.

sorry but I am gonna stand on the side that says this was a Patriot Act sneak and peek designed to get those evil guns off the streets. Kinda similar to Project Gun Runner and Operation Fast and Furious.

It is obvious to anyone with 2 brain cells to run together that the "gubmit" has been trying for YEARS to take guns away from citizens. I just appalled that we as citizens have let it go this far....

devildoc5

I think there is more to this story.

How did the cops become "aware" of her guns? The article just says "somehow".

Also, the manager just opening the door is such a stupid move on the part of the police I can't believe they would do it unless they could at least try to come up with a good reason after the fact. Only because it's so illegal on its face they'd never get away with it.

I think they'd rather just beat down the door than have someone (a witness) open it for them without the consent of the tenant.

I know we all believe the government goes too far in a lot of these cases. But this story needs more details.

Probably the same way they find out all these OCers have guns on there hips.

"Yes hello, Police? Yes my neighbor has a bunch of those evil assault weapons in her house. No she didnt threaten me with them or anything, I have just seen her cleaning them through the window as I walk my precious Fluffy. That and she takes out these really long bags and hard boxes that I just KNOW contain those evil assault rifles. That's right sir at least once a week. Gee golly gosh sir, she must have well over 50 different guns in there. I even saw here cleaning a sniper rifle once! Why would someone need all those assault rifles and sniper rifles? That and like I said she takes them somewhere at least once a week, I think she might be secretly killing people when she does. I'm so scared for my life please please come protect me!"