• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not against the law to film Police!!!!!

M

McX

The Police had no problem dragging a cop car over to film us once upon a time in Madison....................but they're special and all.

rcav8r

I only know for sure that IL (in our area anyway) prohibits filming or recording LEO's. The court case was an appeals court in Washington, I don't know what district that would cover.

So if IL decides to prosecute in spite of that ruling, and the appeals get to the appeals court on the fed level and THAT appeals court differs from the Washington court in it's decision, then it'd have to go to the SC.

So in other words, you still might have a LONG court fight on your hands.

HandyHamlet

I only know for sure that IL (in our area anyway) prohibits filming or recording LEO's.

You can film and record the Police in public in IL. You can't audio record them without consent. However, if you have camera anywhere near them in public be prepared to be surrounded, verbally abused, and threatened with fake laws "since 9-11".

Last edited:

Law abider

Video

The only video I know of is the Illinois incident where the guy is going to get 75 years. Check it out on http://www.theblaze.com. He went to court to answer the charge and was recording that and he told the judge he was. As soon as he left the building he was arrested for violating the eavesdropping statute. Go see the video.

HandyHamlet

The only video I know of is the Illinois incident where the guy is going to get 75 years. Check it out on http://www.theblaze.com. He went to court to answer the charge and was recording that and he told the judge he was. As soon as he left the building he was arrested for violating the eavesdropping statute. Go see the video.

He was arrested for audio recording.

There are three landmark cases in IL regarding wiretapping.

The first is the street artist selling without a business license in Chicago. A friend recorded his arrest. The cops charged the artist with felony wiretap. The case has been postponed because the artist has cancer. (posted in several threads here)

The second was the Indiana woman who secretly recorded two corrupt cops trying to talk her out of filing a complaint against a third officer. She won her case two weeks ago with a not guilty verdict by the jury. (posted in several threads here)

The third is our man who also audio recorded police, city officials, and the judge. One of the reasons he recorded the judge was because they (the court) would not have a court reporter document his court proceedings. So he did it himself. His trail was just postponed. One of probably 20-30 postponements he will have to endure. One of the tricks in IL is to drag the case out as long as possible to grind down the defendant's will, money, and time in hopes they will eventually deal instead of going to trial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlJYSIzjoU

Last edited:

amaixner

One of the tricks in IL is to drag the case out as long as possible to grind down the defendants will, money, and time in hopes they will eventually deal instead of going to trial.

That's not just an IL 'trick.' The BATFE wing of our federal government has a long and proud history of doing it, as do many other governmental entities, and some corporations also.