• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New course at GMU: CRIM 490 Firearms Law, Policy and Politics

Rey

First day of class. Should be interesting. Instructor is a retired BATF agent. A Delegate is coming to speak, as well as a pro-gun group and, of course, the Brady bunch.

Rey

National Shooting Sports Foundation.

It seems to be pretty even keel. He's actually bringing in a whole bunch of rifles, machine guns and handguns to teach us the difference between what a pre-ban and post-ban "assault" rifle, which he adds that we will not be able to tell the difference. Also, to teach that a machine gun in the news is not actually a machine gun at all. I just can't believe he's bringing all those boom sticks to class. haha.

Rey

Today in class Colin Goddard, the Virginia Tech survivor that works for the Brady bunch is speaking in class today. We'll see how this goes.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I've seen some of his TV interviews. He bought into the Brady philosophy all the way! Hope you record the class!

"He bought into the Brady philosophy all the way..."

Indeed. This is something often seen in survivors of some terrible, meaningless, unpredictable, unspeakable horror. Virginia Tech fits that very well. As the victim tries desperately to make some sense of a frightful tragedy, to resolve any cognitive dissonance, and feel some sense of mastery over the circumstances (however unrealistic), he might be very vulnerable to the first person who can sell him the philosophy or guiding principle of an organization that purports to get the horror under control (however unrealistic). It still surprises me how otherwise sensible, intelligent and mature individuals will affiliate strongly with some cockamamie organization because it was first on the spot after the tragedy. The human mind naturally wants to make sense of things as a means of dealing with crippling anxiety, but the solution is sometimes quite pitiful in the eyes of neutral obserers. And how does one make sense of a completely senseless act? Colin has been twice victimized here, by Cho and the Bradys, and some of his potential for the future will be wasted in his association with this strange and increasingly marginal organization that the Brady people control.

I met Colin briefly at one of the Lobby Days in Richmond. He is obviously intelligent, articulate and probably a thoroughly decent young man. My heart goes out to him as well as the others. I hope he will gain better perspective as time goes by.

carracer

I fear that he has been kidnapped tortured and now gone to the dark side! One can only hope that a glimmer of sanity still exists somewhere deep inside. Perhaps it will awaken within him the next time he passes by a handgun display and the glimmering shine of a new 1911 sparks his curiosity. He should be urged to continue his quest and must be spurred on by someone close to him giving said 1911 to him for Christmas. If not... then that person should buy it for me. I will then search for such a class in the Boise area to attend and carry forth our honorable quest. PM me for my local FFL transfer information.

carracer

Hmmm... the op came to class one day to find the V-Tech guy and Brady representatives waiting for him. As he began to hammer them with logic, natural rights and other stuff that made sense to the normal person they were unable to take the pressure. The instructor, feeling that he was losing control, called campus police and had the OP forcibly evicted and expelled from the campus as his right of self defense was then considered a terroristic threat.

The department of homeland security became involved. His home was the subject of a search warrent. They found an arsenal and storage of weapons of mass destruction consisting of an "automatic weapon" (marlin model 60) and stores of ammunition, hundreds of rounds of deadly hollowpoints (3 boxes of 50 long rifle hp)!

Being a threat to the government and under the new regulations he was immediatley arrested and sent to Guantanamo Bay for incarceration for an undetermined period of time.

He is currently undergoing therapy that will render him harmless to the community and government.

Well, that's my theory.

Dreamer

Now that the semester is over, can someone give us a run-down on how this class went? Highlights? Guest speakers? General tone/attitude of the instructor? General attitudes of the other students?

Inquiring minds want to know... :rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now that the semester is over, can someone give us a run-down on how this class went? Highlights? Guest speakers? General tone/attitude of the instructor? General attitudes of the other students?

Inquiring minds want to know... :rolleyes:

The OP (BUBB4H) was the only contributor here connected directly to that class and he has dropped off the map. :(