• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction and some stories

spudshooter

First off hi all, found the forum yesterday through glocktalk and would love to share some of my OC stories from the Treasure Valley.

For some background I carry a G22 in a Blackhawk SERPA on my right hip, front of paddle just to 3'oclock. I wear a good 4inch goat-tee and most of the year Dickies shorts and a tee, which I tuck in whenever i'm out. So to some people I probably look a bit edgy. But this is America, right?

My first OC experiences were enroute to the range or a buddies house. I kind of eased myself into it, not because of what others might think though. First Wal-Mart for ammo and my corner stinker. I did this so I could see if I would be comfortable waiting in lines and what not, I tend to keep myself pretty alert and was concerned adding the firearm would put me in overdrive.

It did not :) After a few trips I started just taking it with me nearly everywhere. My wife opens for a credit union and I drop her off some mornings. I think the girls at first kinda thought it was odd but they are used to seeing it now.

The only semi-eventful outing was the last week at Wendy's (12th, nampa). My wife and I ordered and took the rear corner seat and as usual I put my back to the wall so i can see the whole resaurant. No one said anything to us but about 3 minutes after we sat an unmarked cruiser pulled up. The officer was wearing a parole vest and went to the counter spoke breifly and sat down facing me in the lobby. At first I wasn't thinking anything of it, then the counter person came and gave him a cup and she looked rather relieved. About then I realized why the officer was there. He never said anything to me though he just sat for a while while we ate and as soon as we got out the door he was right behind me. I got a bit tense but, knowing I was in the right, just gave him a quick nod held the door and he walked past with a little nod of his own.

That taught me a couple of things, firstly it really is my RIGHT and I am glad the officer was able to appease both parties by making the employee feel at ease (and probably educating her a bit also) and not interupting my short lunch with the family over a moot issue. Secondly and most importantly is that the way you conduct yourself will likely have a huge impact on how you are treated while OC'ing. As I mentioned I don't wear ties and seldom shave but I think me keeping composure and the fact I am not a roudy or loud person aloud me to finish my lunch in peace.

I have returned to this Wendy's regularly and have never had a problem, one lady yanked her kid away after he swung around the bars in line and ran into my holster but we had a polite conversation and moved on, no harm no foul.

ecocks

I really wouldn't think a Parole Officer would answer a dispatch call for a man with a gun call. The parole teams coming through my place all work for DoC(orrections), not a local PD or SO. I'm thinking it was coincidence.

Fallschirjmäger

I really wouldn't think a Parole Officer would answer a dispatch call for a man with a gun call. The parole teams coming through my place all work for DoC(orrections), not a local PD or SO. I'm thinking it was coincidence.
My brother works parole in Georgia, he doesn't even get an official car, just mileage. They don't answer police calls, from a conversation with him a few minutes ago. The DO call the police, especially on 'high intensity' visits and he has accompanied officers on round-ups because some of his mmm... clients tend to be repeat visitors. The parole officer could just be someone the manager/caller knew and was local.
(results may vary according to state and jurisdiction)

spudshooter

hmm

Never crossed my mind that he could be 'outsourced'. His cruiser was setup with the standard equipment, laptop, shotty, etc. . . But I know Ada county (this was in Canyon) outsources there probation office, not sure who they would send if you skipped a meating though, I try not to get in trouble after all.

All I know for sure is if he was there because of me, I couldn't be happier with how it was handled.:)

spudshooter

they dont have the authority...

Insightful... But who and for what, you were not quite clear on that.

Oh and on a side note I am getting my CCW course done this weekend(for free!!!:banana:), still will open carry when I have it though it will be nice to be allowed to tuck it in in certain cases.