• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Bill Meyer episode

Ironbar

OK, so I didn't have the time to listen live on Wednesday, and I'm listening to the podcast as I type this message. It's a good show so far, and everyone sems to be keeping on topic without too much bruhaha.

My question is in regard to the subject that was briefly discussed prior to 8am. The host and the cop were talking about (presumably) our friend Warren. I don't recall any mention made here about Warren open carrying a freakin' rifle in public, yet this was mentioned several times as being one of the problems the cops were having with him. Is this information accurate? Was Warren OC'ing a rifle in public in addition to his sidearm? Did this happen once or several times?

Last edited:

Ironbar

The segment just ended, and I have to say that it was a really good show IMO. I really appreciate the fact that everything stayed on topic, and everyone involved was calm, rational, and articulate. Well done.

Teddybearfrmhell

OK, so I didn't have the time to listen live on Wednesday, and I'm listening to the podcast as I type this message. It's a good show so far, and everyone sems to be keeping on topic without too much bruhaha.

My question is in regard to the subject that was briefly discussed prior to 8am. The host and the cop were talking about (presumably) our friend Warren. I don't recall any mention made here about Warren open carrying a freakin' rifle in public, yet this was mentioned several times as being one of the problems the cops were having with him. Is this information accurate? Was Warren OC'ing a rifle in public in addition to his sidearm? Did this happen once or several times?

there is video of him carrying a rifle , so at least once..... and its not illegal, however off putting it is. it is more understandable (in my mind) that the cops would look at a long gun MUCH harder than a sidearm as long guns are not a usual method of self defense on the street.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
there is video of him carrying a rifle , so at least once..... and its not illegal, however off putting it is. it is more understandable (in my mind) that the cops would look at a long gun MUCH harder than a sidearm as long guns are not a usual method of self defense on the street.

I don't know if 2-3% of people carrying firearms (concealed or openly) constitutes "usual". I'm sure police officers justify stopping/detaining open carriers based on the same logic of it not being a usual method of self-defense. Officers should be expected to only enforce the law that the state legislature has enacted. Anything beyond that ventures into "I know what's best" territory.

Warren does seem to like his long rifle carry. Look up his name in google and click on his facebook page. His profile picture has him carrying a rifle and a sidearm. Provocative, but legal.

Teddybearfrmhell

I don't know if 2-3% of people carrying firearms (concealed or openly) constitutes "usual". I'm sure police officers justify stopping/detaining open carriers based on the same logic of it not being a usual method of self-defense. Officers should be expected to only enforce the law that the state legislature has enacted. Anything beyond that ventures into "I know what's best" territory.

Warren does seem to like his long rifle carry. Look up his name in google and click on his facebook page. His profile picture has him carrying a rifle and a sidearm. Provocative, but legal.

i use the term usual as to mean the most common, not that it is common..... if 2-3% of the population open carry and .5% of those open carry a long gun then the odds of a LEO encountering them would be "unusual". much the same as finding a man painted pink and covered in crisco while chasing a poodle might get a good hard look from a cop.

as for the facebook pic.... reminded me of the famous lee harvey oswald pic sans newspaper

Ironbar

OK, so I just went to his youtube channel with all the videos, and all I can say at this point is that Warren Drouin, you are [...] spouting Oregon Revised Statues without any regard to how you carry yourself in the general public. You give all OC and CC advocates a bad name, and it's no damned wonder the cops hassle you all the time. [...]

Rant off.

ADMINISTRATOR NOTE: Portions redacted as personal attacks

hermannr

I wonder when the LE community will realize that people like this are looking for attention. If he is not doing anything illegal, and you have stopped him once and know who/what his...don't satisfy his desire for attention, ignore him..eventually he will stop because he is not obtaining the attention he is looking for.

Think of the little kid wanting attention by his mother.....

We-the-People

First, thank you for the positive feedback on the show.

Yes a long gun was involved in some of the carry however, the issue is not what he was carrying as it was legal but that, 1) threats of detainment and disorderly conduct charges by police are inappropriate for lawfully carrying a firearm. 2) Another individual has twice (since June) been detained, with LEO weapons drawn, while sitting calmly going about his business (once in a theater, once in a city park) and 3) that the police detained, disarmed, and cuffed, a CHL holder who walked into the local police department with a holstered handgun....for violation of ORS 166.360 (which is a list of definitions) because they didn't know the law.

Since long gun OC is not appropriate for this site it hasn't been discussed at length but was brought up in one or both threads.

Also, since personal attacks are verboten on OCDO if those comments were redacted so that this post doesn't get deleted or frozen.

Warren is young and he is nervous when carrying around officers. I'm sure we can all remember our first forays out into public. Thinking that everyone was staring, that at any moment we might hear the words "freeze" yelled at us, be cuffed and stuffed, then thrown into a cell with "Bubba". His "cameraman" is also young and so two young men,, lawfully going about their business, are going to make comments on tape that those who are older or more experienced wouldn't make. We need to remember however, that we all share the same constitutional rights and we all share the same state laws. Regardless of how smooth and suave, or young and silly, violation of any individuals rights unacceptable and should be vigorously exposed.

The goal here is not a lawsuit but a lawsuit is likely from someone treated as open carriers have been treated recently. Tedde and I, as well as a couple of others that I know, have probably not been hassled because we are more mature, carry ourselves differently, and frankly aren't hanging out at a city park with our young friends. However, being young is not a crime, nor is being silly or carrying a type of firearm that draws more attention than a pistol so long as it is carried lawfully.

The police here need to learn the law and learn how to constitutionally deal with open carriers as well as other citizens. That they flagrantly violate the constitutional rights of Americans (threats, unlawful detentions, etc.) is not acceptable and should not be condoned by any of us regardless of our personal feelings of their chosen methods or their personal communication skills.

We-the-People

Yup, I expect them to LOOK much harder as well. I also expect them to eyeball someone just open carrying if they come across them. And I also expect that a MWAG call should be screened with such questions as "what's he doing? Is the gun holstered?" etc. It just those pesky constitutional violations that bug me. The intimidation, threats, and unlawful detainments that might end up happening to any of us if they are allowed to get into the habit.

David West

Personally, I think the incident at the park had more to do with the fact that it took place less than an hour and a half after Warren left the police department than anything. I think they thought I was him.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Personally, I think the incident at the park had more to do with the fact that it took place less than an hour and a half after Warren left the police department than anything. I think they thought I was him.

Which begs the question "if he was legal at the PD" why try to harass him (and get teh wrong guy) later for doing nothing suspicious. Might be but then that would indicate there may be an even bigger problem brewing.

Ironbar

OK, so I just went to his youtube channel with all the videos, and all I can say at this point is that Warren Drouin, you are [...] spouting Oregon Revised Statues without any regard to how you carry yourself in the general public. You give all OC and CC advocates a bad name, and it's no damned wonder the cops hassle you all the time. [...]

Rant off.

ADMINISTRATOR NOTE: Portions redacted as personal attacks

Dear Admin,

You're damned right it was a personal attack. Idiocy needs to be exposed, and people need to be held accountable for their idiocy.