• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will change in Virginia demographics affect gun rights and OC?

Repeater

The WaPo article isn't all that encouraging:

Minorities become a majority in Washington region
In Virginia, Prince William County is majority-minority.

With 55 percent of its residents white, Fairfax County could become majority-minority by the next census. So could Loudoun County, which is 62 percent white. Arlington County is one of the few places in the region where the percentage of whites is on the rise.

In most places, the demographic shift has been so rapid that even the officials tracking it have been stunned.

“What has happened in the past 15 years in the public schools of Northern Virginia is literally mind-boggling,” the report says. “Even for a region accustomed to constant and accelerated change, the spectacularly swift transformation of the racial and ethnic profile of Northern Virginia’s school-aged population is without precedent.”

Rep. Gerald E. Connolly (D-Va.) said the growth in racial and ethnic minorities has helped transform places such as Fairfax from reliably moderate Republican domains to ones where Democrats control the Board of Supervisors and that are represented in Congress and the General Assembly by Democrats.

“You’re going to start seeing that demographic impact politically in the outer suburbs” more and more, he predicted.

So, NOVA becomes like Chicago?

hgreen

The WaPo article isn't all that encouraging:

Minorities become a majority in Washington region

So, NOVA becomes like Chicago?

The conservatives in NOVA (and the rest of the country) just have to be as active as their liberal counterparts...

I'm new to NOVA, but I know that in the LA (socal) area the only people to blame for conservatives not winning are conservatives, they have record low voter turn out and activism.

We all have to stop thinking that going out and making phone calls and knocking on doors is for someone else with more time and money and (whatever) than we have, and do it.

doug23838

Well, Yes Repeater, I think that a change in demographics can change gun rights and OC. I think we need ony look to NC as an example. NC built a big banking center in Charlotte, and hundreds of businesses relocated to the Research Triangle Park near Raleigh. This buildup lured lots of NY, NJ, CT. residents who moved down to NC and brought their hoplophobic minds with them. I went to college in NC '79 - '83. It was a bastion of conservatism and the Southern Baptist Convention. No more.

SicSemperTyrannis

Liberty Appeals To Everyone, Because of Our Nature

Well, Yes Repeater, I think that a change in demographics can change gun rights and OC. I think we need ony look to NC as an example. NC built a big banking center in Charlotte, and hundreds of businesses relocated to the Research Triangle Park near Raleigh. This buildup lured lots of NY, NJ, CT. residents who moved down to NC and brought their hoplophobic minds with them. I went to college in NC '79 - '83. It was a bastion of conservatism and the Southern Baptist Convention. No more.

Demographic change certainly could change the legal reality for gun owners in Virginia. But it doesn't have to. Much like a corporation constantly innovating to remain competitive, those of us who support the second amendment must approach the realty of demographic change positively and with creative ideas and passion. I believe in liberty. I think we have a great product to sell. That's not to say we always sell it well. Or that we won't have to change our approach and broaden our outreach.

I'm gay. I was one of the first subscribers to this board, and have been a proud member of VCDL for years. I think liberty and natural rights - and especially second amendment rights - should have an appeal to anyone who can relate to the idea of oppression. The history of gun control is extraordinarily racist. Too few people know this story. We don't have to exaggerate because the origination of gun control is so well-documented as part and parcel of an anti-liberty, racist policy. More people should know and tell this story.

So yes. Demographic change could change our rights for the worse. And unless we adapt and are creative, it eventually will. Sic Semper Tyrannis!

TFred

That's what a Constitution is supposed to be for (to protect rights from changes in demographics!) Of course when the courts ignore what it says in absolute plain text, then it's virtually useless.

TFred

Last edited:

6L6GC

its a good thing that we have

VA code 15.2-915. I banged the preemption drum for many years and was ignored by most. (Thankfully there were others fighting for preemption too.)

However, in my opinion, that is one of the most significant accomplishments of the VCDL/ gun right activists. We must defend it with all vigor. As long as state preemption is preserved, it doesn't matter what the racial/ethic demographics of a locality is, that locality is estoped from adopting or enforcing any resolution or motion regulating the carry, possession, etc of firearms and/or ammunition or components thereof.

We certainly need to, want to, make more progress and even expand preemption to cover state agencies, but we can't lose what we've already fought for and won.

PREEMPTION IS THE DEAL

I agree, we must sell our idea of freedom to anybody and everybody that we can

roN

Kevin108

I struggle as one of the minority of non-Democrat Portsmouth residents.

I also dislike what I've seen happen to voting precincts. It seems as though many have been pulled out of many mainstream venues and crammed into minority neighborhoods to make it easier for minorities to get to the polls.