• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New UOC'er from Murrieta

baseacegoku

Hello guys I am new to this site and even though I stumbled upon it totally by accident I think this is gonna be a great help for me. I recently returned from AZ and the carrying bug has bitten me
pretty hard. I am glad to see that even though we are in CA we have resources at our disposal to protect our right to "Keep and bare arms" I look forward to meeting some of you in person and learning from those more experienced than I.

On that note, what is the consensus about carrying openly in the murrieta/temecula/lake elsinore area. Any places I should avoid? 2A friendly shops I should frequent?

Robin47

Hello guys I am new to this site and even though I stumbled upon it totally by accident I think this is gonna be a great help for me. I recently returned from AZ and the carrying bug has bitten me
pretty hard. I am glad to see that even though we are in CA we have resources at our disposal to protect our right to "Keep and bare arms" I look forward to meeting some of you in person and learning from those more experienced than I.

On that note, what is the consensus about carrying openly in the murrieta/temecula/lake elsinore area. Any places I should avoid? 2A friendly shops I should frequent?

Welcome to the forum, and UOC.
Check out the forum good and there's also many new OC-ers.
Read. read, read, all you can and learn the laws in Ca.(( Before ))you UOC.
There are many here who will pitch in and help you.

Robin47 :)

Firemark

Welcome, Im not familiar with the Temecula area im down in San Diego, but im sure you will find some people in your area. Starbucks is always safe, home depot, Lowes, just off the top of my head. Test the waters in your area, find friends and be prepared before you go out, LE is not always friendly.

Gundude

Especially, watch out for the Gun Free School Zones. 1000 ft from any K-12 school. (pc 626.9) Lock it up in a closed container to pass through there.

Last edited:

devildoc5

DO YOUR RESEARCH!

I cannot stress that enough...actually sit down and figure out where all the GFSZ are around you and the between you and the area you will be going and the area you will be at.

Once that is done find a Starbucks (Starbucks are GREAT first time carry spots) that meets the above qualifications and plan a meet and greet.

Post a thread on the forum, something to the affect of "Murrieta OC event" or something similar and then post your plan and invite others to attend.

The caveat is to do this at a time when people will actually be able to attend and to give them enough notice of the event to plan it into their schedules.

I find this works best so you not only get to read about what is to be done nad how to do it, but in the LIKELY event that you get stopped for an e-check there will be others who you can WATCH and learn from as well.

Not to mention it helps make friends and makes you feel all warm inside having extra people there to talk about guns with...;)

baseacegoku

well I would love to get to meet some of you guys soon. Do any of you guys know a good source to find the GFSZ's? Also why are starbucks good carry spots?

DO YOUR RESEARCH!

I cannot stress that enough...actually sit down and figure out where all the GFSZ are around you and the between you and the area you will be going and the area you will be at.

Once that is done find a Starbucks (Starbucks are GREAT first time carry spots) that meets the above qualifications and plan a meet and greet.

Post a thread on the forum, something to the affect of "Murrieta OC event" or something similar and then post your plan and invite others to attend.

The caveat is to do this at a time when people will actually be able to attend and to give them enough notice of the event to plan it into their schedules.

I find this works best so you not only get to read about what is to be done nad how to do it, but in the LIKELY event that you get stopped for an e-check there will be others who you can WATCH and learn from as well.

Not to mention it helps make friends and makes you feel all warm inside having extra people there to talk about guns with...;)

Iopencarry

The reason why Starbucks are good

The follow all local, state, and Fer laws, and have not asked open carriers to leave. They have stood up to the Brady Campaign and said they will not back down.

Re: the schools, you must, repeat MUST do your own homework. No one except you will have to pay for any cost when you get busted for being inside a zone.

Fine all schools in your area, map it out to 1000' from the school property line. then DO NOT CROSS. it just isn't worth it. Just carry a lockable container, and if you think you are getting close, lock it up.

baseacegoku

The reason why Starbucks are good

The follow all local, state, and Fer laws, and have not asked open carriers to leave. They have stood up to the Brady Campaign and said they will not back down.

Re: the schools, you must, repeat MUST do your own homework. No one except you will have to pay for any cost when you get busted for being inside a zone.

Fine all schools in your area, map it out to 1000' from the school property line. then DO NOT CROSS. it just isn't worth it. Just carry a lockable container, and if you think you are getting close, lock it up.

This is gonna sound stupid but does a glovebox count as a lockable container?

Firemark

My advice, do not use a glove box or center console in CA. even if it locks or you installed a safe in it. You may technically have a locked container per the penal code requirements, however nothing will stop an overzealous cop and aggressive DA, nor an anti gun judge from trying and convicting you for puting a firearm in a glove box or center console, which is also described in the penal code. This is CA, where the system is not pro gun, its anti gun. Dont give them any possible mis-interpretation to exploit. Get a locking box or backpack or any one of a dozen locking concealed cases available on the internet with just 15 minutes worth of browisng to find one. It then will allow you to carry LUCC (locked, unloaded, concealed, carry) while on foot thru school zones if you have to move from vehicle to carry location and you will be safe.

baseacegoku

My advice, do not use a glove box or center console in CA. even if it locks or you installed a safe in it. You may technically have a locked container per the penal code requirements, however nothing will stop an overzealous cop and aggressive DA, nor an anti gun judge from trying and convicting you for puting a firearm in a glove box or center console, which is also described in the penal code. This is CA, where the system is not pro gun, its anti gun. Dont give them any possible mis-interpretation to exploit. Get a locking box or backpack or any one of a dozen locking concealed cases available on the internet with just 15 minutes worth of browisng to find one. It then will allow you to carry LUCC (locked, unloaded, concealed, carry) while on foot thru school zones if you have to move from vehicle to carry location and you will be safe.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I just gotta locate my schools and figure out where I can and cant drive. Then I will try to set up a meet out this way.

Firemark

Sweet, thanks for the info. I just gotta locate my schools and figure out where I can and cant drive. Then I will try to set up a meet out this way.

Here is my Case.

So long as your locked in a case and unloaded you can drive thru any school zone, even walk thru school zones, just dont go on the property, or any government property, post office parking lot would be a serious no no.

For School zones I recomend this process.
Use google maps and mapquest and do searches in your area for the following fields as a minimum:
school, schools, kindergarten, high school, elementary school, private school, catholic school, jewish school, Montessori school, Gateway school

For any and all hits you must call their number to confirm if they teach any grades from k-12 and if they are registered with the state board of education. If they check out as a legitimate school, then you must physically go to the school (not OC'ing) find the borders of the property and measure a 1000' foot circumfrence from it to delineate the zone (be safe make it 1100' to account for possible mistakes). google maps and mapquest can be used with a fair amount of accuracy. At no time ever mention to them anything about firearms or carrying.

Once you have your zones identified, draw your self your own personal map for your own reference. Never ever bring it with you when you OC, leave it at home. memorize the boundaries and set up your safe "carry zones". Every person that chooses to OC must do this for themselves and not rely on anyone elses research, cause if its faulty the convictng DA wont care, its your personal responsibility to not be within 1000' of a k-12 school.

Why not take the map with you? Because if you are stopped and searched by LE while carrying a firearm and carrying a map with k-12 schools highlighted on it the first thing they think will not be its a navigation map for you to carry a firearm, the headline in the paper will read "Man with gun and map of local schools arrested at starbucks"

And after all that work is done you gotta do it again on a regular basis just in case a private school opens up or a gateway or montessori school pops up in your carry area.

Also never ask or share with LE any maps regarding GFSZ's, they dont and wont make them unless they want to train their officers to try and catch you or stick you with a violation.

.....and this is how Californians must practice their right to keep and bear arms. Enjoy have fun!

baseacegoku

Here is my Case.

So long as your locked in a case and unloaded you can drive thru any school zone, even walk thru school zones, just dont go on the property, or any government property, post office parking lot would be a serious no no.

For School zones I recomend this process.
Use google maps and mapquest and do searches in your area for the following fields as a minimum:
school, schools, kindergarten, high school, elementary school, private school, catholic school, jewish school, Montessori school, Gateway school

For any and all hits you must call their number to confirm if they teach any grades from k-12 and if they are registered with the state board of education. If they check out as a legitimate school, then you must physically go to the school (not OC'ing) find the borders of the property and measure a 1000' foot circumfrence from it to delineate the zone (be safe make it 1100' to account for possible mistakes). google maps and mapquest can be used with a fair amount of accuracy. At no time ever mention to them anything about firearms or carrying.

Once you have your zones identified, draw your self your own personal map for your own reference. Never ever bring it with you when you OC, leave it at home. memorize the boundaries and set up your safe "carry zones". Every person that chooses to OC must do this for themselves and not rely on anyone elses research, cause if its faulty the convictng DA wont care, its your personal responsibility to not be within 1000' of a k-12 school.

Why not take the map with you? Because if you are stopped and searched by LE while carrying a firearm and carrying a map with k-12 schools highlighted on it the first thing they think will not be its a navigation map for you to carry a firearm, the headline in the paper will read "Man with gun and map of local schools arrested at starbucks"

And after all that work is done you gotta do it again on a regular basis just in case a private school opens up or a gateway or montessori school pops up in your carry area.

Also never ask or share with LE any maps regarding GFSZ's, they dont and wont make them unless they want to train their officers to try and catch you or stick you with a violation.

.....and this is how Californians must practice their right to keep and bear arms. Enjoy have fun!

Thank you firemark, this is helpful also that case doesnt look lockable and wouldnt carrying it in something like that be construed as concealed carry?

Firemark

Thank you firemark, this is helpful also that case doesnt look lockable and wouldnt carrying it in something like that be construed as concealed carry?

The case I linked above is lockable, it is designed to carry a firearm and the keyed zipper lock works just fine.
Technically you are correct carrying like that would be consider conceaeld, however it is LOCKED in a case, it is UNLOADED by definitin of the penal code no round in a position to be fired, it is CONCEALED and you are CARRYING it. So long as you are not on your way to commit a crime with the firearm, this is the only real way to carry safely, with respect to being on the right side of the law. it is refered to as LUCC.

the magazines can be fully loaded and in the case, just not inside the mag well, There is no penal code that states it must be kept in a separate container.

baseacegoku

The case I linked above is lockable, it is designed to carry a firearm and the keyed zipper lock works just fine.
Technically you are correct carrying like that would be consider conceaeld, however it is LOCKED in a case, it is UNLOADED by definitin of the penal code no round in a position to be fired, it is CONCEALED and you are CARRYING it. So long as you are not on your way to commit a crime with the firearm, this is the only real way to carry safely, with respect to being on the right side of the law. it is refered to as LUCC.

the magazines can be fully loaded and in the case, just not inside the mag well, There is no penal code that states it must be kept in a separate container.

so technically that would be the only true safe way to carry concealed without a license? I might just do that until I can get my LTC

cobaltmarine

Would someone be able to suggest an area around SD with a light covering (in their opinion) of GFSZs that I could UOC... after doing my own homework that is.;)