Thread: Motorcycles and an AR...

Question Motorcycles and an AR...

Hello,
    I am going to throw a 'loop' out there and see who 'bites'. I ride a motorcycle in Texas (RGU) and like to go to the range at times. However, I do not always want to take my truck because of gas and live about an hours drive from the range. So my question is is it legal to strap the AR to my bike and head to the range. ... I already know I can put my glock in the tour pack and be okay. Thank you for your replies!

Completely legal. Texas does not restrict long guns in any way, except for the places where all firearms are prohibited.

Long guns may be carried openly or concealed, loaded or not, on foot or via any type of vehicle.

You may get hassled if someone calls 911 to report a MWABBSLG.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Don't think I would, I still have a "WINCHESTER BARON" that my father got when he owned a 1949 HARLEY DAVIDSON but it is now in my collection and I have a TAX STAMP for it but I do not take it from the SAFE that contains it. The Winchester Baron is a SHOTGUN PISTOL-side by side that came in .410, 20 ga and 12 ga-mine is a 12ga. it is HAMMERED and have the original holster along with a box of original "BRASS" cartridges in 2 3/4". The ANTIQUE VALUE and sentiment is the only reason I don't carry it anywhere-and, of course I've never shot it in the 50 years that I have had it! With 8" barrels, it is impressive, but I ain't about to fire it or sell it!
    Last edited by Cowboy_Rick; 09-03-2011 at 09:22 AM.

It is common for me to OC my pistol, rifle, scatter gun and hunting knife (all at the same time) on my bike when going to the range or ranch. Perfectly legal and I have not once been pulled over or harrassed in any way. Infact, DPS has pulled in behind me or along side of me and given me a wave and a smile on more than one occasion.

Cool That exact same thing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	188201_1752850693962_1019756401_2011958_1940871_n.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	7154
    I saw this in College Station last May. Not exactly a small town, and nobody seemed to be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Completely legal. Texas does not restrict long guns in any way, except for the places where all firearms are prohibited.

Long guns may be carried openly or concealed, loaded or not, on foot or via any type of vehicle.
    So long gun OC is more accepted than OC of a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by KD5WMX View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	188201_1752850693962_1019756401_2011958_1940871_n.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	7154
    I saw this in College Station last May. Not exactly a small town, and nobody seemed to be bothered.
    I love this! makes me want to get a motorcycle!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    So long gun OC is more accepted than OC of a handgun?
    Probably not.

The difference is, one is legal and the other is not.

Your right of course, sorry about the mis-statement on my part.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Campaign Veteran
    Plus, it seems lots of people (generally unobservant) don't even notice an OC handgun on a belt, so MWAG calls are less likely...but carrying a rifle/shotgun is pretty hard for those same people to miss.