• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supressors OKed by AG

PDinDetroit

This issue is much more complex.

We could have them before according to the law but because there was no opinion on the "Tax Stamp" being a "License" the BATFE wouldn't approve form1's or form2's and without one of them it was illegal.

All this long drawn out opinion really says is that the tax stamp is the license (just like the tax stamp for machine guns).

The AG didn't make them legal. They were always legal, with a license. All he did was define what a license is.

There will be no legal issues with suppressors just like there are none with machine guns, as long as you have the tax stamp(license).

Good information and analysis!

Bronson

Definitions on page 3:

That is the Feds. definition but I believe for a MI preemption issue the MI definitions would be the pertinent ones.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

123.1101 Definitions.

Sec. 1.
As used in this act:

(a) “Local unit of government” means a city, village, township, or county.

(b) “Pistol” means that term as defined in section 222 of the Michigan penal code, Act No. 328 of the Public Acts of 1931, being section 750.222 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(d) “Firearm” means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.
(e) “Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.

So it looks, to me, that unless we can swing the "component of pistols or other firearms" angle suppressors may not be covered under MI preemption.

I don't personally feel this way as I think it's pretty self-evident that the State occupies the field when it comes to regulating firearm/component possession. But I also thought it was pretty self-evident that an authority was covered under preemption and apparently at least one judge disagrees with me.

Bronson

Michigander

if a $200 tax seems spendy to me, it must have seemed insanely expensive in 1934 (comparable to $3,320.89 today).

Now imagine that during the great depression. We're basically in a depression now, but 200 bucks is still tiny compared to 3 grand in an even worse economy.

Just another reason to hate FDR and how he screwed us.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Now imagine that during the great depression. We're basically in a depression now, but 200 bucks is still tiny compared to 3 grand in an even worse economy.

Just another reason to hate FDR and how he screwed us.

Not 'screwed', still 'screwing':mad:

Perry for President?

Michigander

Not 'screwed', still 'screwing':mad:

Perry for President?

Depending on how you want to look at it, we've basically been flip flopping between 2 sides of the same corrupt coin since either Reagan or Bush 1. Obama is no exception, and I've seen nothing from Perry to believe he's any different.

Not to in any way promote Alex Jones, because he is in fact a lunatic, but he did uncover that Perry years ago that Perry went to a Bilderberg meeting, and has since then been saying he'd run for president. Alex Jones and his insanity aside, the very fact he attended those meetings and has extensive press support should in my opinion be enough to give him no credibility with someone who is politically awake. I do believe, in short, that Perry would be another extension of the same liberty raping.

I'm not a huge fan of Ron Paul, since my political beliefs are libertarian with a left lean, but he is by far the best person running. He may have almost no chance, but he is at this point the only person I think any of us should be considering supporting for president. He's the only one who would shake things up enough to put this country back on the right track.

OC4me

Hi Bronson,

Did you just say what I think you said? Suppressors may not be covered by preemption?

By the same legalese cited above, it seems straightforward (at least to me) that a suppressor would be a (noise-supression) component of a firearm.

Are you thinking that firearm 'accessories' are not 'components' for purposes of the preemption statute? If that turns out to be the case, then would a permanently fixed suppressor then qualify as a component (or still be an accessory)?

Just curious.

Edited to add:

I just noticed PDinDetroit's cite below:

c. Firearm. The term “firearm” means: . . . (7) a muffler or a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within this definition.

So in light of the above, is everyone in agreement about the legality now (preemption included) of suppressors in Michigan?

Last edited:

FerretMI

I wouldn't OC with a silencer for a few reasons. One, it's a really long draw compared to without it. Two, if you ever are forced to use your firearm, you probably want people in the area to hear it for the witness factor. Three, when people see guns with long silencers, they may be more prone to call the police. To me it seems that's hitman territory in a lot of people's minds, thanks to Hollywood.

Just my two cents.

stainless1911

Banned
I don't care if people call the police on me. Also, the noise isnt suppressed that much, people will know. If you're in a really crowded area however, like AB&E for example, a silenced weapon may prevent a stampede, thus saving lives.

Bronson

Did you just say what I think you said? Suppressors may not be covered by preemption?

I believe they should be covered under preemption, but since they are not specifically mentioned in the MI preemption law I can easily see a LUoG attempting to regulate them beyond what the state does.

Bronson

OC4me

I believe they should be covered under preemption, but since they are not specifically mentioned in the MI preemption law I can easily see a LUoG attempting to regulate them beyond what the state does.

Bronson

Well there may just have to be a test case. I'm sure we will all hear about the first instance of a local regulation to pop-up and some local Michigan gun-rights group, if not this one, will take up the fight.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Fantastic! Not sure if i'll get one but having the right to own one restored is a good step.

Wo wo wo. Hold the phone.

Being forced to pay 200 bucks and wait months for permission to own one is a clear indication that you do NOT have a RIGHT to own one of these bad boys.

T1mH

Lots of other reasons to have a suppresor beyound noise. Reduced recoil, reduced muzzle flash, less concussion. All of which make follow up shots easier.

detroit_fan

Wo wo wo. Hold the phone.

Being forced to pay 200 bucks and wait months for permission to own one is a clear indication that you do NOT have a RIGHT to own one of these bad boys.

Fair enough, but the money and the wait is federal not state. I was more referring to the right being restored in our state. Of course it would be best with no paperwork, no fee and no records of who has them, but I guess baby steps is better than no steps or going backwards.