• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bugout Plans and Survival

What does your bugout/survival plan look like?

• None - I'm minimally stocked and will rely on

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Survive in place - I'm urban/suburban but well-stocked.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Survive in place - I'm rural and can live off the land around me.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Suvive in place - I'm on a farm and can live off the crops and/or livestock.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Head for the hills - I'll live off the land there.

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Uber_Olafsun

I have two bags just about ready. Since I am in the city area one is just an immediate need of food water basic self defense for a couple of days. Second bag I am working on is going to be a little more if I have to go to nature orientated. In first bag a usb drive with important paperwork in case apartment goes to hell. If some how the DC area really gets hit getting the hell out of dodge and have various meeting points of family and friends starting from 2-3 hours drive to other side of country. Would have enough food and water to make it and would only have to worry about gas which if every pump from here to about 3 hours out loses power or the ability to be used we are going to be in a real world or hurt regardless of plan.

At least there is one good thing about having family all over the country. One set lives in a town so small an invading army would mark it so far down the list for a target that by the time they got there I would probably be dead from old age.

OldCurlyWolf

As part of the S.W.O.T. analysis, it's time to assess our Weakness. I'm offering up mine to get things going, but I'd like to point out this is something very few people do. They'll list their strengths all day long, but it's not one's strengths that are full of gotchas. Whether by shortsightedness on our part, or by design on the part of opportunists (thieves), we're brought down by our weaknesses. It's very important to identify them, as they can be rectified. Sometimes that takes money, sometimes it takes ingenuity, or compromise.

So...

1. I live in an apartment complex. Buying a bit of land and building my own home would only take me a year and would cost me the same (actually less) per month at the mortgaged rate than what I'm paying now, but it can't be helped right now, as I'm short on funds. Without some funds of my own, I'm unlikely to find a bank willing to extend a revolving line of credit required to build my own home. That'll change after working for a couple of years, but I'm unlikely to break ground until the Spring of 2013.

Apartment complexes can present all sorts of problems during crunch time, and most of those problems are walking around on two legs. When people get hungry, they'll want to eat, and when they're desperately hungry, upwards of a third of them will shed their reservations and do whatever it takes to procure food. If I wanted to mine gold from the community, I could probably stockpile a ton of pancakes and powdered eggs, and simply cook all day. However, that would only last as long as the stockpiles, at which point I'd have to bug out.

If one wants to run a kitchen, one might invest in a large cast-iron cauldron, like this one.

2. I'm overweight. That's both a Weakness as well as a Strength. It's a weakness because I can't carry a backpack 10 miles like I used to. It's a strength because I can last a long time provided I have water.

3. Bad ankle. This should be getting fixed this Fall, at which point it'll no longer be a weakness.

4. I'm minimally armed. I have a very reliable firearm, as well as a black powder backup gun, and tons of ammunition. However, I don't have a long rifle, which comes in handy taking out bad guys before they get close enough to take you out.

5. Aside from my propane grill, which poses serious carbon monoxide risks, I have no auxiliary means of heat.

With this, I'll wait for the rest to catch up. Strengths and Weakness go hand in hand, so this is a good stopping point for a few days.

Travel N Az 120.8° 357 miles and I will bet some room can be found.:cool:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I said I have a First aid kit from HELL ( I am a former first responder ) yeah..I got it all !!! & in serious quantities

Terrific. You're our next thoracic surgeon...

There is more USEFULL survival info in the GENERAL DISCUSSION SURVIVAL THREAD than on this sorry excuse for a Survival Thread...

Nope. Just a lot of drivel, which is why I started this one.

..let me guess you got tired of lurking on the ARFCOM survival forum...

Where? Tell you what - you obviously know more about that place that I'd like to know, so please, by all means, go outside and play. I don't know why some people treat serious issues like these as either an exercise in one-up-manship or like simple children. Gah.

In the meantime, there are serious issues to be covered.

I have two bags just about ready. Since I am in the city area one is just an immediate need of food water basic self defense for a couple of days. Second bag I am working on is going to be a little more if I have to go to nature orientated. In first bag a usb drive with important paperwork in case apartment goes to hell. If some how the DC area really gets hit getting the hell out of dodge and have various meeting points of family and friends starting from 2-3 hours drive to other side of country. Would have enough food and water to make it and would only have to worry about gas which if every pump from here to about 3 hours out loses power or the ability to be used we are going to be in a real world or hurt regardless of plan.
\

You bring up a good point: How far can you get out of Dodge? 1 mile? 10 miles? What about 1,000 miles? The latter is just two months of really hoofing it with time enough to live off the land. By the way, did you know that ALL grass is edible by human beings? That's right. All leaves, roots, and shoots. Obviously the spring shoots are the sweetest - who hasn't pulled 'em and sucked on those as a kid? You can boil the leaves and roots like spinach and carrots, though, and grass is pretty much everywhere. Hard to starve unless you decide "that's not food." Yes, it is food. Use it wisely.

At least there is one good thing about having family all over the country. One set lives in a town so small an invading army would mark it so far down the list for a target that by the time they got there I would probably be dead from old age.[/QUOTE]

Provided they have canned food stores that'll last them and you more than a year.

Last edited: