• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Steamboat Springs?

stmatth2003

I am new to Colorado and Steamboat Springs area. I have a CWP from my home state, but CO does not have reciprocity :( Anyone know what the laws are about OC in Steamboat and/or if you've ever had a problem with OC in Steamboat? Or where I can get further information?

PikesPeakMtnMan

Welcome to Colorado and OCDO!

I can't speak to personal experience in Steamboat since I've never been there but CO as a whole is pretty open carry friendly, assuming you stay out of Denver city limits (where OC is illegal anyway).

since9

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the forums!

I'd start by familiarizing yourself with the various maps, here. Next, review Colorado's Summary Sheet before following the links to the Colorado Statutes.

In a nutshell:

1. Don't OC in either Denver city or Denver county. That includes the corridor leading to Denver International Airport as well as the airport itself.

2. If a building or area is posting either no open carry of firearms or no visual display of firearms, don't OC. Doesn't matter if it's a publicly-owned building like the town hall or a library or a privately-owned facility (includes a private home or business). Don't do it. Also doesn't matter if it's right or not! If you're cited, it's an uphill battle. If something's not right, it's a lot easier to fix it with a few well-written letters than duking things out in a court of law.

That'll keep you out of most trouble. If you have any questions, search the forums. If you can't find what you're looking for, ask away!