• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tidewater members

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I haven't seen any posts from a lot of our Tidewater folks, especially Yorktown area.
I know some, even here don't have power yet like Grapeshot, but I have heard from him.

If anyone down there knows anything, it'd be good to hear they're OK.

45acpForMe

Irene was alot less damaging than Isabell.

I don't know of anyone that lost power for more than a day and flooding was light compared to Isabell.

Other than that I don't know of any members that had issues.

Sometimes people lapse posting because of life schedules or time prioritizations. :)

In other words sh1t happens. ;-)

I have still been posting but not as much and I haven't scheduled any OC dinners because I can't tell from one day to the next whether I can attend or not with my kids schedule. I just got a notice of another mandatory practice running into the picnic so I may have to drop off my contribution and go pick up my daughter from practice and then head back to the picnic.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Glad to hear it wasn't that bad.
I caught the storm a little further north to avoid the interstates and followed it inland from there, then went to Tangier on Wednesday...so I haven't seen York and Charles City yet.

I hadn't seen much activity from the river and bay folks so I thought I'd ask.

Blk97F150

I haven't seen any posts from a lot of our Tidewater folks, especially Yorktown area.
I know some, even here don't have power yet like Grapeshot, but I have heard from him.

If anyone down there knows anything, it'd be good to hear they're OK.

Does Grape need a generator? I have a 4000w one that he can use....

Blk97F150

Ok, if all works out I'm going to ride down for breakfast tomorrow..... if anyone finds out that Grape or Skid needs a generator, please post here and I'll take the truck and bring it down with me.

TFred

This map shows the outages in the Dominion service areas, which are intermingled among many other co-ops, etc.

It's looking MUCH better than just yesterday, when there were still quite a few red icons. The problem is all the blue dots are the small 1-10 customers, which are usually due to trees down on very localized lines. It can take just as long to repair 1 house as 10,000, depending on the nature of the damage.

http://outagemap.dom.com/DomComFlexOutageViewer/index.html

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ok, if all works out I'm going to ride down for breakfast tomorrow..... if anyone finds out that Grape or Skid needs a generator, please post here and I'll take the truck and bring it down with me.

Thanks for the kind offer. I'm back to pre-storm conditions. Grapeshot has been restored as well - at present all he is dealing with are female almost-relations.

stay safe.

Kevin108

I hate even saying this because of how hard so many people I know had it, but we didn't lose power or cable the whole storm, nor did our street flood and the one big branch that fell, landed between the sidewalk and the street.

Blk97F150

Grapeshot has been restored as well - at present all he is dealing with are female almost-relations.

HA! Well, I have no advice to give on that topic (and even if I did, one probably shouldn't follow any of it anyway!! :uhoh: ).

ocholsteroc

Irene was alot less damaging than Isabell.

Yes. We never lost power(though power did flick off about about 30 seconeds at one point or another), though family in Suffolk lost it for about 5 days. I was on the computer during the night of Irene! it wasn't that bad for us.

Last edited:

t33j

We lost power for all of about 4 hours. Nothing really happened. I've been more worried about thunderstorms. :uhoh:

2a4all

We lost power here for about 40 hours (Sat PM to Mon AM). Ran on the generataor and watched the storm on TV. No flooding, lots of twigs and leaves to rake up.

MSC 45ACP

Sorry...

Sorry I haven't posted in quite some time. As some of you know, I had to go back to work (in spite of medical malfunctions).
I've been spending about 96 hours a week in the "cockpit" of a taxicab. I have certainly met some interesting characters in my travels.

We had a "mandatory evacuation order" in my area for the storm, so I packed up the family and headed out to Charlottesville
(Ruckersville to be specific) Saturday.
We returned Sunday to a lot of branches in the yard, blinking electric clocks and nothing more.

I hope to see many of you at the picnic next weekend, but I won't be able to stay long.
Weekends are busy time for cabbies.

wylde007

We lost power here for about 40 hours (Sat PM to Mon AM). Ran on the generator and watched the storm on TV. No flooding, lots of twigs and leaves to rake up.
We were out about 30 hours... but somehow only managed to run about a half-tank on the generator.

I wanted to go out into the neighborhood and lend a hand, but with a newborn and a 2 y.o. it wasn't happening.

I JUST got the yard sorta cleaned up yesterday.

Now we just sit back and wait for Lee or Katia to get here.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Nothing to report from Grafton. No power for about 1 1/2 days, a whole bunch of leaves and small branches to pick up and some spoiled food. No biggie. Even our roadside ditches were enough to handle the run-off.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate the kind offers, but this ol' Boy Scout is still prepared - camp stove and Coleman lanterns.

Left the quite comfort of Powhatan (no power loss) to venture into Richmond to help DoubleTap's mother. Was there 24/7 through Saturday morning when she finally got power, phone service and cable at virtually the same time.

Ran several errands of mercy for the neighbors: ice, drinks and batteries. Was a busy week - never got bored. New motto is "Have Truck - Will Travel" :D