• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New State Law, Cities And Counties Are Scrambling To Get Their Gun Laws Off The Books

Wc

OK, not being from Florida, I have to ask what law the article was talking about. Is this a new Statewide preemption law that was recently passed?

No, please reread the 6th paragraph again:

"All those [local governments] ordinances have been illegal for years because state [preemption] law prevents cities and counties from regulating guns. But a new law, set to take effect Oct. 1, takes it a step further. It allows judgments of up to $100,000 against local governments that enforce such laws. And, in an unusual move, the law also says local officials could be fired and fined $5,000, with no representation from the city or county attorney."

sraacke

no, please reread the 6th paragraph again:

"all those [local governments] ordinances have been illegal for years because state [preemption] law prevents cities and counties from regulating guns. But a new law, set to take effect oct. 1, takes it a step further. It allows judgments of up to $100,000 against local governments that enforce such laws. And, in an unusual move, the law also says local officials could be fired and fined $5,000, with no representation from the city or county attorney."
holy crap!!! That is sweet!

6L6GC

this is good

we need to get something like this here in Virginia. Often local governments and agencies feel that they can just do what ever they want. Usually I think, those involved believe that there is nothing a citizen can do about it. When on the rare occasion they do get reprimanded or even lose in court, they still have absolutely no intention of ceasing the abuse of citizen's rights because they feel that the loss is an isolated case, and even more importantly they suffered no negative consequences on a personal level.

Personally, I would see the fine and raise some jail time for the second (or greater) offense.

roN

Sonora Rebel

Chief Chuck Harmon is going to have to address the JBT mentality of some of his officers it would appear. 'Unintentional'? As in... false arrest, unlawful confiscation of property, false imprisonment of a citizen only to claim 'Oh... my bad... Sorry.' (wink-wink) later down the road? Again... what part of 'Shall Not Be Infringed' don't they understand?

j4l

Dont get too excited.
It's a half-assed consolation prize over non-issues,handed out so that the same Legislature that bent us over on Open Carry over the concerns of a GROCERY STORE CHAIN (mostly) ,can gloss over that fact, and try to look like they did something "pro-gun" for us.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"All those [local governments] ordinances have been illegal for years because state [preemption] law prevents cities and counties from regulating guns. But a new law, set to take effect Oct. 1, takes it a step further. It allows judgments of up to $100,000 against local governments that enforce such laws. And, in an unusual move, the law also says local officials could be fired and fined $5,000, with no representation from the city or county attorney."

I like that! Wish we had something like that plastered all over our own state's capitol, the People's Democratic Republic of Denver.