• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rocky Mtn National Park OC??

Keens

Hello All!

Well, after a stupid crazy week at work, I AM ready for a 3 day weekend! Then my folks texted me and need about 18 hours worth of my help at their business this weekend, ugh! But I could use the extra money as I've been dreaming about this S&W 686 .357 Mag for quite some time! I plan to buy it through BudsGunshop.com as their prices are much cheaper than the local gun shop! I have fired the 686 and I absolutely love it! It's my favorite! To me, it's well-balanced for a .357 mag! I shoot it better than my S&W .40! Well, I'd probably would've had my 686 now if I didn't buy a vintage dirt bike to restore! Now that bike is nearly done, I need to sell it to stock up on ammo, plus a CCW! Those take less space than a motorcycle.

Well, I plan to head up to Rocky Mountain National Park on Sunday, and would like to get some more info on OC there. I did hear somewhere they changed the rules, but just wanna check first. Anybody OC there?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hi, Keens! Yes, you're cool to OC in RMNP. The buildings where federal employees work are off limits. This includes visitors centers and ranger stations. Might include a gift shop if feds work there.

The change went into effect in the Spring of 2010. It gave carrying a firearm in National Parks the same legal status as afforded by state laws.

Keens

Hi, Keens! Yes, you're cool to OC in RMNP. The buildings where federal employees work are off limits. This includes visitors centers and ranger stations. Might include a gift shop if feds work there.

The change went into effect in the Spring of 2010. It gave carrying a firearm in National Parks the same legal status as afforded by state laws.

Hello Since9,

Thank you for clearing that up for me! I didnt get a chance to head there today, and the folks need some help Monday, so I'm gonna try for next weekend. I'll disarm when I go into the NP buildings but re-arm once I get back to my car and while hiking.

Keens

Keens

youll be ok...i carried because i was rather paranoid about being stalked by mountain lions while hiking in the back-country there around dusk

Mountain lions stalk at all times! Most of the time they remain well hidden! Ive never seen one, i know they hide very well and do their beat to remain hidden! They are cats after all! I carry in the mountains mainly for this reason! Bears aren't a problem to me, most scare easily and run away. Unless it's a mother and her cubs, that's a different story!

M-Taliesin

Mountain lions stalk at all times! Most of the time they remain well hidden! Ive never seen one, i know they hide very well and do their beat to remain hidden! They are cats after all! I carry in the mountains mainly for this reason! Bears aren't a problem to me, most scare easily and run away. Unless it's a mother and her cubs, that's a different story!

Howdy Friends and Neighbors!
I once worked right outside of Yellowstone. I enjoyed hiking in the hills around our living area. Folks told me that I should look out for bears. I told them I could run pretty fast (I used to run marathons just for fun!!!!). They explained that a bear can outrun a quarter horse in the short run, and could hit up to 30 MPH on the run. I explained to them that this assumes the bear has dry footing. If he is chasing after me, he ain't gonna have that luxury!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Howdy Friends and Neighbors!
I once worked right outside of Yellowstone. I enjoyed hiking in the hills around our living area. Folks told me that I should look out for bears. I told them I could run pretty fast (I used to run marathons just for fun!!!!). They explained that a bear can outrun a quarter horse in the short run, and could hit up to 30 MPH on the run. I explained to them that this assumes the bear has dry footing. If he is chasing after me, he ain't gonna have that luxury!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Guy walks into a gunshop and says he wants to buy a nice big pistol for protection against grizzlies while backpacking.

Shopman puts a gun on the counter and tells the man about the features and quality. He then advises him to keep it well-oiled and file off the front sight.

"What for?" the man asks.

"So it'll hurt less when the bear takes it away from you and shoves it up your @$$."

Seriously, for most critters, bear spray and an air horn are your best defense. Not many handguns are going to do you a lot of good.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Seriously, for most critters, bear spray and an air horn are your best defense. Not many handguns are going to do you a lot of good.

You'd be surprised. Black bears aren't terribly aggressive and they do not like loud noises. Whenever I'm hiking the back country, I carry a Fox-40 whistle around my neck, a firearm, and a can of the most potent mace I can find. Yes, I'd rather use the mace than a firearm, but rest assured if the critter does anything other than back off it'll quickly learn it should have.

The Fox-40 is about 1% the weight of an air horn.