• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2012 "Public safety agenda"

wylde007

So-called parking lot bills preclude the parking lot owner (aka employer) from prohibiting an employee from bringing a loaded firearm onto the premises in his/her vehicle. The exceptions to 18.2-308.1 (set forth in 18.2-308) do just that for a K-12 school.
Last year's so-called parking lot bill gave the employer the option... something they already had.

Last year's parking lot bill was absolute rubbish.

2a4all

I think the section you bolded is saying exactly the opposite. I read it to say that K-12 schools are exempt from the parking lot bill meaning they CAN ban firearms locked in vehicles unattended. It also seems they would also allow employers to ban guns in company owned vehicles.
Public schools probably would, if it weren't for state preemption. I wonder how municipal employee rules (that restrict firearms possession) apply to school system employees (policy v law?). Private schools are another matter.