Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter OC Holster

Question Winter OC Holster

does anyone have advice on what type of holster would be best for winter OC? my coats and jackets would more than likely make it very difficult to not conceal it with my regular hip holster and i cant get my cpl until June of next year at the earliest. opinions and advice is welcome, thanks in advance. (of course i don't mean when its snowing or blowing snow, just calm winter days)

Seems you have a few choices, one you could use a thigh holster, two buy short coats, buy a duty drop holster, or do as I do wear the gun belt on the outside of the coat.

i have a tactical drop holster i got from army surplus store it works ok tends to crimp up my pants but i can live with that i was just looking for a few more choices, i never thought about wearing a belt outside the coat lol. was thinking the drop holster or maybe a shoulder rig,always like to get opinions from a few ppl at least

Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    i have a tactical drop holster i got from army surplus store it works ok tends to crimp up my pants but i can live with that i was just looking for a few more choices, i never thought about wearing a belt outside the coat lol. was thinking the drop holster or maybe a shoulder rig,always like to get opinions from a few ppl at least
    I like wearing the belt outside the coat as it leaves me with the holster and setup I am used to. If I am only going to be out of the car long enough to go into a business then I just use a short jacket. Just when you look for a belt get one with some leeway. A lot depends on the type of holster, a paddle holster probably would not work well in this fashion. I personally never cared for tactical holsters that rode low on the leg, but that is just a personal preference.

Banned
    leg drop

Banned
    You should be able to get a CPL in hand by the time it gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    You should be able to get a CPL in hand by the time it gets cold.
    I'm betting the wait is because of age. I simply tuck my winter coat behind the gun and I have yet to have an issues with it. Do check every now and then to make sure its still open but it hs never not been.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    You're probably right.

leg drop

You're on okcupid, eh?

Me too...
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    I thought I ran into you on the forums somewhere, do you use them? Im not on very often, but once in a while.

I went under the name Meplat, and right now, its censorshit
    Last edited by stainless1911; 09-04-2011 at 12:32 AM.

leg drop

Custom made drop leg holsters designed to blow a big hole in your knee are the best.

Banned
    Actually, that wasnt my home made one, it was a gift from someone here on OCDO, a nicely crafted holster I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    designed to blow a big hole in your knee
    That was also the first thing I thought when I saw that setup. The foot will be toast too.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

@ stainless
    that looks alot like that drop leg holster except its tan, if i wear it to the front like that it tends to point itself right at my knee but it i move it directly to my side it points down as it should.
    @xmenhockey
    you are correct it is because of age i will turn 21 next june

Banned
    Moved it forward for the photo, we were having a picnic in Pontiac last year.

@ stainless
    that looks alot like that drop leg holster except its tan, if i wear it to the front like that it tends to point itself right at my knee but it i move it directly to my side it points down as it should.
    @xmenhockey
    you are correct it is because of age i will turn 21 next june
    I know the feeling. I'm not 21 until May in a couple years.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

I did the whole tuck your coat behind the gun method but I felt I looked ridiculous because it threw off the symmetry of my coat, and it looked as if I were trying too hard, as if I were saying Hey everyone look at me, I have a GUN!

So I ordered one of those security guard coats that was designed with open carry in mind, with slits on each side. Admittedly, it isnt very fashionable but I dont care about that (I dress around my gun and armor these days - that IS my fashion statement lol), what I care about most is accessing my handgun in a flash, and with the security guard coat, its still right where Im accustomed. Whats more I dont have to worry about accidentally concealing, wondering whether my coat has draped over my handgun.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

yea accidental concealing is a big worry cause i don't have the CPL the security guard coat sounds like a good idea where would you suggest i go to find one?

yea accidental concealing is a big worry cause i don't have the CPL the security guard coat sounds like a good idea where would you suggest i go to find one?
    This is where I purchased mine: http://www.securitywearhouse.com/sec...rka-p/568m.htm.

However if you find this one too militant looking just look at "parka" style coats and ensure they have the side slits/vents and you should be fine.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

does anyone have advice on what type of holster would be best for winter OC? my coats and jackets would more than likely make it very difficult to not conceal it with my regular hip holster
    "Lowering Serpa non-duty holster to below waist level"

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ow-waist-level
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

I just got a 5.11 winter coat with zip up slits on the side but from what I've found it'll end up concealed it but if I leave them zipped down the jacket doesn't go down very far and doesn't conceal it.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I know the feeling. I'm not 21 until May in a couple years.
    Gee I won't turn 21 for another 6 decades. I guess if you like drop leg holsters that is ok, I don't like anything that flops around when doing chores. I also think it makes it harder for weapon retention if someone actually does try to make a grab. Course with me they have to sustain cane blows to get that close. When I am not doing chores I carry a 3ft dogwood cane, no I don't actually need one but they are a legal baton. It is not heavy enough to break bones but it gets the point across.

Banned
    I modified a Serpa to a leg drop as well, dang thing works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Gee I won't turn 21 for another 6 decades. I guess if you like drop leg holsters that is ok, I don't like anything that flops around when doing chores. I also think it makes it harder for weapon retention if someone actually does try to make a grab. Course with me they have to sustain cane blows to get that close. When I am not doing chores I carry a 3ft dogwood cane, no I don't actually need one but they are a legal baton. It is not heavy enough to break bones but it gets the point across.
    i dont understand what you mean "flop around" mine stay right where i put it as long as the straps are tight. its just a thumb break but it sits directly under my hand when arms are hanging down so im not sure as i haven't tested how hard it would be to grab(tested with a buddy on my hip holster) but it has decent retention IMO
    thanks for your opinion i will be sure to try my grab test b4 i start OCing with it

i dont understand what you mean "flop around" mine stay right where i put it as long as the straps are tight. its just a thumb break but it sits directly under my hand when arms are hanging down so im not sure as i haven't tested how hard it would be to grab(tested with a buddy on my hip holster) but it has decent retention IMO
    thanks for your opinion i will be sure to try my grab test b4 i start OCing with it
    My property consists of dense woods in places, I chop wood and do other chores where I like my gun high and close so it does not hang up on anything. You would be surprised how things flop around when on the run, such as a couple of times fighting brush fires. For an old fart I am active, so if there is the least chance of any equipment moving around it is not for me. Nothing personal just my preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast