• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter OC Holster

RenkaiWulf

does anyone have advice on what type of holster would be best for winter OC? my coats and jackets would more than likely make it very difficult to not conceal it with my regular hip holster and i cant get my cpl until June of next year at the earliest. opinions and advice is welcome, thanks in advance. (of course i don't mean when its snowing or blowing snow, just calm winter days)

WalkingWolf

Seems you have a few choices, one you could use a thigh holster, two buy short coats, buy a duty drop holster, or do as I do wear the gun belt on the outside of the coat.

RenkaiWulf

i have a tactical drop holster i got from army surplus store it works ok tends to crimp up my pants but i can live with that i was just looking for a few more choices, i never thought about wearing a belt outside the coat lol. was thinking the drop holster or maybe a shoulder rig,always like to get opinions from a few ppl at least :)

WalkingWolf

i have a tactical drop holster i got from army surplus store it works ok tends to crimp up my pants but i can live with that i was just looking for a few more choices, i never thought about wearing a belt outside the coat lol. was thinking the drop holster or maybe a shoulder rig,always like to get opinions from a few ppl at least :)

I like wearing the belt outside the coat as it leaves me with the holster and setup I am used to. If I am only going to be out of the car long enough to go into a business then I just use a short jacket. Just when you look for a belt get one with some leeway. A lot depends on the type of holster, a paddle holster probably would not work well in this fashion. I personally never cared for tactical holsters that rode low on the leg, but that is just a personal preference.

stainless1911

Banned
leg drop

1911.jpg

xmanhockey7

You should be able to get a CPL in hand by the time it gets cold.

I'm betting the wait is because of age. I simply tuck my winter coat behind the gun and I have yet to have an issues with it. Do check every now and then to make sure its still open but it hs never not been.

RenkaiWulf

@ stainless
that looks alot like that drop leg holster except its tan, if i wear it to the front like that it tends to point itself right at my knee :shocker: but it i move it directly to my side it points down as it should.
@xmenhockey
you are correct it is because of age i will turn 21 next june

xmanhockey7

@ stainless
that looks alot like that drop leg holster except its tan, if i wear it to the front like that it tends to point itself right at my knee :shocker: but it i move it directly to my side it points down as it should.
@xmenhockey
you are correct it is because of age i will turn 21 next june

I know the feeling. I'm not 21 until May in a couple years.

cmdr_iceman71

I did the whole tuck your coat behind the gun method but I felt I looked ridiculous because it threw off the symmetry of my coat, and it looked as if I were trying too hard, as if I were saying “Hey everyone look at me, I have a GUN!”

So I ordered one of those security guard coats that was designed with open carry in mind, with slits on each side. Admittedly, it isn’t very fashionable but I don’t care about that (I dress around my gun and armor these days - that IS my fashion statement lol), what I care about most is accessing my handgun in a flash, and with the security guard coat, it’s still right where I’m accustomed. What’s more I don’t have to worry about accidentally concealing, wondering whether my coat has draped over my handgun.

RenkaiWulf

yea accidental concealing is a big worry cause i don't have the CPL the security guard coat sounds like a good idea where would you suggest i go to find one?

cmdr_iceman71