• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter OC Holster

xmanhockey7

I just got a 5.11 winter coat with zip up slits on the side but from what I've found it'll end up concealed it but if I leave them zipped down the jacket doesn't go down very far and doesn't conceal it.

WalkingWolf

I know the feeling. I'm not 21 until May in a couple years.

Gee I won't turn 21 for another 6 decades. I guess if you like drop leg holsters that is ok, I don't like anything that flops around when doing chores. I also think it makes it harder for weapon retention if someone actually does try to make a grab. Course with me they have to sustain cane blows to get that close. When I am not doing chores I carry a 3ft dogwood cane, no I don't actually need one but they are a legal baton. It is not heavy enough to break bones but it gets the point across.

RenkaiWulf

Gee I won't turn 21 for another 6 decades. I guess if you like drop leg holsters that is ok, I don't like anything that flops around when doing chores. I also think it makes it harder for weapon retention if someone actually does try to make a grab. Course with me they have to sustain cane blows to get that close. When I am not doing chores I carry a 3ft dogwood cane, no I don't actually need one but they are a legal baton. It is not heavy enough to break bones but it gets the point across.

i dont understand what you mean "flop around" mine stay right where i put it as long as the straps are tight. its just a thumb break but it sits directly under my hand when arms are hanging down so im not sure as i haven't tested how hard it would be to grab(tested with a buddy on my hip holster) but it has decent retention IMO
thanks for your opinion i will be sure to try my grab test b4 i start OCing with it :)

WalkingWolf

i dont understand what you mean "flop around" mine stay right where i put it as long as the straps are tight. its just a thumb break but it sits directly under my hand when arms are hanging down so im not sure as i haven't tested how hard it would be to grab(tested with a buddy on my hip holster) but it has decent retention IMO
thanks for your opinion i will be sure to try my grab test b4 i start OCing with it :)

My property consists of dense woods in places, I chop wood and do other chores where I like my gun high and close so it does not hang up on anything. You would be surprised how things flop around when on the run, such as a couple of times fighting brush fires. For an old fart I am active, so if there is the least chance of any equipment moving around it is not for me. Nothing personal just my preference.

RenkaiWulf

yea in the woods i understand alot of things for it to get caught on, im no where near the woods now but i lived near dense woods from the time i was 3 till i was 13 so i know how bad it can get, hell sometimes its a wonder your shirt doesnt get torn off :lol:

cmdr_iceman71

The only reason I don’t like the gun belt totally outside the coat is because there is point of vulnerability for a gun grab when removing it and having to put it back on that is if you are going into establishments where you will be inside for awhile and will need to remove your coat. I humbly suggest going inside a bathroom stall to make the transition.

Admittedly when cycling on my bicycle in cold weather I will wear my gun belt completely on the outside of my coat but then that’s because I have no plans on removing it.

WalkingWolf

The only reason I don’t like the gun belt totally outside the coat is because there is point of vulnerability for a gun grab when removing it and having to put it back on that is if you are going into establishments where you will be inside for awhile and will need to remove your coat. I humbly suggest going inside a bathroom stall to make the transition.

Admittedly when cycling on my bicycle in cold weather I will wear my gun belt completely on the outside of my coat but then that’s because I have no plans on removing it.

I either wear a short jacket or go to the restroom to make the transition. Just my opinion but making the transition in public might upset someone more than a gun grab. I never let anybody get that close anyway. Getting face to face with strangers is risky and I am not talking about guns. I don't want other people germs. If someone talks to me and they want to get close I politely ask them to step back, or cover my mouth and nose and back up. I don't like hospitals and I don't like being sick. While I rarely get the flu, if I do my body shuts down.

Evil Creamsicle

Last edited:

Scotchman

Michigan Winter Open Carry

Yep. And that goes triple, maybe more, for someone without a CPL. There can be no accidental concealment this way, and availability is optimal.

How much of the Gun must be visible outside of the holster to still be considered Open Carry?

I have a CPL and am trying to decide what method to use for Church. ALSO, one could get a flapped holster for outdoor use but would that be considered concealed?

Simply put; What part of "Concealed" is dictated by the choice in Holsters?

Last edited:

fozzy71

I only wear a coat (and CC as a result) when it is raining or snowing. In the winter I dress in layers: under-armor/long-johns if necessary, otherwise I just layer a t-shirt and some sort of long-sleeved shirt/sweat-shirt that I can tuck in and still OC. If I go somewhere that I have to stay for a while, and get too hot, I will go to the restroom and remove as many layers as necessary to be comfortable.

xmanhockey7

How much of the Gun must be visible outside of the holster to still be considered Open Carry?

I have a CPL and am trying to decide what method to use for Church. ALSO, one could get a flapped holster for outdoor use but would that be considered concealed?

Simply put; What part of "Concealed" is dictated by the choice in Holsters?

There's no official definition in Michigan.

To me an inside the waist band (IWB) holster that allows the gun to still be visible is still open carry. An outside the waist band (OWB) holster is def still OC. The flap would depend on the holster. If it is visible that there is indeed a gun in there IMHO yes you would still be open carrying. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
IWB holsters ~= CC

OWB holsters = OC

Flap holsters worn OWB = OC

I'd like you on my jury! Remember, most here would not get any grief for this. But some may, and it could be serious...so I would only be willing to push the issue if I could afford to be found wrong. With a CPL, it wouldn't matter as much as it would being without one. Remember also, most jury members may not agree with you.

stainless1911

Banned
I didnt think he had an objection to thier use. Although an AGO isnt binding to a case, just an opinion, if one were requested in your particular case, the AG might say that the question had been answered. That might then count as applicable to your case.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I didnt think he had an objection to thier use. Although an AGO isnt binding to a case, just an opinion, if one were requested in your particular case, the AG might say that the question had been answered. That might then count as applicable to your case.

I have no problem with the notion that flap holsters would meet the definition of carrying openly in a holster. In fact I've carried in such a manner and consider it OC. But, my opinion is only important if I'm sitting on a jury. Like I tried to convey, some people may not see it this way... that is my concern. Try to remember we can mmqb this to death, but really those types of questions are academic because a jury could disagree and someone could be jacked up over this.