• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many guns can are legal

Rick H

How many guns are legal?

How many guns can I carry with my permit in florida legally?

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
poker-face.png

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
My understanding is that there is no limit in Florida. I looked around for a cite but couldn't find one. Maybe someone else could help with that.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm still looking for the law that says how many pairs of socks I can wear...or the one that says how many rings I can wear...I just can't seem to find the statute for this anywhere!

77zach

I thought that under the new sb234 law that it mentioned some where
That it said (A) handgun. I could be mistaken!

Before the bill was nuked, one of the amendments did say a permitee could "openly carry a handgun." You can conceal as many as you want.

Rich7553

Even had SB234 passed with the "openly carry a handgun" caveat, the intent of the legislature was clearly not to place a limit on the number of handguns one could openly carry, any more than this...

A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into...

implies that a licensee could therefore legally carry more than one firearm in a prohibited place under the provisions of FSS §790.06(12) because the prohibition states "a handgun".

Rick H

Even had SB234 passed with the "openly carry a handgun" caveat, the intent of the legislature was clearly not to place a limit on the number of handguns one could openly carry, any more than this...

A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into...

implies that a licensee could therefore legally carry more than one firearm in a prohibited place under the provisions of FSS §790.06(12) because the prohibition states "a handgun".

Thanks Rich, The reason for my question is because I read this from a poster in USACARRY.com,

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/12739-how-many-can-you-carry.html
How Many guns is too many?
I am not an attorney and this is not construed to give anyone legal advice or training. I am a state licensed firearms instructor and I am licensed to teach the law concerning firearms in Florida. This is how I know it.

Read your Florida CWOF (not CWP or CCWP) license title. The title states "Weapon" or "Firearm" in singular, not plural. Thus, the law (as defined on your license) now only allows you to carry one or the other, not both or more than one of either.

This not prevent you from carrying one gun legally in the car and one on your body if licensed as a Florida CWOFL holder, but an argument could be made against you for carrying a weapon (knife or other) AND a gun on you if a cop has arresting issues with you and exercised his leverage.

It was recently changed from a "permit" to a "license" to make it revocable or suspended under state law at anytime just like your Drivers license. It is no longer a "permit"-ed right you purchase, but a "licensed" privilege you are granted by the state. This change helped it to conform to many other states thus allowing reciprocity to expand.

Something that slipped by the legal eagles watching out for our rights while they were fighting to keep the license fund from being raided.

I would welcome other opinions on this subject, especially from state "K" licensed instructors.

TG
Jim Stephens, LPI, LEFI
Trusted Armament - 561 282-0777
Firearms, Training, and Services for Personal Protection

Last edited:

Rich7553

Thanks Rich, The reason for my question is because I read this from a poster in USACARRY.com,

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/12739-how-many-can-you-carry.html
How Many guns is too many?
I am not an attorney and this is not construed to give anyone legal advice or training. I am a state licensed firearms instructor and I am licensed to teach the law concerning firearms in Florida. This is how I know it.

Read your Florida CWOF (not CWP or CCWP) license title. The title states "Weapon" or "Firearm" in singular, not plural. Thus, the law (as defined on your license) now only allows you to carry one or the other, not both or more than one of either.

This not prevent you from carrying one gun legally in the car and one on your body if licensed as a Florida CWOFL holder, but an argument could be made against you for carrying a weapon (knife or other) AND a gun on you if a cop has arresting issues with you and exercised his leverage.

It was recently changed from a "permit" to a "license" to make it revocable or suspended under state law at anytime just like your Drivers license. It is no longer a "permit"-ed right you purchase, but a "licensed" privilege you are granted by the state. This change helped it to conform to many other states thus allowing reciprocity to expand.

Something that slipped by the legal eagles watching out for our rights while they were fighting to keep the license fund from being raided.

I would welcome other opinions on this subject, especially from state "K" licensed instructors.

TG
Jim Stephens, LPI, LEFI
Trusted Armament - 561 282-0777
Firearms, Training, and Services for Personal Protection

I have never heard of any case where a licensed individual was harassed, arrested, charged, or prosecuted for carrying more than a single weapon. And this guy's teaching the legal aspects of carry? Sheesh!