• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCDL picnic coverage

KIX

Not that bad.

His shorthand must be rough..... he took 4 separate comments and merged them to make me look like an anti-government nutter! Not totally wrong, but.......

I laughed when I read it.

Jonathan

Freiheit417

Not that bad.

His shorthand must be rough..... he took 4 separate comments and merged them to make me look like an anti-government nutter! Not totally wrong, but.......

I laughed when I read it.

Jonathan

From the article:
"He says "law enforcement are not the first responders, we are. It's up to you to protect yourself. Do you want to rely on the system or yourself? I'd rather take my chances with myself.""

I don't think he made you sound like a "nutter" at all. The courts have ruled over and over again that the police (government agents) are not responsible for your individual safety, rather only for the safety of the public as a whole. In other words, you're on your own. If you dial 911 and the police do not respond in time to save you, then they're not liable.

". . . a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen . . ."
Reference: Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181) >> http://www.mcrkba.org/w19.html

More here as well: http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

KIX

Oh, no doubt.

Castle Rock v. Gonzalez sums that up rather well. The way he trimmed it down I thought came out a bit different than when I said it. But no matter, we are the first responders and I stand by that comment. Once the federal court system created that precedent, there was indeed no doubt in my mind.

All in all, the coverage was decent.

Jonathan