• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help! looking at another carry gun!

tim12232

Hello, I have been searching for months for my next gun, everytime I think I have made my decision something else comes along to ruin it :banghead:

I have been looking at a glock 19 for a while, and pretty much had my mind made up, but I would be going with the gen4 because it fits my hand much much better. There have been alot of issues though about the gun not liking 115gr loads and also throwing brass in the face.

I also like the FNX9 alot, only worry is the mag release and the backstraps coming loose. "more parts, more possible issues"
Then yesterday I was looking the FNX when I saw they had a Sig p229 enhanced elite, this is a bit steep in price, but oh boy do i love the way that gun feels in the hand, the short reset trigger is amazing, and I am comfortable enough with DA/SA setups. Also I shoot the sig more accurately than the glock 19, but both have only been range guns, and I will improve on both.

Being I am considering the Sig, I have to also now consider the HK P30, a little less money, but again, what a great feel in the hand. That said the p30 is probably the least likely I would go with unless I could find it with the safety on the side, "I know Sig and glock dont have safety, but I would like it on the FNX and P30.

Any experiences? I am not one to trade guns alot, and would like this 9mm to be one I keep for a VERY long time, my normal EDC is a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander.

Please help any way you can!

Thanks

Tim

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have you discussed this with your current carry gun?:uhoh:

And why are you even bothering to look at eruro-wenie pellet throwers?:shocker: None of them shoot a caliber that begins with 4. The reason they have magazines that hold so many rounds is that it takes more than one magazine's worth of shooting to acomplish what one .45acp can.

If you are really interested in a new shooter, why not look at a real man's gun - something that goes round and round instead of feeding from the bottom. You can get something in a caliber beginning with 4 and a barrel as short as 1 7/8 inches or as long as you feel the need to compensate for.:lol: With a little bit of training and practice you can do your own barrel swapping (much less expensive than buying a whole new gun) before you branch out into making your own holsters. Then all you will be buying will be custom-carved stocks ("grips" to bottom-feeder owners).

Hope setting you on the straight road has helped.

stay safe.

SovereignAxe

You left a lot of open questions here. First off, what do you already own, so nobody suggests something you already have. Also, are you just looking for 9mm? I know the Sig is available (and well known for) in .357 SIG, a round which is, while a little on the pricy side, much more powerful than 9mm.

From what you've stated, I would go with the Glock or the Sig. The FN and the HK seem like good guns, but are rarer and will be harder to find accessories for. Plus you don't seem as enthusiastic about them as you do the Glock and Sig.

Since you said you shoot better with the Sig, I say go for that one. What you shoot the best is what matters if it's to be a carry gun. Also, if you get the .357 model you can convert it to 9mm. If you come back and say that you shoot well with the HK and FN, that'll change things.

SovereignAxe

Looks like skidmark is trying to tell you to step back to the 1960s and buy a big bore wheel gun. What a crazy crazy man. Maybe time travel is possible. :p

Btw, Glock and H&K make a couple of guns that shoot bullets that start with 4 and have a capacity of more than 8. Welcome to the 21st century ;)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
On the FNH front I have an FNP-40. It is the earlier edition of the FNX. Has at least 1000 rounds through it an has no FTFs or any other issues. Utterly reliable. I agree with Skid about getting something that starts with a 4.

tim12232

I Do have something that starts with 4.....its called a Dan Wesson .45 bobtail commander. "its in the first post too"

I want a 9 because flame if you will, modern 9mm defense rounds are so close to a 40S&W that Im really not concerned and they arent as snappy as the .40 is "my .45 isnt even as snappy".

9 is also alot cheaper to shoot frequently, and I havent really taken to reloading yet.

So thats why I have looked at the above mentioned guns, and sorry, If and when I get a revolver, it will be nothing more than range duty.

Tim

SovereignAxe

Ok, sounds like you and I feel the same about .40 S&W - pointless. A 10% increase in performance over 9mm with a 20% decrease in ammo capacity. Plus I have access to reloading tools for 9mm, but not .40.

Also, for the record, I LOVE my Blackhawk .357. It's a tack driver at 50 yards with the right ammo. But the SAA design became outdated a hundred years ago, so I'd never carry it except to show it off.

WalkingWolf

Ok, sounds like you and I feel the same about .40 S&W - pointless. A 10% increase in performance over 9mm with a 20% decrease in ammo capacity. Plus I have access to reloading tools for 9mm, but not .40.

Also, for the record, I LOVE my Blackhawk .357. It's a tack driver at 50 yards with the right ammo. But the SAA design became outdated a hundred years ago, so I'd never carry it except to show it off.

This is what is important, most gunfights are over in a few rounds. And most times with civilians there are not multiple targets. If a person can get a shot off quickly and accurately that is what counts. I'll take accuracy any day over caliber size and magazine capacity. If accuracy was all the same I would take caliber size over magazine capacity.

SovereignAxe

This is what is important, most gunfights are over in a few rounds. And most times with civilians there are not multiple targets. If a person can get a shot off quickly and accurately that is what counts. I'll take accuracy any day over caliber size and magazine capacity. If accuracy was all the same I would take caliber size over magazine capacity.

That's why I got my Walther. Dead on accurate, high capacity, and shoots much faster than I could ever fire a wheel gun. In the heat of the moment I would never trust myself to pull back a hammer every time I wanted to shoot my weapon AND shoot accurately. It's DA/SA or semi-auto SA for me. DAO and I don't get along at all.

rscottie

I want many guns. My wish list includes a new .22 of some sort, mainly for cheapness of shooting, a Taurus 1911 because I've never had one and they are beautiful, a Ruger Mini-30 for the zombies, oh shoot, this list would be a mile long as there are so many choices and so little $.

I found two of my favorite guns at a Pawn Shop, one was used, a Taurus Model 65 that I purchased around 1994 that had barely been shot, and my Taurus PT145 Gen 3 that I got NIB about a year or so ago. Both of them just felt good in my hand.

I do not think I will ever buy a gun without holding it first. They have to feel right in your hand.

So, go to as many gun stores as possible and start fondling guns, that is the way I do it!

45acpForMe

There are so many good guns out there but I am definitely a Sig fan. I personally like the P220 45acp stainless elite which has the same short reset trigger, beaver tail, night sights. All of the guns are fine but I think the Sig stands out AND you shoot it better than the others. The hundred or two more you pay for the Sig won't matter 20 years from now.

I don't own any Glocks (tempted at times just for fun) but do own H&K USP and a FNP-45. Both are good guns from good manufacturers. I really like the H&K and use it for daily carry alot. The FNP-45 has had a limited selection of holsters so I haven't carried it much.

Basically you can't make a wrong choice! If it is just a plinking gun it doesn't matter much which you choose but if you do ever plan to carry it as a BUG or primary I would still go with the Sig.

tim12232

Well, I really liked the sig, but in the end I went with a tried and true Glock 19. I have a beautiful Dan Wesson Cbob in .45, that I will still carry 70 percent of the time, and its the sweetest shooting gun ive ever tried! But the Glock is nice and simple that if Im not home, my "TRAINED" family can go for it, and not be confused in a split second situation. It was also half the price of the sig, and should a SHTF situation ever arise, "everyone has a glock" and parts will be readily available.

Tim

45acpForMe

I'm sure the Glock will make you happy and you have more money for ammo now. :)

I love the CBOB Dan Wesson model. I can't figure out why they stopped producing them! I shot my friends CBOB and loved it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I own Glocks (all gen 3's) and my primary carry piece for both open and concealed carry is one of my Glock 23's (.40S&W). But I do have other guns in my carry stable from which to choose should I perceive the need or desire.

You might want to consider the Smith and Wesson M&P semi-auto series in your selection process. These are fine pistols and are available in the three most popular calibers. If you do decide to go with one of these, definitely install the Apex USB (Ultimate Striker Block). M&P's are notorious for having a bad trigger.. as in a very gritty/sandy feel in the takeup. The Apex USB completely eliminates this, resulting in a huge difference in the M&P trigger.

Last edited:

cbpeck

I had the pleasure of shooting the H&K P30 once upon a time.

It was a very nice gun. It felt much better in my hand than the Sig 229, seemed to have a slimmer profile, and had noticeably less recoil than any of the other guns I was testing in its class. I ended up passing on it in favor of an XD SC because the P30 was simply too big for CC duty. I should note that all of the guns I was testing were in .40 S&W. I'll let that discussion rest, though.

In response to the person who said accessories may be hard to find, what would you need? Mags come from H&K, anything rail mounted is compatible, and holsters can easily be sourced through any of the well known custom guys. I suppose if you insist upon a Serpa you may have a problem. Otherwise, I think that if you really like a certain gun its worth a little time & money to get the right holster(s). The cost of holsters, in comparison to guns, is negligible.

Marco

my normal EDC is a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander.

Please help any way you can!

Thanks

Tim

Why not stay with a 1911 style firearm since your are comfortable with it and funds don't seem to be the issue.
The Coonan is multi caliber (.38spl & .357mag), uses many of the same holsters that can be used for a standard 1911, ammo is easily found (no need for exotic ammo), no one can argue the merits of .357 mag especially when a 5" bbl S/A generates the same energy as a 6" bbl wheelgun.
Don't let the fireball scare you just choose your carry ammo carefully, as an added bonus the weight absorbs almost all of the recoil.

The folks over at Coonan Inc are top notch and you get something that isn't run of the mill.

As far as the "Trained" family members that might use it why confuse them, with a diffferent system?
Stay with the same system you are currently using and they'll be no confusion, leave the DW at home for them to use. :)

There is also the Colt Delta Elite and other 1911's in 10mm, let us not forget with a simple barrel swap (1911 or Glock 20/29) chambered in 10mm can fire 40SW, .357sig, 9x25Dillion and with the glock you can add 22LR to that list with a conversion kit.

Attachments

• splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Michigander

Personally, I suggest DA/SA only if you really like the concept and are willing to put a lot of extra practice time into the equation over a constant action trigger, which would generally be preferable to the difficult DA to SA transition. Under absolutely no circumstance would I ever for any reason suggest a thumb safety on a carry gun. As a best case scenario it's a mechanical roadblock to self defense which you can practice your way to getting around. Not a useful object. Your holster should be your safety. Aside from that, your best bet is to always try out your options, then buy and carry your favorite.

Thinking this way can end up being dangerous. To assume that with adrenalin flowing hard, after you're caught by surprise, when an assailant is 6 feet or less from you and moving rapidly maybe in the dark, maybe after you've been beat, stabbed or shot already, that you're going to be able to shoot accurately, that's a pretty steep assumption, one which when you take a look at it would be an extreme exception to the rule. It's an attitude which Jeff Cooper and other gun raggers have been touting for decades, and it's "worked" to the extent that most readers don't actually have a tendency to get into gun fights.

Last edited: