• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In Alexandria, VA?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I live in the unincorporated Fairfax County area of Alexandria, not the city, and OC here all the time. I've also carried in and around Alexandria city with no negative experiences, but I haven't been everywhere.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
About three years ago an OCer was illegally detained and removed from a Barnes & Noble bookstore by Alexandria PD. Of course, the cops stonewalled the formal complaint and FOIA requests.

But, since then I don't think there have been any problems. Since then we've had plenty of reports from OCers walking around Old Town seeing the sights or certain events with no problems. I have this vague recollection that some were even directly observed by police without the police taking action.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
About three years ago an OCer was illegally detained and removed from a Barnes & Noble bookstore by Alexandria PD. Of course, the cops stonewalled the formal complaint and FOIA requests.

This isn't good. I OC frequently at the Barnes and Noble in Manassas and have never had any problems whatsoever. In fact earlier this year as I was leaving the store and crossing over to the parking lot, A Prince William County LEO drove slowly by. When she saw my strong side, she smiled and gave me a little wave.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP This isn't good. I OC frequently at the Barnes and Noble in Manassas and have never had any problems whatsoever.

Wasn't good. I would not attach too much significance to it in terms of having a police encounter today. I only mentioned it to show how far back it was.

I'm guessing an analogy would be the colossal screw up by the Manassas PD towards the OCers in Tony's pizza restaurant. The cops investigated themselves and found their officers acted like angels during the encounter. Whitewash and cover-up.

BUT! Not one OCer has been harassed by Manassas PD since then.

I'm thinking Alexandria PD spread the word to their officers after that Barnes & Noble encounter. Thus, plenty of reports of uneventful OC in Alexandria since then.

So, for myself, I would treat Alexandria just like I do Fairfax. I would figure I'm walking in northwest Georgia during the 1840's. Its not Indian Country anymore; but that don't mean I might not run into the occasional Indian who didn't get the word. So, I always have my voice-recorder. After all, even Fairfax County detained that OCer in Mason District this Spring--that one that prompted Ed's wonderful postcard to the Mason District commander. "Oh Really?"

Jonesy

I live in Alexandria and OC here most days, never once been hassled by PD, and I go all over Alexandria, including Old Town walking right by PD. They are well trained that OC is legal, and should leave you alone. Only ones who seem to mind are outsiders from Merryland, DC or tourists, and the occasional anti-gun liberal whiner.