Thread: Spartan Stores anti-gun policy

Angry Spartan Stores anti-gun policy

I found out today that Spartan Stores has an anti-firearm policy. Today I was wearing a red/white plaid shirt, jeans, and my Springfield XDm 9. Both my shirt and jeans are in respectable condition. I have not shaved in 3 days, so I am showing a bit -- but hey, I'm having a relaxing weekend.

I've dispatched this note to the Spartan Stores communication team.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was in the "Valu Land" in Marion, Michigan today. Like almost everywhere else I go in my daily life I was openly carrying my pistol. After being there a few minutes a member of your management team approached me. He informed me that Spartan Stores has a policy to not allow firearms in their stores regardless of whether or not the person is licensed to carry a concealed pistol. I noted to the gentlemen that I saw no signs about your policy anywhere on the doors that I used to enter the store.

Now that I am at a computer, I see your website has no mention of a no-guns policy as well. I wonder, how do you enforce this policy if I were to carry concealed (as I am legally authorized to do)? I know many members of the Marion Community that have a concealed pistol license and carry their guns concealed everywhere they go. They are probably in your store regularly.

There are over 280,000 people in Michigan that are licensed to carry a concealed weapon. This number is growing each year. That's quite a market you are eliminating.

I and many gun owners will respect your policy and will no longer enter your stores. Since your website nor your stores are posted about your policy, I will be sure to post about your policy on many Michigan Firearm related forums so that way others in the Michigan Firearm Community can be informed about your policy and also honor your private property by shopping elsewhere. Many other grocery chains such as Meijers and Walmart have no such gun policy. With your prices not being quite as competitive, I would think you'd want to do everything you can to retain customers.

I wish your management team, employees, and customers the best when a criminal, who definitely won't care about your policy, enters your store and puts your employees and customers life in jeopardy.

With regards,

<PH>
    I thought the rest of you would like to know....
    Last edited by TheQ; 09-04-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Hmmm I and several others OC all the time in various Spartan stores in the sw region with no issues. Could be a jerk manager?

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G via Tapatalk
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Hmmm I and several others OC all the time in various Spartan stores in the sw region with no issues. Could be a jerk manager?

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G via Tapatalk
    The manager told me "it's a Spartan Store policy, sorry". If this isn't true I expect Spartan Stores will write me back to correct this misunderstanding and they'll work with their manager in Marion to correct his actions.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned

Thumbs up

Nice letter.

You may want to add the managers name, what he/she looks like, date/time of cantact, and see how the chips fall.

Maybe a policy that is for employess & not customers !

I had that happen in sam's club the manager thought the no weapons policy was for everyone in the store policy it was for the workers only.....

Spartan Stores is a food distrubution company. They do not have any/many retail stores of their own unlike Meijer, Walmart, Krogers......

They sell their product to independent/Small grocery stores that can't afford to have their own brand. They are Spartan stores because they sell spartan goods.

Spartan Stores does not own them.

The manager mis-represented the store and himself, and the Spartan Stores brands.

Quote Originally Posted by dragongtr View Post
    Spartan Stores is a food distrubution company. They do not have any/many retail stores of their own unlike Meijer, Walmart, Krogers......

They sell their product to independent/Small grocery stores that can't afford to have their own brand. They are Spartan stores because they sell spartan goods.

Spartan Stores does not own them.

The manager mis-represented the store and himself, and the Spartan Stores brands.

As a progressive leader in the food distribution industry, Spartan Stores, based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, owns and operates 97 supermarkets in Michigan under the D&W Fresh Markets, Family Fare Supermarkets, Glenís Markets and VG's Food and Pharmacy banners. The company also supplies more than 40,000 private label and national brand products to nearly 350 independent grocery stores.
    http://www.spartanstores.com/about

OK so they have some of their own......

But i know many spart stores 350+ according to that are independent. Valu Land is one of them according to that statement.

Hollywood markets for example in the royal oak area.
    Last edited by dragongtr; 09-05-2011 at 12:09 AM.

??

I OC at the VG's in Pontiac all the time it is a Spartan Store they have no policy against it

No offense but making a blanket statement based on one Manager is rather knee jerk. A better title would have been " According to spartan store manager they do not allow guns" As of now his word is all we have that such a policy exists.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned
    ^^ I've OCed there too, no issues.

Thumbs up

Nice letter.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i tend to suspect this is a case of an uninformed employee... i have open carried countless times in the neiman's family market by my house. they switched from a farmer jack several years ago. i've never had even a sideways glance in the store.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

I've received no communication back as of yet from Spartan Stores, this leaves me with only what I was told by the manager.

Banned
    His word against yours then?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    His word against yours then?
    Nope. Just his word until I hear otherwise in an email. If he wants to recant, fine by me. My XDm and I will be back in town in 1.5 weeks...

Maybe the thread title should be changed, just one store and an unconfirmed "corporate policy" statement does not "stores" make...

It might not be an uninformed manager either... it might just be an anti gun manager that wanted to avoid an argument by stating it was a corporate policy.

Remember folks, nothing prevents these people from lying to you.

Yup just like a police officer can lie to you, but don't you dare lie to the police or go to jail....

Banned
    They are going to run the stop sign that you ran before giving you the ticket for running the sign.

Never heard back from Spartan stores. You'd think if that wasn't their policy they'd quickly want to refute it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Never heard back from Spartan stores. You'd think if that wasn't their policy they'd quickly want to refute it?
    I'd think if they cared enough to not have people carry in their stores they'd tell you that you couldn't.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436