• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spartan Stores anti-gun policy

TheQ

I found out today that Spartan Stores has an anti-firearm policy. Today I was wearing a red/white plaid shirt, jeans, and my Springfield XDm 9. Both my shirt and jeans are in respectable condition. I have not shaved in 3 days, so I am showing a bit -- but hey, I'm having a relaxing weekend.

I've dispatched this note to the Spartan Stores communication team.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was in the "Valu Land" in Marion, Michigan today. Like almost everywhere else I go in my daily life I was openly carrying my pistol. After being there a few minutes a member of your management team approached me. He informed me that Spartan Stores has a policy to not allow firearms in their stores regardless of whether or not the person is licensed to carry a concealed pistol. I noted to the gentlemen that I saw no signs about your policy anywhere on the doors that I used to enter the store.

Now that I am at a computer, I see your website has no mention of a no-guns policy as well. I wonder, how do you enforce this policy if I were to carry concealed (as I am legally authorized to do)? I know many members of the Marion Community that have a concealed pistol license and carry their guns concealed everywhere they go. They are probably in your store regularly.

There are over 280,000 people in Michigan that are licensed to carry a concealed weapon. This number is growing each year. That's quite a market you are eliminating.

I and many gun owners will respect your policy and will no longer enter your stores. Since your website nor your stores are posted about your policy, I will be sure to post about your policy on many Michigan Firearm related forums so that way others in the Michigan Firearm Community can be informed about your policy and also honor your private property by shopping elsewhere. Many other grocery chains such as Meijers and Walmart have no such gun policy. With your prices not being quite as competitive, I would think you'd want to do everything you can to retain customers.

I wish your management team, employees, and customers the best when a criminal, who definitely won't care about your policy, enters your store and puts your employees and customers life in jeopardy.

With regards,

<PH>

I thought the rest of you would like to know.... :mad:

Last edited:

TheQ

Hmmm I and several others OC all the time in various Spartan stores in the sw region with no issues. Could be a jerk manager?

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G via Tapatalk

The manager told me "it's a Spartan Store policy, sorry". If this isn't true I expect Spartan Stores will write me back to correct this misunderstanding and they'll work with their manager in Marion to correct his actions.

mastiff69

You may want to add the managers name, what he/she looks like, date/time of cantact, and see how the chips fall.

Maybe a policy that is for employess & not customers !

I had that happen in sam's club the manager thought the no weapons policy was for everyone in the store policy it was for the workers only.....

dragongtr

Spartan Stores is a food distrubution company. They do not have any/many retail stores of their own unlike Meijer, Walmart, Krogers......

They sell their product to independent/Small grocery stores that can't afford to have their own brand. They are Spartan stores because they sell spartan goods.

Spartan Stores does not own them.

The manager mis-represented the store and himself, and the Spartan Stores brands.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

PDinDetroit

Spartan Stores is a food distrubution company. They do not have any/many retail stores of their own unlike Meijer, Walmart, Krogers......

They sell their product to independent/Small grocery stores that can't afford to have their own brand. They are Spartan stores because they sell spartan goods.

Spartan Stores does not own them.

The manager mis-represented the store and himself, and the Spartan Stores brands.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

As a progressive leader in the food distribution industry, Spartan Stores, based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, owns and operates 97 supermarkets in Michigan under the D&W Fresh Markets, Family Fare Supermarkets, Glen’s Markets and VG's Food and Pharmacy banners. The company also supplies more than 40,000 private label and national brand products to nearly 350 independent grocery stores.

http://www.spartanstores.com/about

dragongtr

OK so they have some of their own...... :)

But i know many spart stores 350+ according to that are independent. Valu Land is one of them according to that statement.

Hollywood markets for example in the royal oak area.

Last edited:

autosurgeon

No offense but making a blanket statement based on one Manager is rather knee jerk. A better title would have been " According to spartan store manager they do not allow guns" As of now his word is all we have that such a policy exists.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i tend to suspect this is a case of an uninformed employee... i have open carried countless times in the neiman's family market by my house. they switched from a farmer jack several years ago. i've never had even a sideways glance in the store.

TheQ

I've received no communication back as of yet from Spartan Stores, this leaves me with only what I was told by the manager.

PDinDetroit

Maybe the thread title should be changed, just one store and an unconfirmed "corporate policy" statement does not "stores" make...

Evil Creamsicle

It might not be an uninformed manager either... it might just be an anti gun manager that wanted to avoid an argument by stating it was a corporate policy.

Remember folks, nothing prevents these people from lying to you.