Thread: Camden police chief gave gun purchase permit to convicted felon city councilman

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Camden police chief gave gun purchase permit to convicted felon city councilman

Camden Police Chief Scott Thomson signed off on two gun permits in July for a Camden city councilman with a criminal record that bars him from purchasing a firearm under state law, according to law enforcement sources and documents.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-09-0...brady-campaign

It's virtually impossible to get a carry license in the Garden State, but if you're a convicted felon who's a city councilman, and you lie on your application, you can still get permission to purchase a firearm (even though state law says you can't).

IL and NJ, two places I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

I'm torn on this one. While I believe that the 2A rights shall not be infringed to mean exactly that. Politicians should not get a special break just because they think they are special. But let's be honest we all know felons get and carry guns, and they don't care about no stinking laws.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Be torn all you want. I can and cannot fault you for such.

Yes, once a person's punishment for criminal behaviour is completed, they should regain all civil rights again - no ex post facto law or bill of attainder punishing them for the rest of their lives. And, if they screw up again, shame on them.

However, that's not how things currently are. And both the police chief and councilman knew better.