• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the Ape Caves

Sethrotull

I tried a search and couldn't find anything. Has anyone OC in the Ape Caves outside of Cougar WA. I do not have a WA CPL.

Thanks.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I tried a search and couldn't find anything. Has anyone OC in the Ape Caves outside of Cougar WA. I do not have a WA CPL.

Thanks.

Funny you should ask. Yes I have, yes it is legal. My grandparents are Spelunkers and were among the early 'discoverers' of the Ape and Ice caves. They are also photographers and most of the photography of the caves in SW Washington are from their company ABC Printing. If you go pick up one of the information booklets on the caves. You will see a family standing in one of the caverns of the Ape cave and the young boy in that picture is me and my family. I will find the picture later....

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Carry on! The only limitation are federal buildings, and they should be marked at the doors "no guns". If I'm not mistaken the Ape Caves are a state park. So no worry.

amzbrady

I think it is legal to carry everywhere in Washington state, unless it is stated in an RCW and if on private property, until someone who owns or works at it tells you.

SayWhat

take extra batteries! we explored the ape caves about 5 years ago and by the time we got out, 2 of our 3 flashlights were dead.

Attachments

• P1010487.jpg
    P1010487.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 195

Lovenox

Hold a minute....

According to this website it is illegal to have firearms. I don't know how legit it is, but it might be along the lines of other places that have "No Firearms" signs that are not in compliance with the law. Anyways go down about the middle of the page where it says: "Ape Cave Hiker USFS Regulations:" Remember that it is not a federal park it is within the boundaries of a national forest , Ginford Pinchot to be exact and in the National Volcanic Monument...are the rules different in these places??? Anybody?

http://www.mountsthelens.com/ape-caves.html

**Update**

Just called (360) 449-7800 from the official website of the National Volcanic Monument Headquarters @Amboy,WA and asked the lady of the legality seeing as it isn't a National Park but a National Monument...in any event she started with the "There is a lot of people that carry up there, you have to be careful..." then towards the tail end of our conversation she says, "Why would you want to carry a firearm anyways?.." To which I replied ,"I carry all the time especially when in the back country to protect my family and myself. I am in the military and versed on weapons handling and marksmanship" There was a long silence. Then she referred me to to a Mr. Peterson. I left a message and will update.. What was odd was that she said it was legal but still referred me to Mr. Peterson.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...t St. Helens National Volcanic Monument- Home

Last edited:

Sethrotull

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been to the Caves a number of time just never OCd there. I have my OR CWP and have been meaning to get one from WA too, just haven't found the time.

Lovenox - I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Lovenox

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been to the Caves a number of time just never OCd there. I have my OR CWP and have been meaning to get one from WA too, just haven't found the time.

Lovenox - I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Nothing as of yet, brother. And my suspicion is that he will not return my call. Maybe if other memebers try calling the same number and ask to speak with the guy we will get a response.

Tacitus42

Yes it is allowed >>>> Persons with state-issued firearms "carry" permits will be allowed to carry firearms on refuges as long as they do so in compliance with the laws of the state that issued the permit.

According to the FWS, the new law will apply to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System.
Full story>>> http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02/19/new-gun-rules-in-wildlife-refuges.htm

Lovenox

Help me out here....

Yes it is allowed >>>> Persons with state-issued firearms "carry" permits will be allowed to carry firearms on refuges as long as they do so in compliance with the laws of the state that issued the permit.

According to the FWS, the new law will apply to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System.
Full story>>> http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02/19/new-gun-rules-in-wildlife-refuges.htm

So I have to have a "carry" permit to Open Carry? This seems counter to state law where one does not need a permit to open carry with small exceptions , loaded in a vehicle being one that I can remember.

Lovenox

Recieved a call this AM and according to the "horse's mouth" it is legal. He was gracious and non-judgmental.

Last edited:

hermannr

As will all NP, NF, NWR, NM and the alphabet soup of federal lands,,,except ACE...the rule is...IF...it is legal by state law, it is legal.

Some states still require a permit to carry at all, Washington and Oregon do not...therefore, all federal lands covered by 18 USC 930 (d) (3) It says nothing about a permit...it only says "lawful purpose". Also, Self-protection is even an enumerated "lawful purpose" to carry in Washington state law.

I do not understand where the NPS and others think they can even restrict carry in their buildings. They are not a Federal court.

Lovenox

As will all NP, NF, NWR, NM and the alphabet soup of federal lands,,,except ACE...the rule is...IF...it is legal by state law, it is legal.

Some states still require a permit to carry at all, Washington and Oregon do not...therefore, all federal lands covered by 18 USC 930 (d) (3) It says nothing about a permit...it only says "lawful purpose". Also, Self-protection is even an enumerated "lawful purpose" to carry in Washington state law.

I do not understand where the NPS and others think they can even restrict carry in their buildings. They are not a Federal court.

Good info.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

Pretty sure somewhere in 18 USC 930 (a) it states that you cant carry in a fedral building in which fedral employees work. I am on my phone but ill try and get the sub paragraph number.