• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School zone problem

Bu3d

I am a long time observer and collector of information from this site and want to say thank you for all of the very useful data compiled here. I have been practicing an occasional open carry in my area and was pretty happy at the non-response I was getting. I liked being left alone and not having any difficulty with the cops or anyone that might be fearfull or misunderstand what i was doing.

However bank closing across the street may have thrown a monkey wrench in my fine working plans of open carry around my house. The bank was sold and is now being leased to a company opening a Medical charter school. I think this means I will not be able to open carry anymore because it places me in a school zone.

Is a small Medical Charter School really considered a school zone? Are my good days of open carry right outside of my own house over?

I am in the process of getting references for the application for the license but I ripped up my application last week because I felt one of my references was flakey and didn't want that to backfire on me. Most of the other people I want to use for a reference I don't have current data for( I stick to my self normally so I fall out of touch with friends fast). I am confident I will get references but this concerns me because i feel my ability to safeguard my family is being limited. I am so worried about this I have started looking for a new place but it is tough to get approved for a place since I live on disability.

I am really wondering now what exactly qualifies as a secondary school ( I believe that is the defining term to which is going to determine if my open carry at my place is indeed over).

Thank you in advance even if the news is as I fear (bad).

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
State law says you can't carry on school grounds of a K-12 school unless you meet one of the exemptions.

Federal law, which a local cop isn't going to enforce, says you can't carry withing 1,000 feet of a K-12 school.

If this "medical charter school" is for adults only, then it's a non-issue.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
State law says you can't carry on school grounds of a K-12 school unless you meet one of the exemptions.

Federal law, which a local cop isn't going to enforce, says you can't carry withing 1,000 feet of a K-12 school.

If this "medical charter school" is for adults only, then it's a non-issue.

Need to pick nits with you. THE GFSZ Act creates a buffer zone 1,000 feet from the edge of the property the school is situated on. That's a lot different from "the school grounds" itself.

stay safe.

mrjam2jab

I am a long time observer and collector of information from this site and want to say thank you for all of the very useful data compiled here. I have been practicing an occasional open carry in my area and was pretty happy at the non-response I was getting. I liked being left alone and not having any difficulty with the cops or anyone that might be fearfull or misunderstand what i was doing.

However bank closing across the street may have thrown a monkey wrench in my fine working plans of open carry around my house. The bank was sold and is now being leased to a company opening a Medical charter school. I think this means I will not be able to open carry anymore because it places me in a school zone.

Is a small Medical Charter School really considered a school zone? Are my good days of open carry right outside of my own house over?

I am in the process of getting references for the application for the license but I ripped up my application last week because I felt one of my references was flakey and didn't want that to backfire on me. Most of the other people I want to use for a reference I don't have current data for( I stick to my self normally so I fall out of touch with friends fast). I am confident I will get references but this concerns me because i feel my ability to safeguard my family is being limited. I am so worried about this I have started looking for a new place but it is tough to get approved for a place since I live on disability.

I am really wondering now what exactly qualifies as a secondary school ( I believe that is the defining term to which is going to determine if my open carry at my place is indeed over).

Thank you in advance even if the news is as I fear (bad).

By "right outside of my own house" do you mean still on your property? If so, you are fine no matter what kind of school it is. Otherwise, once you get your LTCF you will be ok to continue as you are currently doing.

bill gray

A charter school is part of a public school system. They can go from first grade through 12th or be limited to High School. Charter schools have a "specialty" that is given heavy emphasis besides the State required courses. The specialty may be Performing Arts, Aerospace, a Foreign Language or the trades. A Vo-Tech school is an examlple. This school would concentrate on pre-pre-medical training like anatomy, chemistry, medical terminology etc. A graduate would be a few steps ahead when applying for medical school, nursing and medical/technical schools like Imaging, Phys Therapy etc.

swinokur

Activist Member
IIRC the GFSZA does not apply to private property even if inside 1000 feet

From the law
(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm - (i) on private property not part of school grounds; (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Last edited:

jahwarrior

the school zone thing is only for grades K-12. even if it is a K-12 school, if you're on your property, you can carry til you drop dead from it, even if you're within 20' of the school. if it's not K-12, the school zone thing doesn't apply. as far as your references are concerned, they don't need to be local, or even residents of PA. just pick people you know with a phone number, and who''l give you a good reference, if the sheriff even bothers to call them.