• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Banks!

mem1977

Is it legal to open carry into Kentucky banks? I've only been open carrying for a couple weeks now and didn't know if I could openly carry or not in a place such as this. :uhoh:

UnfetteredMight

Is it legal to open carry into Kentucky banks? I've only been open carrying for a couple weeks now and didn't know if I could openly carry or not in a place such as this. :uhoh:

No state or federal law preventing you from carrying in a bank, but private property rules still apply.

mem1977

The bank I deal with is just up the road from me in my town. My family has done business with them for years and I have never once seen a sign on their building inside or out prohibiting firearms. My family and I know everyone that works in the bank. All the way up to the head honcho. LOL I love small town life in south eastern KY. LOL

:banana:

Last edited:

langzaiguy

@Gutshot if it's the same sticker that's on the bank in Georgetown, those were made and distributed by the KY Banker's Association. I had contacted them about the message of the sticker. I told them that either A)They were ignorant about the law or B)They were intentionally misleading their customers. Either way, a change needs to be made. All I got was a response saying that as a private business, they had a right to ban firearms within their establishments. This I wasn't debating. They never answered my original question.

2A Pride

My payroll checks come from Central Bank and I occassionally will cash my check there if I don't happen to be going by my bank that day. I know the branches in Lexington all have big "No Weapons Allowed" signs on their entrance doors. It's the typical circle with the slash through that "dangerous looking" Beretta 92F sihlouhette. A teller once asked me if I had ever considered opening an account there, and I told her that I did not do business with any company who had a policy in place that restricted my 2A rights in order to be a customer. I'm not particularly in love with my current bank (PNC), but I've never seen any anti-gun signs posted at any of their locations. At least they do something right.

KBCraig

Gutshot, it sounds like you went the wrong direction on that one. You "educated" them out of an unfactual sign that didn't ban carry, and now they have a sign that does.

KBCraig

I don't know what you mean. Factual or not, it did ban carry on their property and also told anyone who wanted to carry there that it was a criminal act.
If I post a sign that falsely says "State law prohibits XYZ", it doesn't become illegal to do XYZ.

If your bank really had signs that read "Carrying a Firearm Into this Bank is Illegal", as you stated in your post, how does that ban carry?

langzaiguy

@KBCraig The sign insinuates that you and your firearm are not welcome at their establishment. It's not exactly a welcome mat, don't you think?

UnfetteredMight

If I post a sign that falsely says "State law prohibits XYZ", it doesn't become illegal to do XYZ.

If your bank really had signs that read "Carrying a Firearm Into this Bank is Illegal", as you stated in your post, how does that ban carry?

It doesn't, but it spreads misinformation.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Intersting - banks post signs about guns that have no effect - might be worth it to walk in open carrying and remind the bank manager that open cand conceal carry is legal there.

UnfetteredMight

Intersting - banks post signs about guns that have no effect - might be worth it to walk in open carrying and remind the bank manager that open cand conceal carry is legal there.

Only if they allow it, its still private property. The signs carry no weight of law unless you refuse to leave when asked.

langzaiguy

@Unfettered I think Mike is well aware of that. He's right that it would serve as a nice reminder or indicator as to the law.