• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 handgun or rifle for shooting with son?

45acpForMe

I don't think you can go wrong either way. For me it depended on a place to shoot which I only had an indoor range. Most ranges will allow a 22LR rifle indoor though.

I started out with the Walther P22 for my daughters who started shooting at 9 & 12. While it is a good gun and they like it they still have trouble with double action trigger pull. I had to put it into SA for them to start shooting. 22LR is dirty and ammo is sometimes crappy (Walmart bulk) so jams, stovepipes occur. While it is annoying it is actually good practice of clearing them. Unfortunately both my girls couldn't cycle the slide for a couple years. Their requirement was that I get one with a laser which they used for about the first or second shooting session. After that we rarely if ever use it. If there was a self defense situation around the house we may use it though. I moderately recommend the P22 but think the Ruger may be the better starter based on other threads.

After a while I wanted to get them a 22LR rifle to train on and to hunt squirrel or rabbit if the SHTF. One of our complaints with the P22 is that a 10 round magazine doesn't last long. It takes longer to load the magazine than to empty it. So since I have a Sig556 I looked into the Sig522. It was one of the highest rated AR 22's and Nutnfancy reviewed it as the ONLY 22 AR that he had no jams. I have shot thousands of rounds through it and still have yet to have a single problem of any type. The magazines hold 25 rounds so that gives enough shooting time for each daughter before handing it over to the other for her turn. While it is more expensive ($4-500) than other starter 22's it has a second type of cool in that it looks just like my Sig556 with folding stock etc. So if we ever have to patrol the neighborhood during a crisis anyone coming against my daughter will think she is carrying an AR15 rather than a 22. :) It has been accurate and I can't think of a single thing bad about it other than its higher price.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't think you can go wrong either way. For me it depended on a place to shoot which I only had an indoor range. Most ranges will allow a 22LR rifle indoor though.

I started out with the Walther P22 for my daughters who started shooting at 9 & 12. While it is a good gun and they like it they still have trouble with double action trigger pull. I had to put it into SA for them to start shooting. 22LR is dirty and ammo is sometimes crappy (Walmart bulk) so jams, stovepipes occur. While it is annoying it is actually good practice of clearing them. Unfortunately both my girls couldn't cycle the slide for a couple years. Their requirement was that I get one with a laser which they used for about the first or second shooting session. After that we rarely if ever use it. If there was a self defense situation around the house we may use it though. I moderately recommend the P22 but think the Ruger may be the better starter based on other threads.

After a while I wanted to get them a 22LR rifle to train on and to hunt squirrel or rabbit if the SHTF. One of our complaints with the P22 is that a 10 round magazine doesn't last long. It takes longer to load the magazine than to empty it. So since I have a Sig556 I looked into the Sig522. It was one of the highest rated AR 22's and Nutnfancy reviewed it as the ONLY 22 AR that he had no jams. I have shot thousands of rounds through it and still have yet to have a single problem of any type. The magazines hold 25 rounds so that gives enough shooting time for each daughter before handing it over to the other for her turn. While it is more expensive ($4-500) than other starter 22's it has a second type of cool in that it looks just like my Sig556 with folding stock etc. So if we ever have to patrol the neighborhood during a crisis anyone coming against my daughter will think she is carrying an AR15 rather than a 22. :) It has been accurate and I can't think of a single thing bad about it other than its higher price.

Quality and reliability are not free/cheap.

The Sig522 is available on-line for as little as $370.00 NIB + shipping I presume and FFL fees. Still it is a remarkable deal. Wouldn't mind owning one myself.
MJ Tactical Outpost No rating New $369.99

45acpForMe

Quality and reliability are not free/cheap.

The Sig522 is available on-line for as little as $370.00 NIB + shipping I presume and FFL fees. Still it is a remarkable deal. Wouldn't mind owning one myself.
MJ Tactical Outpost
No rating
New
$369.99

Yes I got mine for an incredible low price of $350 but by the time you add the shipping and FFL transfer fees it came in just over $400 for me. I said $400-$500 in case they couldn't find a good deal.

The Wolfhound

Go Marlin

Get a Marlin 795. Light , inexpensive reliable and dead accurate. I help teach in the Appleseed Project and we see lots of .22LR. The Marlin is half the cost of a Ruger 10/22 and will be more accurate. Use the leftovers and buy a Browning Buckmark. It is a wonderful accurate shooter and is much lighter than the Ruger Mark series. The grips are smaller, too and your son will be able to fit it sooner. Her Buckmark is my wife's favorite pistol, sometimes I am allowed to borrow it.:lol:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Have you had any luck with the Springvield/ Stevens Model 86?

I was going through some old boxes and found a long forgotten Springfield J. Stevens Arms Company Model 86 bolt action .22. It has some fairly heavy rust on the barrel and am missing the rod that goes in the tube where you load the ammo. I might try to get this going for him. Anyone know where I can find parts for it?

I just like those old rifles and wondered if you were able to get up and running.