• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

*New Member, Anybody OC in Edgerton, WI?

Cory

Hello, I'm brand new to this site... just joined Wisconsin Carry tonight (although, I've been on the site a lot in the past) and I just bought my first handgun. I haven't actually picked it up from the gun shop yet, I'll be going to get it after work tomorrow (Tues). I can't wait to get it home! I purchased a Springfield XD40. Just wanted to thank everybody on this forum, I've learned a lot reading through the posts! Also, I was wondering if anybody has OC'd in Edgerton, WI (that's where I live) and would be willing to share their experience.

protias

I don't know anyone in Edgerton, but there are a number in the Madistan area.

HandyHamlet

You are gonna throw the new guy into Madtown right out of the gate? That's cold.

:lol:

Welcome aboard.

civilwarguy

I am not positive i am thinking of the right city but I know Last year (2010) I went to Rock River Thresheree and they were not carry friendly to the public (Glad i was reenacting i had an excuse) and I have Oc'ed at the Culvers there. Other than that not sure but i am not that far away and could set up to come OC with you a few times if you dont want to go at it alone.

gunguy2009

I'm from Janesville and have done alot of carrying in both Janesville and Beloit. The only places I know that do not allow it is Aldi grocery on Milton ave in Janesville and Save a Lot on Park st in beloit.

Cory

Thankyou for all of the replies and welcomes! I OC'd for the first time last night. I decided to just take a short walk around the neighborhood with the dog. I was definitely a little nervous about it, but it turned out to be very uneventful. I started out walking around the neighborhood behind my house and once I felt a little more confident I decided to walk down main street. I only received a couple of "strange" looks, but nobody said anything about the gun. I think the majority of people didn't even notice. I was wearing a pretty light colored t-shirt and cargo shorts with a full-size XD 40 in a holster, so it was pretty noticeable in my opinion. I ran into 2 groups of young people during the walk who wanted to pet the dog... I was really surprised that they just stood around me petting the dog and I didn't hear a single comment about the gun. Overall, it was a good experience. I didn't cross paths with any LEO's, so I still don't know how they are going to react when they see me OC in town. I think after a couple more walks I'll be ready to try OC in some of the local businesses. I see a couple of replies from people in Stoughton, Janesville and Beloit, looking forward to getting to know you guys and hopefully meet you sometime!

Cory

I am not positive i am thinking of the right city but I know Last year (2010) I went to Rock River Thresheree and they were not carry friendly to the public (Glad i was reenacting i had an excuse) and I have Oc'ed at the Culvers there. Other than that not sure but i am not that far away and could set up to come OC with you a few times if you dont want to go at it alone.

Thankyou for the offer, I will probably take you up on that in the near future. I'm still a little nervous about entering the local businesses... I think that's when the real encounters are most likely to happen. Yes, the Thresheree is right outside of Edgerton and the Culver's is in Newville, also right next to Edgerton.

protias

Thankyou for all of the replies and welcomes! I OC'd for the first time last night. I decided to just take a short walk around the neighborhood with the dog. I was definitely a little nervous about it, but it turned out to be very uneventful. I started out walking around the neighborhood behind my house and once I felt a little more confident I decided to walk down main street. I only received a couple of "strange" looks, but nobody said anything about the gun. I think the majority of people didn't even notice. I was wearing a pretty light colored t-shirt and cargo shorts with a full-size XD 40 in a holster, so it was pretty noticeable in my opinion. I ran into 2 groups of young people during the walk who wanted to pet the dog... I was really surprised that they just stood around me petting the dog and I didn't hear a single comment about the gun. Overall, it was a good experience. I didn't cross paths with any LEO's, so I still don't know how they are going to react when they see me OC in town. I think after a couple more walks I'll be ready to try OC in some of the local businesses. I see a couple of replies from people in Stoughton, Janesville and Beloit, looking forward to getting to know you guys and hopefully meet you sometime!

They know it is legal, so they shouldn't harass you.

Walmart, Starbucks, and Culvers are all good places to go to.

HandyHamlet

I was definitely a little nervous about it, but it turned out to be very uneventful.

You aren't alone. The first place I chose to OC was Gander Mountain 'cause I new it would not be a problem and I wouldn't run into any LEOs. So of course as I exited the first guy entering was a Sheriff. He didn't even change his pace as we exchanged the "head nod". So it's normal to be a bit freaked out. If in doubt be patient. There is no rush and you will meet members on the forum here who are more than generous with their support.