• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Field Report, Starbucks Old Saybrook

OCinCT

On 09/05/11, approximately 1525 hours. While in line I was approached by a male, 40-45 yo, approx. 5'7", balding, obese. wearing a red tee shirt with a firetruck on it. He told me emphatically that I need to cover my firearm, insisting that it is illegal to carry an exposed firearm in the state of Connecticut. I advised him that I would not cover it because it is perfectly legal to open carry. He again insisted that I should cover it before I cause a problem. I asked him if he was a LEO. He didn't know what that meant. I told him that was a law enforcement officer. He told me he was at one time a firearms instructor in the state of Connecticut. I advised him that he should re-educate himself before pursuing that form of work again. I ordered, received, fixed my coffee and left. the subject followed me out, but did not make further contact with me.

KIX

My usual follow up questions are:

Do you have a permit?

if no, I tell them to look up the laws and show me where it says concealed.

If they say they do, then I say look at your permit and let me know where it says concealed carry permit. After I get the dumb look, I let them know kindly that if there is no statute that forbids it, than it is legal. Then I follow up with "btw, breach of peace doesn't work here either. Not when I'm doing something completely legal".

If anything, I give them a copy of the CCDL brochure and say here's some information to get you on the right path.

Jonathan

OCinCT

I am usually in a more nurturing mood. But it took alot for me to not issue the gentleman a hearty "go f*ck yourself" reply to his intrusion into my day.:)

KIX

If you've seen me, you know I have a hard time with "impulse control"......

After all, look at how the media labels me, I'm nuts!!!!

Whenever I say that, Mel Brooks comes to mind in "History of the World, Pt. 1" "I'm Nuts, N-V-T-S NUTS!"

Jonathan

Rich B

Good work. Glad to see I am not the only one OCing at the Starbucks in Old Saybrook. The employee who started my illegal detainment there has since complained to officers that I keep coming in there (imagine that, I was invited back by his district manager!) and that he thinks it is because I am trying to 'provoke him'. Go figure.

KIX

Wear the pink CCDL shirt so you don't look so provocative....

..... wait a minute..... he may think you indeed look provocative and......

:)

Jonathan

MGoduto

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm amazed that someone will walk up to an armed man that they don't know, run their mouth, and in the process show that they don't know s*** from Shinola.

For those of you young'uns who don't know what 'Shinola' is, it's shoe polish (usually black).

I've had similar experiences as 'OCinCT', and opted for the 'polite education with website references' approach since none of the approach-ers were angry or obnoxious.

The angry and obnoxious seem to gravitate to Rich Burgess. Why that is, I have no f'n clue.

Rich B

The angry and obnoxious seem to gravitate to Rich Burgess. Why that is, I have no f'n clue.

It must be my charming personality...

Of course, Lawlor, ctguntalk and their ilk would say it is because OCing 'alarms' people, but that is obviously not true when they come up to me and yell at me in public about it. I would say that is pretty far from 'causing alarm'.

emsjeep

Some people get negatively approached CONSTANTLY and others are either completely left alone or only approached positively or in a neutral manner. I have a feeling it has alot to do with who looks authoritative and who doesn't/wouldn't/couldn't fit into the "possible agent of the government" category. Weight, Race, Facial Hair, Haircut and Dress are all subtle things that make people nervous. Then again, most people don't have enough S/A to even notice the gun...who knows.

MGoduto

It must be my charming personality...

Of course, Lawlor, ctguntalk and their ilk would say it is because OCing 'alarms' people, but that is obviously not true when they come up to me and yell at me in public about it. I would say that is pretty far from 'causing alarm'.

Yeah, you looked so evil and menacing in front of the Wallingford PD, that I'd run away in terror. And Mike Lawlor can still pucker-up and plant one on my large, furry backside.

I've never been asked to leave an establishment while OC'ing. The Comcast rep at the Corbins Corner 'Best Buy' definitely noticed, as did the pharmacists at Target. I had the Newington cops called on me last year at Stop & Shop (how time flies!), had 4-5 people tell me that what I was doing was illegal (was able to educate all but one), and had a young fellow in the Vernon Subaru dealership ask me how long I've been a detective.

My negative experiences have centered around a few people at the place where I bowl and someone at church who used to be a friend, people who've known me for years. Go figure.

H8Rain

I have a feeling it has alot to do with who looks authoritative and who doesn't/wouldn't/couldn't fit into the "possible agent of the government" category.

+1 My wife and I are most commonly approached with a "hello officer, how are you". Our response is usually just a simple "fine, and you" and that's the end of that. I figure this sets their mind at ease without making a huge scene. Now if someone came to me and point blank asked if I was a cop, the answer would be no, I'm not.