• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shooting in carson city, nv

hammer6

So I love when the media uses such threatening words in their stories....they make it seem like people have in their possession some violent weapon that needs to be restricted....

"The Nevada Appeal said at least eight people were shot by a suspect carrying a semi-automatic weapon just before 9:00 a.m. local time."

aren't all normal guns semi automatic? besides the single shot rifles of course...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/06/at-least-8-reportedly-shot-at-ihop-restaurant-in-nevada/

Daylen

aren't all normal guns semi automatic? besides the single shot rifles of course...

bolt action =not semi-auto
pump action =not semi-auto
revolver =not semi-auto
lever action =not semi-auto
break action =not semi-auto

Nope, but now you know the rest of the story.

tim12232

NOT AN AK47!!!!!:shocker::shocker::shocker::shocker:

Why do no other shooting stories involve this kind of info? The suspect opened fire with a m1911a1 pistol or a Sig Sauer p226 tactical?
My dad and I were just discussing this yesterday, a ruger rifle in 223 would be called a rifle in most news stories, but if it was an ar15....OMG AN ASSAULT RIFLE MIL SPEC MURDER MANUFACTURING DEVICE.

sensationalize everything they must.....Mmmm?

hammer6

revolver =not semi-auto

are you just being sarcastic? because if you would have quoted the rest of my statement, you would have seen it said, "besides the single shot rifles of course..."

because i said "normal guns".

wrightme

revolver =not semi-auto

SA Revolver = not semi-auto
DA Revolver = semi-auto

One trigger actuation per shot, automatically advances the next round into position.

Daylen

SA Revolver = not semi-auto
DA Revolver = semi-auto

One trigger actuation per shot, automatically advances the next round into position.

wrong. Double action is not in any way automatic, it is still manual operation. Automatic comes from something happening without the user doing anything. Semiauto should really be called autoloader; the loading and maybe cocking of the hammer are done automatically without actuation of any parts by the user. However, fans of the movie Zardoz would know that there is such a thing as a automatic revolver!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley-Fosbery_Automatic_Revolver

Daylen

are you just being sarcastic? because if you would have quoted the rest of my statement, you would have seen it said, "besides the single shot rifles of course..."

because i said "normal guns".

revolvers are not single shot rifles,
pump action is not single shot,
lever action is not single shot,

I think revolvers are normal guns, many people carry them. Pump action shotguns are very normal, that was my first carry weapon when I was a kid. and Lever action is fairly normal and common though perhaps not as much as the first two.

perhaps I should have left the break action off as I did falling block since those are exempted by your statement.

Last edited:

wrightme

wrong. Double action is not in any way automatic, it is still manual operation. Automatic comes from something happening without the user doing anything. Semiauto should really be called autoloader; the loading and maybe cocking of the hammer are done automatically without actuation of any parts by the user. However, fans of the movie Zardoz would know that there is such a thing as a automatic revolver!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley-Fosbery_Automatic_Revolver

A DA revolver still requires a single trigger pull per shot, and nothing else.
A semi-auto pistol also requires a single trigger pull per shot, and nothing else.

Calling it an "automatic revolver" is quite a stretch.

decklin

The first several "news reports" I saw said things like, "Assault Weapon" and "Automatic Weapon."
I wonder if they are being given the wrong facts by somebody with an agenda or if they do it all on their own.
We'll see how long it takes for someone to respond with one of those conspiracy theories.

hammer6

are you guys really arguing over SA and DA? if you are, then you don't know the difference.

PavePusher

NOT AN AK47!!!!!:shocker::shocker::shocker::shocker:

Why do no other shooting stories involve this kind of info? The suspect opened fire with a m1911a1 pistol or a Sig Sauer p226 tactical?
My dad and I were just discussing this yesterday, a ruger rifle in 223 would be called a rifle in most news stories, but if it was an ar15....OMG AN ASSAULT RIFLE MIL SPEC MURDER MANUFACTURING DEVICE.

sensationalize everything they must.....Mmmm?

Actually, the Mini-14 in the recent Swedish incident was labeled an "assault rifle" as well.

hammer6

Originally Posted by hammer6
are you guys really arguing over SA and DA? if you are, then you don't know the difference.

No, we are not arguing over them.

Besides, there IS a difference between them. Maybe you aren't aware of it.

you quoted me, then misquoted your quote of me....

wrightme

Originally Posted by hammer6

you quoted me, then misquoted your quote of me....

No, that is inaccurate. But feel free to remain in error.

Besides, given the opening post, it is quite in keeping with the discussion you began. :rolleyes:

So I love when the media uses such threatening words in their stories....they make it seem like people have in their possession some violent weapon that needs to be restricted....

"The Nevada Appeal said at least eight people were shot by a suspect carrying a semi-automatic weapon just before 9:00 a.m. local time."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/06/at-least-8-reportedly-shot-at-ihop-restaurant-in-nevada/

The term used is MUCH preferred over the typical "he used an evil assault rifle!"

Further, the publication in question just happens to be the OLDEST continuously operating business in Carson City, and is not a MSM publication.
http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20080601/MISC06/112454020
I commend them for NOT using the typical "assault weapon" moniker in this instance.

Last edited: