• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Incident at Scottish Festival

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been in contact with the OP regarding this incident. He and his wife (a witness) are deciding whether or not they want to proceed with a civil case against the deputies and the event organizer. Obviously, a significant factor is being able to finance such an endeavor. I wonder whether we could generate the same kind of support for these folks as we did for Skidmark? I think the case is something that affects all of us, and their dedication to protecting our interest in being "secure in our persons and effects" is a primary motivation for their willingness to invest their time, effort and money into filing a civil suit.

What do you think?

We shall talk more on this I think.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I could pitch in.

If it's possible do you have any estimate to the associated cost of such legal action?

It's not really possible. I generally charge a fixed-fee for criminal defense, but this is civil and a plaintiff's case. It's safe to say that it's going to be at least six or eight thousand if the other side shows up and puts on any kind of defense at all, but could go to over twenty. It mainly depends on how hard the defendants want to fight about it. You've seen how I do defense; I make people work really hard to prove their case - the plaintiff has to win, the defendant has only to "not lose". There are people, especially those working for insurance companies, who have a similar, or if anything more aggressive approach. In addition, there are costs associated with a civil action that you don't have in criminal cases, such as discovery and depositions. Court reporter's fees alone can eat you alive. So part of the problem is that you really can't tell, going in on the case, what's going to happen or what it'll cost.

HGreen and his wife are both young professional people and not indigent. They have expressed a willingness to undertake this litigation, not just to be compensated for the harm done, but to help all of us live in a safer, more secure world by teaching those who would be petty tyrants to mind their manners. They're going to be on the hook for whatever it costs, and they are willing to pay for protecting the principle they believe in. I think they're admirable people and deserve all the help they can get. They're not indigent, and probably better off than a lot of folks. But I'm hoping to be able to accomplish what they want without making them indigent.

Besides, they came here from California in order to get away from this kind of thing. They were hoping that they were emigrating to the birthplace of American civilization. And, if I can add my view on it, in MY Virginia, things like this don't happen, because civilized people do not allow their public servants to behave this way. I see this as a deviation that requires correction. Petty tyrants who want to be able to exercise their feelings of self-importance at the expense of the citizenry should go to Newark or Chicago, but get out of Virginia.

fjpro2a

Legal Defense

I, too, would be willing to give what I can. We must fight situations like this whenever possible. My contribution may be small, but a lot of small contributions add up. Keep us informed, hgreen.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the reply user it was certainly informative. The purpose of my question was partially to determine whether the case could go forward with or without donation and to get some perspective on the possible overall costs (were we talking $500 or $5,000,000?). Personally I'm happy to donate either way because the cause of liberty and the reduction of petty tyrants is in the best interest of me and the remainder of this representative republic. However, had the cost been estimated closer to the $5,000,000 side we all would gain an understanding that we'd have to work extra hard to raise the funds necessary to support the endeavor.

By the way, welcome to Virginia hgreen and family! I too am a transplant, but have roots back to the western counties and those now called by a different name going back a fair piece. Regardless of our time here I'm sure you see that brothers and sisters in liberty can be found anywhere.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

I believe I have donated to just about every open case since joining this site. I will gladly donate again to help this along. We can't just sit back and let these kinds of incidents go without a fight. Let's show them we have teeth.

Sent using tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I believe I have donated to just about every open case since joining this site. I will gladly donate again to help this along. We can't just sit back and let these kinds of incidents go without a fight. Let's show them we have teeth.

Sent using tapatalk

I like your attitude Grease!

We've found complaints don't work, letters don't work and many changes in the laws are just ignored. Lawsuits and the threat do work.
This isn't just about guns, it's about treating people like cattle. These people have it in their heads they can do as they please with no oversight or control.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Sent using tapatalk

Indeed so and when forced to, do know how to use them.

I used to get physically picked on as an early primary school student and would come home crying. When my grandfather asked me why I didn't fight back I replied, "Because I'll get hurt!" He asked how that would be different - give some unstead of taking all of the pain yourself - then and only then will you stop them. Grandpa was a smart man.....and he was right.

Oh and he also said don't start trouble, but do what you have to do.

Now that we are older and hopefully wiser, we have learned that fiscal pain is a very effective deterrent to such conduct. Pain is a great teacher and the lessons are not soon forgotten.

Baked on Grease

Onslow said he could scrape up a few quid in support of the cause of freedom in the Colonies.

I like the way you speak, friend. I guffawed heartely to your statement. I've tried spending a whole day speaking as such, and found it gives people headaches. :p

Sent using tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I can't give as much as I did for Grape or Skid but I would pitch in some.

We give what we can and no one's keeping count Skeptic.
Ten dollars for one man is the same as a hundred to another and it's the willingness to part with that ten that is appreciated.

I've made fun of militias for years. They talk tough but when one of their members needs help, they all hear momma calling. About the best anyone can hope for is more tough talk from a distance.

This group is gaining the reputation of acting when need be. Skid's case proved it and despite some extremely anti comments from supposedly pro groups, we won and the world saw it!

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Interesting. The Venue (Meadow Event Park) is, I beleive, the same organization that owns the Virginia State Fair. In a previous post I seem to recall that they said it was not their rule against weapons, but the Scottish Festival's rule

And yet - today caught a minute or less of State Fair talk with a State Trooper talking about entry metal detectors and random wandings at the State Fair for "anything that might harm someone ".

In other words - making sure families are disarmed so that roving groups of thugs in the parking lot can bash the disarmed folks skulls in with impunity.

Won't be very popular with my family but I have to entirely reconsider going to the State Fair this year, and we have gone every year for quite awhile. If they are going to focus on making sure the regular folk are disarmed, then they ae inviting the same sort of fair flash mob violence we have seen elsewhere.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

But, according to the VA State Fair website.... its 'for your own safety'... :banghead:

http://www.statefair.com/guest-services
All Guests Subject to Search
For the safety of all individuals, everyone entering the event is subject to search. Metal detectors may be used. Weapons, contraband and alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Anyone refusing search cannot be admitted.