• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bedside defense weapon in a tent

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hey, Mahk. I always sleep with my firearm under my pillow, whether at home car camping, or overnighting out somewhere on the trail.

To help keep it more secure, I simply leave it holstered. That protects the trigger from being inadvertently pulled, particularly as I've been known to reach for it when I hear a noise, then fall asleep with my fingers wrapped around its butt, ready to unsnap it and draw it if necessary.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pardner!
When I camp, I usually use a little bit of natural deterrant. I mark my territory.
There are times when you gotta go, so why not go outside your camp. Just circle the camp and mark your camp so that any bear will catch the scent and know that it's "your" territory while you're there?

We've camped in bear country without much incident, and all the men in our party would mark the territory around our camp in this natural way that critters relate to. It is what bears do, and big cats as well. Mark your territory and it will help discourage visitors in the night. First line of defense.

Obviously, the camp cleanup before bedtime is something you don't want to neglect, but you already know that so reaffirm your dedication to keeping critter bait at safe distance from camp.

Finally, I carry my .40 cal and haven't camped yet since I got my pistols. In this scenario, I believe I'd want my Judge loaded with .45 Colt longs under the pillow. I don't have kids either, but even if I did, I'd want my pistol in easy reach. I don't think a little kid would have the power to pull the trigger on the Judge, but if that was a concern, I could just as easily use my Ruger and keep the safety on. Even with the safety off, being a double/single action pistol, that first trigger pull requires a bit of determination.

Something harder to learn is how to sleep with a higher level of awareness. It can be done. Really! If you can learn to sleep lighter, so anything will easily awaken you, then that's a talent worth developing.

Finally, it doesn't hurt to have trip wires around the campsite with a bunch of empty cans or pots and pans to make a little noise if a critter comes along.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

wrightme

Absolutely not.

A 4 and 6 year old plus the dog can hardly fend for themselves. Yet the OP camps in bear country next to ******** and even worse he admits to breaking the number one cardinal rule. Leaving food out in the camp site. Even though he KNOWS better. And all he is worried about is guns.

I won't go easy. Life is too short for bullsh*t. He put his family at risk for absolutely no good reason. Camp smart or do everyone a favor and go to Disney instead.

You seem very set upon controlling the actions of others.
It's called FREE WILL. Try it sometime. You'll like it.

Here I thought you were about "free will." It must be only you are for "free will" if it is only YOU, not others.

wrightme

Marking territory may have some validity, but I don't know if I would stake my life upon it. Unless you can "mark" higher than the bear........

Howdy Pardner!
When I camp, I usually use a little bit of natural deterrant. I mark my territory.
There are times when you gotta go, so why not go outside your camp. Just circle the camp and mark your camp so that any bear will catch the scent and know that it's "your" territory while you're there?

We've camped in bear country without much incident, and all the men in our party would mark the territory around our camp in this natural way that critters relate to. It is what bears do, and big cats as well. Mark your territory and it will help discourage visitors in the night. First line of defense.

Obviously, the camp cleanup before bedtime is something you don't want to neglect, but you already know that so reaffirm your dedication to keeping critter bait at safe distance from camp.

Finally, I carry my .40 cal and haven't camped yet since I got my pistols. In this scenario, I believe I'd want my Judge loaded with .45 Colt longs under the pillow. I don't have kids either, but even if I did, I'd want my pistol in easy reach. I don't think a little kid would have the power to pull the trigger on the Judge, but if that was a concern, I could just as easily use my Ruger and keep the safety on. Even with the safety off, being a double/single action pistol, that first trigger pull requires a bit of determination.

Something harder to learn is how to sleep with a higher level of awareness. It can be done. Really! If you can learn to sleep lighter, so anything will easily awaken you, then that's a talent worth developing.

Finally, it doesn't hurt to have trip wires around the campsite with a bunch of empty cans or pots and pans to make a little noise if a critter comes along.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Option #1 is a Wilderness Safepacker. No, I have no idea why the manufacturer's site does not work, but here is someone that apparently still sells it -- http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/catid/14/pid/23846/The_Wilderness__Safepacker_Holster . Figure out a way to anchor it to yourself or to a spot where it will be difficult to move it during your sleep.

Option #2 is the old trick many campers/travelers in less-than-safe environments use(d) -- a short lanyard leash, just long enough to let you get a grip on it. If you are using a single action pistol do not leave it cocked & locked when you go to sleep. If you are really worried about a striker-fired trigger getting caught do not leave a round in the chamber. But it is possibly more comfortable than sleeping with your belt and holster on and you have less chance of your handgun wandering among the bedclothes. Not that great an idea if you have rug rats climbing into the sleeping bag with you.

Yes, us Olde Pharts occassionally remember stuff that is good to know.

stay safe.

TheLittleMan

That is about the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internet. Congrats. Might want to google "bear bag".

Ok so the bear can't break open the bag but he can break open a tent to get the food. In either case he isn't eating you so what point are you making exactly?

wrightme

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Bingo! This is a good practice, as well as proper food handling and storage. The best safety advice is to take every effort to avoid an incident. And please remember when firing a weapon in the dark to know your target and what is behind your target if you miss. Ya know other campers don't want to be ducking bullets. As far as gun safety around the kids it should be the same as it is anywhere else. Be in control of your weapon at all times, or store it secured, fairly simple.

HandyHamlet

Ok so the bear can't break open the bag but he can break open a tent to get the food. In either case he isn't eating you so what point are you making exactly?

No point guy.

Camp however you want. Bathe yourself and your kids in honey mustard sauce before lights out for all I care. You'll be fine. You have a gun.

:cool:

wrightme

Bingo! This is a good practice, as well as proper food handling and storage. The best safety advice is to take every effort to avoid an incident. And please remember when firing a weapon in the dark to know your target and what is behind your target if you miss. Ya know other campers don't want to be ducking bullets. As far as gun safety around the kids it should be the same as it is anywhere else. Be in control of your weapon at all times, or store it secured, fairly simple.
Or, train them in proper use thereof. My son is my backup.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

This weekend's camping trip had a bear come through several neighboring camps. This trip we were much less diligent about keeping our camp free of bait so I'm surprised he didn't make a stop through ours. I didn't notice my dog our our neighbors' 5 feet from our tent barking at night, though people in cabins 100 yards down the hill reported theirs going crazy. Maybe she barked and I shushed her in my sleep.

I'm not going to fire blindly into the dark from inside a tent unless I'm being attacked, but that's seeming less unlikely. Particularly with DW's lotions, etc. that never wash completely off. Bear spray won't help in that scenario. There will be plenty of noise coming from inside the tent if it's being torn into that an airhorn is a non-issue. But I don't know what to do with a pistol. With a 4 and 6 yo climbing into parent sleeping bags in the night, I'm hesitant to just lay it next to me lest it get kicked around. The hanging pockets in the tent aren't very sturdy. If we slept on cots, there are hanging pockets for those that would work. As it is, it gets locked up in the car or secured in a backpack depending on what kind of a trip it is since it'll do eff all good if I can't have ready access to it and keep it safe from wandering kids. Any ideas?

With last year's Yellowstone grizzly attack on another camp the day we left, I've about decided I'll put my family in the tent and sleep with one eye and ear open outside with a 12 gauge loaded with slugs next time we go. I don't know that I need to do that for Colorado black bears, though.

First, you have designated yourself as guardian, the little ones do not get in with you no matter how "scared" they are or whose feelings get hurt. EVER. I mean REALLY ENFORCE that rule. It cannot be stated strongly enough. If something goes wrong, be it 2 legged or 4 legged, having them "underfoot" as it were is a good way for all of you to end up dead and/or bear scat.

A 10/12 gauge with slugs is good for close range bear, 000 buck is pretty good also.

Red Dawg

Damn, tough crowd today... LOL.

The OP has a good handle on Camp safety in bear country. If he wanted to learn more/better techniques, he would google same....He was asking about options for gun storage in a tent. with younguns around...
One option is a good retention holster, and hang the blet off the end of your walking stick. The top of the stick holds the belt against the tent side/foot area. It's possible to kick it over, but the belt is pretty large target to find in the area, in the dark. And the good retention holster will keep little fingers from getting it out, and firing it.

skopro

Speaking of retention, i came across this holster not too long ago. Thus far its limited to a few pistols,but appears to be expanding on models.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Accessories/Holsters/ThumbDrive-Holster.html

I was really impressed with this system, but it would take some training to effectively use it. It reminds me of a "child proof cap" (and some adults :D ) you see on your medicine bottles.

I can't see any kid getting into that thing.

WalkingWolf

Speaking of retention, i came across this holster not too long ago. Thus far its limited to a few pistols,but appears to be expanding on models.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Accessories/Holsters/ThumbDrive-Holster.html

I was really impressed with this system, but it would take some training to effectively use it. It reminds me of a "child proof cap" (and some adults :D ) you see on your medicine bottles.

I can't see any kid getting into that thing.

I have come to believe there is no such thing as childproof. It is amazing the amount of determination that children have. To me there is only two childproof places for a gun, in a safe, or on the person in a holster. Other than that, or in addition proper education of the children that are around firearms.

For bear protection at night I use a 12 gauge double loaded with buck shot. It is empty with the shells in my pocket if I am camping around children. Doubles load very quickly, plus I had a lot of practice loading and shooting a double in competition. IMO trying to load a pump in the dark is a tad more cumbersome, plus I just like doubles. A handgun is better than nothing but IMO just not enough.