• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suitability study update - towns needed

Skinnedknuckles

Hello all,

The following list is all the towns I still need info from. If you can help supply it, it will be greatly appreciated. In only a few months of gathering data, we've helped over two dozen now permit holders navigate the system, so the information is helping!

Jonathan

Barkhamsted

Jonathon,

I thought I had sent this to you for Barkhamsted but since I didn't see it on the list, here is it again. The Resident Trooper adds a copy of the state's application form and nothing more. Very straightforward.

Attachments

• Copy of Barkhamsted Instructions.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 148

jason84

application

i have a copy of the app i filled out in stonington and i have one blank from groton i only have hard copies and need to find a scanner somewhere so i can scan them to my computer and when i do that i would be more then happy to send them your way

dogsandhogs

i have a copy of the app i filled out in stonington and i have one blank from groton i only have hard copies and need to find a scanner somewhere so i can scan them to my computer and when i do that i would be more then happy to send them your way

Take a picture of it and send it to him. That's what I did, and it worked very well. You can get the distance just right so that only the document is in the photo.

KIX

Take a picture of it and send it to him. That's what I did, and it worked very well. You can get the distance just right so that only the document is in the photo.

Thanx Jason.

Dogsandhogs is right. I can modify the contrast quite a bit so the info is at least readable for printing purposes and such.

Thanx,

Jonathan

gibson

Oxford PD didn't give any problems doing the fingerprinting and whatnot. They didn't require anything additional to what the state wants so no issue there either. You gotta time it right though as there isn't always someone at the station. Town hall screwed around for over a month before calling after it got back. It could have been the holidays but when I first called town hall she said she was working on getting the first selectman, and then when she finally called saying they were ready I was told she "just" got the paperwork. There was 29 days in-between those phone calls. No issues getting the temp permit from them though once the appointment was set, first selectman shook my hand, introduced himself and signed the paper. Was in and out in about 10 minutes. Hope the info helps.

Last edited:

darkk

Willimantic/Windham is pretty easy to get your permit. The only difficult part is the finger print portion. They only do it certain days and times. Call first, it's pretty straight forward and no extra money or B/S about personal letters and references. I didn't even have to talk to the Chief or anyone else, just filled out the paperwork they gave me. But, as I said, call first to be sure when you can pick up the forms and when you're ready for printing.

Rich B

Willimantic/Windham is pretty easy to get your permit. The only difficult part is the finger print portion. They only do it certain days and times. Call first, it's pretty straight forward and no extra money or B/S about personal letters and references. I didn't even have to talk to the Chief or anyone else, just filled out the paperwork they gave me. But, as I said, call first to be sure when you can pick up the forms and when you're ready for printing.

Forms have to be supplied immediately upon request.

Finger prints can be done by the state.

KIX

Forms have to be supplied immediately upon request.

Not in Hartford. They are special, they have a policy that says they don't have to give an app until you take a class.

SLFU has no interest in telling them their "policy" isn't legal.

Jonathan

brk913

Not in Hartford. They are special, they have a policy that says they don't have to give an app until you take a class.

Jonathan

I just had a student from Bristol who said they gave them a hard time picking it up as well....after the class they called me back and said Bristol wanted them to wait till April for a fingerprint appointment, I told them to apply via the certified mail route and tell me what happens..

Rich B

Jonathan

Then that is an immediate appeal. The SLFU isn't the one to tell them, the BFPE is. If they don't want to hand out permit applications in accordance with the law, they loose their power to judge suitability.

Rich B

I just had a student from Bristol who said they gave them a hard time picking it up as well....after the class they called me back and said Bristol wanted them to wait till April for a fingerprint appointment, I told them to apply via the certified mail route and tell me what happens..

Exactly right. Get fingerprints done with the state, send application in certified mail.

bmmd321

Hamden

Hamden was ok, didn't ask for anything out of ordinary except a passport style photo. And took 10 weeks to get temp permit

CTSurvivor

My understanding is that permits for Bethany residents are obtained through the state police trooper barracks there. Same standards as the CSP. Nothing more, nothing less.

KIX

Exactly right. Get fingerprints done with the state, send application in certified mail.

This is the process I'm telling everyone on the site to do with Hartford an any town that does this nonsense.

Jonathan

xjwalt666

I turned in my application to colchester on jan 6th. They required the app filled out, birth cert, social security card, course completion cert, and the checks. They do ask for $15 additional for the prints. I submitted it all and just got the letter back from the Colcheater pd yesterday saying I was all set and to go pick it up. So just a bit under a month and no real hassles. Just the one extra charge. I'm not sure I they actually require the ss card or if I just brought it anyway. I have a copy of the requirement sheet that I can try to send to Jonathan this afternoon or tomorrow.

KIX

Why even go to your local authority and try to get an app when it is available at the CT/DPS website?

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-799-c.pdf

Because you get additional information. Contact information for who is going to process your paperwork and get your prints done. Fees (believe it or not, some towns don't charge the maximum), hours for services like fingerprinting, etc.

It is also entertaining to see the hoops some towns want you to jump through.

Jonathan