• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IHOP Shootings

carracer

News is reporting "Automatic" weapons. Certainly a tragedy and only serves to reinforce our personal right to protect ourselves, family and others. My prayers sent.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Got this from 93.1 FM the Parties website

4 Dead at IHOP shooting in Carson City!

3 people in a Nevada IHOP were killed by a lone gunman today. The shooting happened at 9am and concluded with the gunman taking his own life. 9 other people were wounded in this horrific event.

2 of the 3 people killed were in the Military. Law enforcement responded to the call, but were not responsible for any of the shots fired. The gunmans motive is still unclear.

calmp9

News is reporting "Automatic" weapons. Certainly a tragedy and only serves to reinforce our personal right to protect ourselves, family and others. My prayers sent.

Most news agencies are reporting that it was a semiautomatic rifle, though.

I posted in the Nevada Shooters forum that my nephew, who lives in Carson City, called to tell me about the incident. He was on his way to have breakfast at that IHOP. Thank God he's never on time.

When he got there, the road was already blocked off.

This really hits close to home. My nephew could have been in the middle of that. I'm not a resident of Nevada, but I have been in that IHOP many times.

Nevada carrier

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/nation/sheriff-gunman-used-ak-47-in-ihop-shooting-1823088.html

The owner of a nearby barbecue restaurant described a frantic scene in which the gunman pulled up and immediately shot a man on a motorcycle, then charged into the IHOP, where the Guard members were meeting.

Ralph Swagler said he grabbed his own weapon, but said it was too late to stop the shooter.

"I wish I had shot at him but he was going in the IHOP," said Swagler, who owns Locals BBQ & Grill. "But when he came at me, when somebody is pointing an automatic weapon at you — you can't believe the firepower, the kind of rounds coming out of that weapon."

PaDutchin Nv

This incident is very sad but also incredibly disturbing. I live outside Carson City and have been to that IHOP and other CC restaurants many times. I got the chills when I heard the news yesterday. This very scenario had come to mind often when in those places. I was asking myself during my work night. If more people were legally armed...OC/CCW. Well...could this incident have had a much less deadly outcome. This incident for me...has settled my few remaining doubts about OC and getting a CCW as well. I had carried in both manners in PA for many years prior to moving to NV. But didn't feel a strong need to carry in NV...till now.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Apparently from recent articles the gunman was targeting a table of uniformed servicemen/women. He shot ever single one of them. That's just great because everyone knows that a uniformed serviceman is either on his way to or from a base and thus is disarmed so they absolutely cannot defend themselves. Things like this make me want to reconsider my employment with the military.

hammer6

Here's what I heard-

someone said that he was standing there, and then just spun in a circle, and the bullets kept flying. That's why i think it was an automatic.

which means- current gun laws should have made it impossible to obtain that kind of gun. reimplementing the "assault weapons ban" would not have done anything because he didn't have an assault weapon- he had an automatic rifle.

come on people- everyone who sees a rifle says "AK-47". unless you know the difference.

wrightme

Here's what I heard-

someone said that he was standing there, and then just spun in a circle, and the bullets kept flying. That's why i think it was an automatic.

which means- current gun laws should have made it impossible to obtain that kind of gun. reimplementing the "assault weapons ban" would not have done anything because he didn't have an assault weapon- he had an automatic rifle.

come on people- everyone who sees a rifle says "AK-47". unless you know the difference.

That is false. "Current gun laws" do not make it impossible to obtain that kind of gun; unless it is post-1986 manufacture.

If an AK-47 assault rifle is a pre-1986 firearm, it is legal to own. (unless in a state that bans them, which NV isn't)

Last edited:

wrightme

Apparently from recent articles the gunman was targeting a table of uniformed servicemen/women. He shot ever single one of them. That's just great because everyone knows that a uniformed serviceman is either on his way to or from a base and thus is disarmed so they absolutely cannot defend themselves. Things like this make me want to reconsider my employment with the military.

Apparently from recent articles he did NOT target the uniformed servicement. But the rationale for that statement appears to only be "because half of those injured or killed weren't uniformed servicemen." Not very definitive if you ask me.

gmijackso

Apparently from recent articles he did NOT target the uniformed servicement. But the rationale for that statement appears to only be "because half of those injured or killed weren't uniformed servicemen." Not very definitive if you ask me.

Well statistics would agree with you. If half of those that were injured or killed weren't uniformed servicemen, logically, half of them were. So, unless half of the people in the building at the time were uniformed servicemen (highly unlikely given the number of employees alone) then obviously a higher percentage of those injured or killed were uniformed servicemen. So, barring outside anomalies such as abnormal "gravitational" force applied to lead by service personnel, or them simply sitting around the shooter in a wall-like fashion, then it is likely that they were in fact targeted.

Sonora Rebel

The type weapon used has been identified as a pre-ban Norinco 'AK-47' (Actually a Type 56 S). The other 'AK' in his van was a Romanian WASR 10... 'same type gun involved in the 'Fast & Furious' BATF scam. Both 7.62x39mm. The handgun was a Colt .38... model unk.

OK... if this guy was known to be a goof and documented, he couldn't buy these or any other guns legally. Anybody know if these NG's were involved with Border Patrol activities? Altho the WASR 10 wasn't used... I'm suspicious of it's conncection to 'F&F' and the cartels.