• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity experiences - please share!

Freiheit417

Hello all,

I would like to ask folks about their experiences with LEO's pertaining to permit/license reciprocity. If you have any experience carrying "out-of-state" where your permit/license (where required) is recognized, please share!

Specifically,

1. What state were you in when you had a LEO encounter, meaning the officer requested/demanded said permit/license?

2. Which state's permit/license did you show?

3. Did the officer know their state recognized it or did he/she have to check with a supervisor?

4. Did the officer say that it was not recognized even though you knew for a fact it was valid in that state?

5. Or... did the officer accept your permit/license as valid, even though that state had no reciprocity? :shocker:

With all due respect, it seems that LEO's sometimes have trouble knowing the laws pertaining to their own state's permit, let alone one from out-of-state. It's hard enough for diligent armed citizens to keep up with info on reciprocity, so I wouldn't be surprised if LEO's often got it wrong. I'm thinking it would be more likely that an officer would know about the reciprocity status of bordering states, but what about states that are not near each other at all? For example, would a Washington LEO know that a Florida Concealed Weapons/Firearm license is valid there? Throw in the fact that some states recognize resident permits, but not non-resident permits from the other state and there's even more room for error!

Thoughts?

Thanks - carry on!

mark-in-texas

Texas CHL, pulled over by Indiana State Police for 'lane control' and speed. It was 1am and I was about 30 miles from where my bed was! As soon as he determined I wasn't intoxicated he was ok. He knew right away my permit was good in Indiana. My Springfield XD was under my seat; he did unload it and ran the serial number (yeah, I know!! This was 5-6 yrs ago before I knew to object). He was a lefty and we got to talking about comparing his carry weapon (Beretta 92) to my more left handed friendly XD's mag release. No ticket, told not to reload until he left & shoke hands. Very professional and courteous.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Texas CHL, pulled over by Indiana State Police for 'lane control' and speed. It was 1am and I was about 30 miles from where my bed was! As soon as he determined I wasn't intoxicated he was ok. He knew right away my permit was good in Indiana. My Springfield XD was under my seat; he did unload it and ran the serial number (yeah, I know!! This was 5-6 yrs ago before I knew to object). He was a lefty and we got to talking about comparing his carry weapon (Beretta 92) to my more left handed friendly XD's mag release. No ticket, told not to reload until he left & shoke hands. Very professional and courteous.

On the Beretta 92, you can easily change the orientation of the mag release by pulling it out and putting it in the opposite direction. The 92 is a very friendly design for left handed people.

jeeper1

On the Beretta 92, you can easily change the orientation of the mag release by pulling it out and putting it in the opposite direction. The 92 is a very friendly design for left handed people.
That's the way mine is set up as is my Taurus PT99AF but I still prefer and carry my XD40.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I've had two out-of-state experiences; both were extremely professional.

First, I was stopped for speeding in North Carolina. I was carrying openly, with the pistol on my right hip, but NC is a must-notify state so I informed the officer I was carrying a pistol on my right hip. He asked me to repeat its location, then just continued with the ticketing. The entire encounter was extremely professional. He never asked to see a permit, perhaps because he knows NC also doesn't require a permit for open carry.

The second encounter was in Austin, TX. Since TX has no open carry, I had the pistol in my handbag (not my first choice for carry, but appropriate for this time). My car was burglarized, and the responding officer took a report and fingerprints. I couldn't remember if TX was a must-identify or not, so I informed the officer. He asked me to allow him to put my purse on the hood of the car and remain away from it. When he set it down, he set it muzzle-toward-us, so I asked him to reverse its direction and he did so. He never asked to see the firearm or the permit.

mark-in-texas

Tess wrote ...."The second encounter was in Austin, TX. Since TX has no open carry, I had the pistol in my handbag"

Funny true story; Lady carrying a J-frame S&W in her purse gets jumped by a bad guy. She emptied her pistol THROUGH her purse in to the crook. When the cops question her, they ask 'Why'd you shoot him 5 times?' Priceless answer, "Gun went <click> on sixth trigger pull!"

Sorry you had trouble in Austin. Ya'll have a great day!