• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB for S&W M&P9c

hvtopiwala

just picked a S&W m&p9c...looking to conceal this bad boy with a IWB holster.

i am a lefty, weight 130lbs, and 5'5"...so im skinny and small lol.

i was thinking of carring around the 7-8o'clock position...would that be best? and should i carry it reversed (right hand holster for left handed draw)?

let me know ur opinions! i know most are gonna say supertuck etc... but im more so questioning where to carry and if i should order a reversed holster...

cbpeck

I don't completely understand your questions, but I'll do my best...

If you're a lefty I'd suggest carrying just behind the point of your left hip, so around 8 o'clock. The butt of the gun should be toward the rear allowing you to draw easily with your dominant left hand, so you will want a left handed IWB holster. Trying to draw from a right handed holster in this position would be very awkward.

Ideally, your new holster will allow for cant adjustment. This is pretty important because no two people have the same physique, and it's nearly impossible to know how something is going to feel until you've tried it. It should also pull the rear of the slide & the butt in snugly against your hip to aide in conceal-ability.

Personally, I like the Tucker Texas Heritage & Answer designs as well as their clones. Galco's Summer Comfort holsters are nice too, but I don't believe they're adjustable.

hvtopiwala

yeah i probably could of worded it better lol, my bad..

u pretty much answered my question

i was just wondering if its easier to draw on the left side with a left handed holster at the 8o'clock position or a right handed holster (small of back style holster but at the 8o'clock position). i feel like both are easy for me, but i guess when it comes down to real world draws, probably a left handed holster would be better.

Last edited:

cbpeck

If you carried a right handed holster @ 8 o'clock and tried to draw lefty you'd have to slide your palm in between the gun's grip and your torso. A quality holster that is designed to be grasped properly would make this very difficult. Also, doing so would require that you swing your hand out to rotate the gun as you drew. It just isn't a good motion. I think you'll be much happier with a left handed holster, especially if its an IWB.

Best of luck to you.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I carry an M&P9c and love my Kholster. You have good timing because Kholster is having there annual 9/11 sale until the 15th so a normally $60 holster for $40. Kholster is just like the Crossbreed Supertuck, minus the fancy die job, and comes with a better warranty.

hvtopiwala

dam i actually just bought an MTAC holster b4 i saw ur post. o well, i heard MTAC's are good too right?

i put the belt width as 1.5" even though i didnt have a ruler on hand, but im pretttty sure my belt is 1.5" cuz on the galco skyops holster i have for my glock 23, i think thats a 1.25" and it just about fits if i pinch the belt!

GrandZJ

I have a Comp-Tac Infidel and a Remora for my M&P 9c and I use the Remora 99% of the time. I'm 5' 8" 160lbs and it conceals like a charm.

cbpeck

Keep your order with Comp-Tac; they're known to make a quality product. When you receive your holster try it out for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Comp-Tac has a 30 day return policy, so you're not risking more than a few bucks in shipping fees. Here it is copied from their website:

Our mission is to provide gear that meets your needs and lifestyle. That is the reason we offer a 30 day no questions asked, no BS exchange/return policy on all gear purchased directly from Comp-Tac. If the gear does not meet your needs or lifestyle we will exchange it or refund the purchase price of the item excluding shipping & handling fees. Please note that we cannot accept exchanges or return on custom orders. Differences on exchanged items will be added or refunded to your original order less shipping and handling.

Customer is responsible for return shipping fees and must have a return material authorization (RMA# issued by Comp-Tac customer service) clearly visible on the outside of the package. Please contact customer service at 281-209-3040 for a RMA#. Packages sent to Comp-Tac without a RMA# may incur delays in processing or be refused. The exchange/return policy is deemed void in the case of any modification, alteration, or abuse of the product.

Note:
Minotaur holsters may require a 20% restocking fee if leather is deemed to be unsellable upon return.

hvtopiwala

cool ill give it a try :)

reason i want a new holster is i currently have a galco skyops that the sw9c fits in, but dam is that holster bulky!!! def printing like crazy lol and its extremely uncomfortable. i think i can control the printing cuz i can set the mtac to have the gun lower in my pants vs the skyops. hopefully its also more comfortable!

cbpeck

cool ill give it a try :)

reason i want a new holster is i currently have a galco skyops that the sw9c fits in, but dam is that holster bulky!!! def printing like crazy lol and its extremely uncomfortable. i think i can control the printing cuz i can set the mtac to have the gun lower in my pants vs the skyops. hopefully its also more comfortable!

I hope you're happy with it. To be honest, though, I don't foresee the MTAC being less bulky than your Galco. A major consideration in concealability is the overall thickness of the holster. The MTAC's ability to swap components to accommodate additional guns means additonal mounting hardware & design considerations that almost certainly add up to increased bulk. I'm not necessarily looking to steer you away from the MTAC, just be aware that it will probably be bulkier than similar holsters that are dedicated to a specific pistol, like these:

http://tuckergunleather.com/iwbholsters1.html

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

By the way, my main CC pistol rides in a Texas Heritage by Tucker Gun Leather.http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

cbpeck

The MTAC allows the user to switch between interchangeable kydex components so that a single holster can accommodate multiple guns simply by switching the kydex parts. It isn't a bad idea, but it likely comes at the price of increased bulk. If the holster will only be used to carry one gun & the interchangeability isn't a consideration, I'd suggest looking at simplified options like the Supertuck, Answer & Texas Heritage linked in my last post.