Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Bringing my Glock to NYC. Will there be any hassles?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836

    Bringing my Glock to NYC. Will there be any hassles?

    We're going to Manhattan in October for a few days. The last time I was in New York was before HR218 was in effect, so I kept my pistol at home.

    Now, legally, I can carry it there. But will there be any hassles at the airport as I still have to declare it in my checked luggage. I usually don't register as an emergency worker when I fly on personal time so there will be nothing on paper saying I'm a cop.

    Is it possible there will be some badge heavy law men at LaGuardia Airport waiting to have a chat with me? You know me, If I were by myself I'd welcome the confrontation. But my wife wants her vacation to go smoothly.

  2. #2
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Have a copy of the applicable law,
    and a copy of your privilege permit paperwork (ID, badge, etc.).
    In fact, have several in case the first few get disappeared.
    You're likely to get hassled at this end, too.

    You could also ring up the NYPD admin & make sure they follow federal law (letting other officers exercise their federally-granted privileges in NYC).
    But of course, they don't follow the Constitution... why should breaking this new law bother them?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    You have already found the law. What you reference gives a very clear statement of the documentation you will need to have in order to assert your claim for coverage under LEOSA. It seems a few NY state cases have been decided favorably - but i am not aware of NYC case law that's on your side.

    Remember, when travelling by plane you still have to comply with all the TSA rules. If going by train I understand that you must put it in checked baggage, in spite of LEOSA.

    Once you get to NYC remembe to be very low-key, slow and deliberate when even discussing the presence of your handgun, let alone putting your hands near it. Do not start out by saying "I have a gun" - try something along the lines of "I am a law enforcement officer; my credentials are ___ ."

    I don't know you well enough to know if I should hate you or not, but I royally despise the Only One special privileges cops claim for themselves.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Personally, I would contact NYC police before I brought any weapon into NYC. Think about the transit athority cop that shot and killed an undercover cop that had responed to a trouble call. (and that was for carrying a rifle) That place is crazy.

    If I were you I would want to be armed, but if you are armed, the local LEOs are as dangerous to your health as the thugs.
    Last edited by hermannr; 09-08-2011 at 01:25 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    I don't know you well enough to know if I should hate you or not, but I royally despise the Only One special privileges cops claim for themselves.
    The major benefit the LEOSA gives the rest of us normal everyday citizens is the 14th Amendment claim against any gov't entity which does not treat us the same as the citizens who are (or have been) employed by a LEA.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    We're going to Manhattan in October for a few days. The last time I was in New York was before HR218 was in effect, so I kept my pistol at home.

    Now, legally, I can carry it there. But will there be any hassles at the airport



    EDIT: Just curious, being a cop and all: While you're in New York exercising your super FIRST CLASS CITIZEN PRIVILEGES, if you see someone carrying an unregistered gun with no type of permit, nothing other than the right they were born with, will you arrest them or call the police?
    Last edited by Schlitz; 09-08-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    I just can't get over this thread.... It's like wearing a nazi uniform in the 1940's and walking in front of a few hundred starving jews then asking, "hey guys...I'm going to a steak house for dinner and i was curious, do you think I should get a 20oz steak or something a little lighter, like a 16oz? I need to watch my weight sooooooOoOo"
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    EDIT: Just curious, being a cop and all: While you're in New York exercising your super FIRST CLASS CITIZEN PRIVILEGES, if you see someone carrying an unregistered gun with no type of permit, nothing other than the right they were born with, will you arrest them or call the police?
    How on earth would I know if a gun were registered or not or whether the carrier had a permit or not, and why on Earth would I care? Outside of the state of Wisconsin I have no powers of arrest.

    Some of you need to do your homework and you'll find that I am the most pro-gun rights cop on these boards. I have frequently criticized this law and in Wisconsin I routinely carry openly as a form of solidarity to those who can't legally conceal.

    It's disgusting and wrong that others cannot exercise their constitutional right in NYC, but I am not going to risk my safety or my wifes safety by not exercising this privilege that I have. AND NEITHER WOULD ANY OF YOU GIVEN THE SAME PRIVILEGE. Some of you rooster inhalers need to curb the attitude.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY-CT
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    How on earth would I know if a gun were registered or not or whether the carrier had a permit or not, and why on Earth would I care? Outside of the state of Wisconsin I have no powers of arrest.

    Some of you need to do your homework and you'll find that I am the most pro-gun rights cop on these boards. I have frequently criticized this law and in Wisconsin I routinely carry openly as a form of solidarity to those who can't legally conceal.

    It's disgusting and wrong that others cannot exercise their constitutional right in NYC, but I am not going to risk my safety or my wifes safety by not exercising this privilege that I have. AND NEITHER WOULD ANY OF YOU GIVEN THE SAME PRIVILEGE. Some of you rooster inhalers need to curb the attitude.
    LOL. They're just angry, and rightfully, but it isn't your fault. Don't take it personally.

    Be VERY careful here. NYPD has a bad history of friendly fire incidents. Conceal well, bring ALL of your ID (and copies) and paperwork and a few copies of 18 U.S.C. § 926B. They don't even like their own off-duty personnel carrying. Be safe.
    Last edited by emsjeep; 09-09-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  10. #10
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    How on earth would I know if a gun were registered or not or whether the carrier had a permit or not, and why on Earth would I care? Outside of the state of Wisconsin I have no powers of arrest.

    Some of you need to do your homework and you'll find that I am the most pro-gun rights cop on these boards. I have frequently criticized this law and in Wisconsin I routinely carry openly as a form of solidarity to those who can't legally conceal.

    It's disgusting and wrong that others cannot exercise their constitutional right in NYC, but I am not going to risk my safety or my wifes safety by not exercising this privilege that I have. AND NEITHER WOULD ANY OF YOU GIVEN THE SAME PRIVILEGE. Some of you rooster inhalers need to curb the attitude.
    What's a rooster inhaler?

    Why don't you feel safe in NYC filled to the brim and overflowing with good, honest LEOs?
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  11. #11
    Regular Member hammer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    How on earth would I know if a gun were registered or not or whether the carrier had a permit or not, and why on Earth would I care? Outside of the state of Wisconsin I have no powers of arrest.

    Some of you need to do your homework and you'll find that I am the most pro-gun rights cop on these boards. I have frequently criticized this law and in Wisconsin I routinely carry openly as a form of solidarity to those who can't legally conceal.

    It's disgusting and wrong that others cannot exercise their constitutional right in NYC, but I am not going to risk my safety or my wifes safety by not exercising this privilege that I have. AND NEITHER WOULD ANY OF YOU GIVEN THE SAME PRIVILEGE. Some of you rooster inhalers need to curb the attitude.


    why would we care? we can't carry there but apparently you can, so why would you expect us to know? call the NYPD and ask them.

    when i go to new york, i only have my fists to protect me. must be nice
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

    it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

  12. #12
    Regular Member hammer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    I just can't get over this thread.... It's like wearing a nazi uniform in the 1940's and walking in front of a few hundred starving jews then asking, "hey guys...I'm going to a steak house for dinner and i was curious, do you think I should get a 20oz steak or something a little lighter, like a 16oz? I need to watch my weight sooooooOoOo"


    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

    it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY-CT
    Posts
    210
    I'm the first one to bitch about police inequality and abuse (see my sig line), but what exactly do you guys expect this individual to do?
    Last edited by emsjeep; 09-10-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY-CT
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    What's a rooster inhaler?

    Why don't you feel safe in NYC filled to the brim and overflowing with good, honest LEOs?
    does the forum software edit out ********** by replacing it with rooster inhaler?

    ETA: nope just turns it into **********....
    Last edited by emsjeep; 09-10-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    I'm the first one to bitch about police inequality and abuse (see my sig line), but what exactly do you guys expect this individual to do?
    I don't know man. It pisses me off and the only one in this thread to direct my anger at is the cop who gets treated as a different grade of human. We all get to eat **** while the elite get to protect themselves and their families. It's bull ****. pkbites, did you not expect to get a few upset people in this thread?

    Again, see Jew reference in post #6...
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    I think some people are over-reacting. While we can all be bitter over the unconstitutionality of it, that doesn't mean it should be taken out on the OP. One can't really blame him for wanting to carry or for asking on this board for advice (both legal and in "dealing with the locals" of this sub-forum). The Nazi comment is really uncalled for, but let's go with it for a second. Assuming the OP is actually on our side (and I see no reason for why he isn't), then it is akin to the jews mobbing a Nazi who is sympathetic to them and has been helping them. Or blacks attacking a white person who had been a part of the underground railroad simply because they were white. Just because one is somehow associated with an injustice doesn't mean they are automatically guilty of said injustice or should be attacked as such.

  17. #17
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    pkbites: I hold you no ill, and only forward a blessing for a peaceful and happy trip with your wife. Be very careful, NYC is well known for shooting first and asking questions later.

    I would have everyone able to carry for their own protection in NYC, it is a hole, but at the present moment, that is not possible. I went there one time while in the military when stationed in NJ, and flew into NYC (LaGuardia) once. Even though my wife is from NYS, and I am in possession (gift from my FIL) of a 38 colt that did police duty in NYC in the 20's-50's...if at all possible, I will never go back to that city.

    Everyone else: Jealousy is a great evil to a peaceful life. It is the root of most property crime. Let's not go there and be down in that gutter with the criminals.

    Thia (or any) LEO has absolutely no control over the Law, that is re-itterated time and time again on this site. Keep that in mind. If it is his good fortune to be able to carry, it is no skin off you back...

    No, I am not, and never have been a LEO, I just hate jealousy, envy and petty bickering.
    Last edited by hermannr; 09-10-2011 at 03:25 PM.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    ....

    I don't know you well enough to know if I should hate you or not, but I royally despise the Only One special privileges cops claim for themselves.

    stay safe.
    OK, the OP has stated that he is on our side. I officially declare that I do not hate the OP just because the OP has Only One special privileges. I still despise the fact that cops claim Only One special privileges for themselves.

    And I still hope that the OP stays safe on his journey to and from NYC.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  19. #19
    Regular Member hammer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    OK, the OP has stated that he is on our side. I officially declare that I do not hate the OP just because the OP has Only One special privileges. I still despise the fact that cops claim Only One special privileges for themselves.

    And I still hope that the OP stays safe on his journey to and from NYC.

    stay safe.

    i think everyone on this board would agree with this statement-

    we are just frustrated that someone gets to do something because of a badge, when it's perfectly constitutional, but we get denied.

    i just think we don't want to waste our time looking up the info....BUT- seeing as how i just popped a vicodin, and i'm in a good mood, i'll help him out:

    http://tinyurl.com/6fmbfgm
    Last edited by hammer6; 09-10-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: not good at html code
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

    it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

  20. #20
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    First thing to do is elect people to congress that will make it so you can do what you wish. The only thing that will really work is a specific ammendment that says there shall be no infringment on the right to carry for self defence. specific enough that the supreme court cannot screw it up.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    Gee, if I could get our town's constable to appoint me as a constable, then I, too, could carry (concealed, of course) in places such as New Jersey and New York. But, ain't gonna happen lately.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I think some people are over-reacting. While we can all be bitter over the unconstitutionality of it, that doesn't mean it should be taken out on the OP. One can't really blame him for wanting to carry or for asking on this board for advice (both legal and in "dealing with the locals" of this sub-forum). The Nazi comment is really uncalled for, but let's go with it for a second. Assuming the OP is actually on our side (and I see no reason for why he isn't), then it is akin to the jews mobbing a Nazi who is sympathetic to them and has been helping them. Or blacks attacking a white person who had been a part of the underground railroad simply because they were white. Just because one is somehow associated with an injustice doesn't mean they are automatically guilty of said injustice or should be attacked as such.
    What did OP do to help anyone carry in NY? O_o

    I see your point, but your analogy sucks...

    I don't hate OP. Just hate the double standard he lives by.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    18
    Yes, I think there will be hassles -

    I would carry a copy of all the laws printed - multiple copies - available for inspection. If that fails I would have the number of a good NYC attorney already in your wife's phone. I hope all goes well.

    As for all the negativity - I see it as this. I am jealous of your ability to carry a gun in NYC, BUT I hope that if I was in NYC your would be the guy standing next to me.

    I also hope that the next step is to allow all police with 10 years on the force to carry where ever. After that open it up to all military with 10 years, then to all police and military with 5 years. (after all the only people who should have guns are the police and military). Then once that causes no problems, open it to all people with ANY police and military experience. Then to all good folks who can own a gun in Montana (or silimiar free state). Or just skip to the last step. The way I see it the more of us carrying the better it is.


    *rooster inhaler* hehehehehe

  24. #24
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson
    What's a rooster inhaler?
    Another name for rooster is cock,
    and when you inhale you suck in air...
    Not at all a polite thing to say, but since it took me this long to get it (and I'm usually pretty good with words), I can't exactly say it's an obvious insult.
    (What the admins choose to do is beyond my control...)

    Why don't you feel safe in NYC filled to the brim and overflowing with good, honest LEOs?
    Even better, why doesn't he feel safe in NYC since NYC doesn't allow normal everyday people to have guns? Everyone there who's allowed to have a gun is registered, usually wealthy, politically powerful, etc. (or a cop). Surely those people aren't going to harm anyone, right?
    (Then again, since those are the only people allowed to have guns, those are the only people with guns, so why do they need to carry a gun?)
    Yes, that's sarcasm.

    Again, not directed at the OP, but at the whole second-class citizen thing.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 09-19-2011 at 07:49 PM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by learn2shoot View Post
    I also hope that the next step is to allow all police with 10 years on the force to carry where ever.
    I'm a little confused by this post.

    As it stands right now any cop can carry where ever regardless of how long they've been on the job. Even a rookie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •