• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bringing my Glock to NYC. Will there be any hassles?

pkbites

We're going to Manhattan in October for a few days. The last time I was in New York was before HR218 was in effect, so I kept my pistol at home.

Now, legally, I can carry it there. But will there be any hassles at the airport as I still have to declare it in my checked luggage. I usually don't register as an emergency worker when I fly on personal time so there will be nothing on paper saying I'm a cop.

Is it possible there will be some badge heavy law men at LaGuardia Airport waiting to have a chat with me? You know me, If I were by myself I'd welcome the confrontation. But my wife wants her vacation to go smoothly.

MKEgal

Have a copy of the applicable law,
and a copy of your privilege permit paperwork (ID, badge, etc.).
In fact, have several in case the first few get disappeared.
You're likely to get hassled at this end, too.

You could also ring up the NYPD admin & make sure they follow federal law (letting other officers exercise their federally-granted privileges in NYC).
But of course, they don't follow the Constitution... why should breaking this new law bother them?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You have already found the law. What you reference gives a very clear statement of the documentation you will need to have in order to assert your claim for coverage under LEOSA. It seems a few NY state cases have been decided favorably - but i am not aware of NYC case law that's on your side.

Remember, when travelling by plane you still have to comply with all the TSA rules. If going by train I understand that you must put it in checked baggage, in spite of LEOSA.

Once you get to NYC remembe to be very low-key, slow and deliberate when even discussing the presence of your handgun, let alone putting your hands near it. Do not start out by saying "I have a gun" - try something along the lines of "I am a law enforcement officer; my credentials are ___ ."

I don't know you well enough to know if I should hate you or not, but I royally despise the Only One special privileges cops claim for themselves.

stay safe.

hermannr

Personally, I would contact NYC police before I brought any weapon into NYC. Think about the transit athority cop that shot and killed an undercover cop that had responed to a trouble call. (and that was for carrying a rifle) That place is crazy.

If I were you I would want to be armed, but if you are armed, the local LEOs are as dangerous to your health as the thugs.

Last edited:

MKEgal

skidmark said:
I don't know you well enough to know if I should hate you or not, but I royally despise the Only One special privileges cops claim for themselves.
The major benefit the LEOSA gives the rest of us normal everyday citizens is the 14th Amendment claim against any gov't entity which does not treat us the same as the citizens who are (or have been) employed by a LEA.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
We're going to Manhattan in October for a few days. The last time I was in New York was before HR218 was in effect, so I kept my pistol at home.

Now, legally, I can carry it there. But will there be any hassles at the airport

is-that-so-then-gtfo.jpg

EDIT: Just curious, being a cop and all: While you're in New York exercising your super FIRST CLASS CITIZEN PRIVILEGES, if you see someone carrying an unregistered gun with no type of permit, nothing other than the right they were born with, will you arrest them or call the police?

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I just can't get over this thread.... It's like wearing a nazi uniform in the 1940's and walking in front of a few hundred starving jews then asking, "hey guys...I'm going to a steak house for dinner and i was curious, do you think I should get a 20oz steak or something a little lighter, like a 16oz? I need to watch my weight sooooooOoOo"

pkbites

EDIT: Just curious, being a cop and all: While you're in New York exercising your super FIRST CLASS CITIZEN PRIVILEGES, if you see someone carrying an unregistered gun with no type of permit, nothing other than the right they were born with, will you arrest them or call the police?

How on earth would I know if a gun were registered or not or whether the carrier had a permit or not, and why on Earth would I care? Outside of the state of Wisconsin I have no powers of arrest.

Some of you need to do your homework and you'll find that I am the most pro-gun rights cop on these boards. I have frequently criticized this law and in Wisconsin I routinely carry openly as a form of solidarity to those who can't legally conceal.

It's disgusting and wrong that others cannot exercise their constitutional right in NYC, but I am not going to risk my safety or my wifes safety by not exercising this privilege that I have. AND NEITHER WOULD ANY OF YOU GIVEN THE SAME PRIVILEGE. Some of you rooster inhalers need to curb the attitude.

emsjeep

How on earth would I know if a gun were registered or not or whether the carrier had a permit or not, and why on Earth would I care? Outside of the state of Wisconsin I have no powers of arrest.

Some of you need to do your homework and you'll find that I am the most pro-gun rights cop on these boards. I have frequently criticized this law and in Wisconsin I routinely carry openly as a form of solidarity to those who can't legally conceal.

It's disgusting and wrong that others cannot exercise their constitutional right in NYC, but I am not going to risk my safety or my wifes safety by not exercising this privilege that I have. AND NEITHER WOULD ANY OF YOU GIVEN THE SAME PRIVILEGE. Some of you rooster inhalers need to curb the attitude.

LOL. They're just angry, and rightfully, but it isn't your fault. Don't take it personally.

Be VERY careful here. NYPD has a bad history of friendly fire incidents. Conceal well, bring ALL of your ID (and copies) and paperwork and a few copies of 18 U.S.C. § 926B. They don't even like their own off-duty personnel carrying. Be safe.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

What's a rooster inhaler?

Why don't you feel safe in NYC filled to the brim and overflowing with good, honest LEOs?

hammer6

why would we care? we can't carry there but apparently you can, so why would you expect us to know? call the NYPD and ask them.

when i go to new york, i only have my fists to protect me. must be nice

hammer6

I just can't get over this thread.... It's like wearing a nazi uniform in the 1940's and walking in front of a few hundred starving jews then asking, "hey guys...I'm going to a steak house for dinner and i was curious, do you think I should get a 20oz steak or something a little lighter, like a 16oz? I need to watch my weight sooooooOoOo"

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000

emsjeep

I'm the first one to bitch about police inequality and abuse (see my sig line), but what exactly do you guys expect this individual to do?

Last edited:

emsjeep

What's a rooster inhaler?

Why don't you feel safe in NYC filled to the brim and overflowing with good, honest LEOs?

does the forum software edit out ********** by replacing it with rooster inhaler?

ETA: nope just turns it into **********....

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm the first one to bitch about police inequality and abuse (see my sig line), but what exactly do you guys expect this individual to do?

I don't know man. It pisses me off and the only one in this thread to direct my anger at is the cop who gets treated as a different grade of human. We all get to eat **** while the elite get to protect themselves and their families. It's bull ****. pkbites, did you not expect to get a few upset people in this thread?

Again, see Jew reference in post #6...

Aknazer

I think some people are over-reacting. While we can all be bitter over the unconstitutionality of it, that doesn't mean it should be taken out on the OP. One can't really blame him for wanting to carry or for asking on this board for advice (both legal and in "dealing with the locals" of this sub-forum). The Nazi comment is really uncalled for, but let's go with it for a second. Assuming the OP is actually on our side (and I see no reason for why he isn't), then it is akin to the jews mobbing a Nazi who is sympathetic to them and has been helping them. Or blacks attacking a white person who had been a part of the underground railroad simply because they were white. Just because one is somehow associated with an injustice doesn't mean they are automatically guilty of said injustice or should be attacked as such.

hermannr

pkbites: I hold you no ill, and only forward a blessing for a peaceful and happy trip with your wife. Be very careful, NYC is well known for shooting first and asking questions later.

I would have everyone able to carry for their own protection in NYC, it is a hole, but at the present moment, that is not possible. I went there one time while in the military when stationed in NJ, and flew into NYC (LaGuardia) once. Even though my wife is from NYS, and I am in possession (gift from my FIL) of a 38 colt that did police duty in NYC in the 20's-50's...if at all possible, I will never go back to that city.

Everyone else: Jealousy is a great evil to a peaceful life. It is the root of most property crime. Let's not go there and be down in that gutter with the criminals.

Thia (or any) LEO has absolutely no control over the Law, that is re-itterated time and time again on this site. Keep that in mind. If it is his good fortune to be able to carry, it is no skin off you back...

No, I am not, and never have been a LEO, I just hate jealousy, envy and petty bickering.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

stay safe.

OK, the OP has stated that he is on our side. I officially declare that I do not hate the OP just because the OP has Only One special privileges. I still despise the fact that cops claim Only One special privileges for themselves.

And I still hope that the OP stays safe on his journey to and from NYC.

stay safe.

hammer6

OK, the OP has stated that he is on our side. I officially declare that I do not hate the OP just because the OP has Only One special privileges. I still despise the fact that cops claim Only One special privileges for themselves.

And I still hope that the OP stays safe on his journey to and from NYC.

stay safe.

i think everyone on this board would agree with this statement-

we are just frustrated that someone gets to do something because of a badge, when it's perfectly constitutional, but we get denied.

i just think we don't want to waste our time looking up the info....BUT- seeing as how i just popped a vicodin, and i'm in a good mood, i'll help him out:

http://tinyurl.com/6fmbfgm

Last edited:

hermannr

First thing to do is elect people to congress that will make it so you can do what you wish. The only thing that will really work is a specific ammendment that says there shall be no infringment on the right to carry for self defence. specific enough that the supreme court cannot screw it up.