• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry vs conceal carry

Johnburns15

I'm just curious as everyones opinions.
Here's what I think :
I have my ccw in Kentucky so I can carry my firearm to any state that allows it.
But I choose to open carry for multiple reasons.
For one I see alot of signs on businesses that state "no concealed weapons allowed". If I were to be carrying concealed I would have to take my weapon off and place it in my vehicle which could cause danger to anyone else around if someone else were to get in to my vehicle.

I also choose to open carry because I am more comfortable with doing so. I have a passive retention holster which makes it harder for me to be disarmed. But at the same time it allows me to quickly and smoothly draw my firearm if I come into a situation in where I need it. It is
Much easier to draw from my hip then from a concealed holster or
From my pocket.

And my third reason to to educate the general public on firearms. Not everyone has the knowledge that it is legal to walk around with a firearm. Most people think you need to be in law enforcement or have a certain permit to do so.

Johnburns15

I'm just curious. I'm tired of hearing people "if you're gonna carry you should cc not oc" so I was just wanting input on why people think that.

Meshuggah

I just recently started to OC since I found this site and learned about it.

I have ccw for the past 6 years or so and I think its a much better idea to OC.

The reason I carry is to protect myself and my family. When I OC the bad guys can see that im trouble from far away without having to find out with a confrontation.

Since ive started to OC I have also had the chance to educate people on KYs OC stance and also about firearms in general. OC is a very good thing...

neuroblades

I Open Carry & Concealed Carry both. Each has there own advantages and disadvantages alike.

I OC when I'm feeling in the mood and spirit to educate my fellow Kentuckians. If I happen to be feeling sick or exhausted or just off my game, I'll opt for CC instead. As for those pesky "No Concealed Carry" signs, I pay them no attention as long it's NOT in an area that is legally off-limits. If I'm CC and run into one of these signs, I just go on about my business and go on. Out of sight, out of mind is my thought.

Johnburns15

I Open Carry & Concealed Carry both. Each has there own advantages and disadvantages alike.

I OC when I'm feeling in the mood and spirit to educate my fellow Kentuckians. If I happen to be feeling sick or exhausted or just off my game, I'll opt for CC instead. As for those pesky "No Concealed Carry" signs, I pay them no attention as long it's NOT in an area that is legally off-limits. If I'm CC and run into one of these signs, I just go on about my business and go on. Out of sight, out of mind is my thought.

I like your point of view about the "no concealed carry signs" LOL

It does make sense though. If no one sees it then no one knows it exists