• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does concealed carry prevent crime?

77zach

I figure I'll keep the Fl page going while trying not to rehash the exact same stuff. Then we can all commiserate about Fl's OC situation. A few more years from now, hopefully I'll be at a place in my life where I have the time/funds to actually try and do something about it (if we're still in the same situation) instead of writing on OCDO.

I don't believe John Lott that concealed carry reduces crime. I'll admit that his book sort of drowned me in statistics. My argument is a very small % of people have carry permits. A small fraction of those people who have the permit ever carry a concealed firearm on their person. Almost all people you see out in public are unarmed. Many people in Fl do have firearms in their vehicles, but not afoot.

Criminals don't break into people's houses when they know someone is home. If you break into someones house at night in Fl, you die. Period. Is the rate low because they don't know who is armed and who is not? Well, yes. But they know their chance of survival is not good. They assume you are armed.

Something like this can never happen in the state of Florida:http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/147404-oc-may-have-prevented-crime-leo-encounter.html

According to the florida retail federation, it would have been better if this store owner were robbed or dead. If the OP was CC, this incident may have ended up with bullets flying. Is that the outcome they would prefer?

Tying this incident into the above paragraph, I wonder if these would be perps will be deterred in the future. They may not have to see an openly carried gun. They may now be more conscious of the fact that people in public carry weapons that they can't see.

Who can doubt that open carry has prevented many crimes in other states in incidents that no one knows about-where only the would be perp knows?

I think concealed carry is better than nothing but that's not saying much. I think there are specific circumstances where it would be preferable, tactically speaking. For example, I see the sense in Air Marshalls carrying concealed. The threat you are arming against is focused, committed, and highly motivated. I think for you and me, OC is superior because it will deter almost all common criminals who see it. If they don't see it, you're on them instantly. And OC is also the most effective political statement you can make without saying a word.

Oh well.

Last edited:

KeepShootin

That is a great story. I firmly believe that Open Carry deters MOST crime. There are a few situations where it could land you in trouble, but those situations are highly unlikely. One example would be someone robbing a bank. If they notice that you have a gun before you notice them, they are already committing the crime, so they may just choose to shoot you. Another example would be someone grabbing your gun. But, like I said, the odds of either of those things happening are slim. I think there has been one gun grab in the history of the U.S. . The benefits of Open Carry certainly outweigh the risks.

Rich7553

To a criminal, a potential victim whether unarmed or carrying concealed appear essentially the same. If every person in Florida who had a concealed carry license carried openly, it would still be only about 3% of the eligible population. So in a crowd of 1000 people, why would a criminal pick on one of the 30 people openly carrying a gun when there are 970 unarmed people from whom to choose?

77zach

To a criminal, a potential victim whether unarmed or carrying concealed appear essentially the same. If every person in Florida who had a concealed carry license carried openly, it would still be only about 3% of the eligible population. So in a crowd of 1000 people, why would a criminal pick on one of the 30 people openly carrying a gun when there are 970 unarmed people from whom to choose?

I think it would serve as a reminder that people are armed in public. I know many people who are somewhat surprised to learn that there is a legal avenue to carrying a weapon in public. The underclass from which criminals come from is even more ignorant. The criminal element is aware guns are legal and generally present in the home, but assume the rate outside the home is essentially 0. If 1/200 people OCed on a daily basis (which admittedly happens nowhere in this country), the thought process of the bad guy would have to change, it seems to me.

I would imagine that businesses and pedestrians in close proximity to a police station enjoy a higher degree of safety from attack. Same principle I'm trying to get at. The people around the police station may still be unarmed, but the bad guy is worried about what/who may be close by.

With how few people carry, I'll concede you are right though. The main reason I would want to carry openly is that I want to avoid any confrontation in the first place. It seems like such a more sensible option, but we don't have the option because a few bed wetters say ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:

Rich7553

I think it would serve as a reminder that people are armed in public. I know many people who are somewhat surprised to learn that there is a legal avenue to carrying a weapon in public. The underclass from which criminals come from is even more ignorant. The criminal element is aware guns are legal and generally present in the home, but assume the rate outside the home is essentially 0. If 1/200 people OCed on a daily basis (which admittedly happens nowhere in this country), the thought process of the bad guy would have to change, it seems to me.

I would imagine that businesses and pedestrians in close proximity to a police station enjoy a higher degree of safety from attack. Same principle I'm trying to get at. The people around the police station may still be unarmed, but the bad guy is worried about what/who may be close by.

With how few people carry, I'll concede you are right though. The main reason I would want to carry openly is that I want to avoid any confrontation in the first place. It seems like such a more sensible option, but we don't have the option because a few bed wetters say ignorance is bliss.

Bingo!

MR Redenck

According to Rick Perry it does. Perry doesnt want the bad guys to know he has a gun, so he says. Conceald carry prevents crime because the bad guys dont know if you have a gun or not.
WHAT A JOKE! Haaaa!
Hide your gun so the would be criminal cant see it. If the would be criminal cant see your weapon then he wont be detered!
Hang your 45 off your hip to let all would be criminals know they are about to get shot if they attempt anything.
So the would be criminal finds themself another target, such as someone concealing a hangun.

hvtopiwala

i have to agree that having your firearm displayed does deter crime from happening...why the hell woudl a criminal want to rob/carjack/hurt anyone in a place where some1 has as gun strapped to his hip and openly displayed????

he would easily rob/carjack/hurt some1 if he didnt know people were carrying there!

honestly, if we had a choice of either CC or OC, i would pick OC everyday...
1. its more comfortable
2. i can carry a bigger gun :)
3. the chance of crimes are less

Fallschirjmäger

Concealed carry reduces crime the same way that only having unmarked police cars reduces speeding. If you can't see a police car then obviously every car must be assumed to be running radar.

wrightme

According to Rick Perry it does. Perry doesnt want the bad guys to know he has a gun, so he says. Conceald carry prevents crime because the bad guys dont know if you have a gun or not.
WHAT A JOKE! Haaaa!
Hide your gun so the would be criminal cant see it. If the would be criminal cant see your weapon then he wont be detered!
Hang your 45 off your hip to let all would be criminals know they are about to get shot if they attempt anything.
So the would be criminal finds themself another target, such as someone concealing a hangun.

OC is a visible deterrent. CC numbers ARE a deterrent, by virtue of the uncertainty factor. Where CC is not possible, the uncertainty factor is minimalized.

77zach

WHAT A JOKE! Haaaa!

That's one reason (among many) why I will not be fooled by Rick Perry and I will instead "waste" my vote on Ron Paul. When asked about OC legalization, he didn't say concealed is better BUT I support the right to OC. He said OC was stupid. If you don't believe in the right to OC, you are not a reliable champion of the right to bear arms. Thus he's a faker on everything else too.

Two cars were in front of me this morning at an intersection. And I thought of this discussion because I did encounter a form of OC. One car had all kinds of gun related stickers and the other nothing. And I thought to myself, "If I wanted to carjack one of these vehicles, which one would I choose?"

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
OC is a visible deterrent. CC numbers ARE a deterrent, by virtue of the uncertainty factor. Where CC is not possible, the uncertainty factor is minimalized.

The minuscule number of CC permits and the even smaller population of CC permittees who actually carry is too small a percentage to worry most BGs. The most surprised guy in a confrontation, where the GG draws a weapon from concealment, is almost certainly going to be the BG who regards all non-OCrs as defenseless targets.

How many BGs do you think study up on the statistics and decide not to be a BG because of the chance that a citizen might be armed?

Last edited:

wrightme

The minuscule number of CC permits and the even smaller population of CC permittees who actually carry is too small a percentage to worry most BGs. The most surprised guy in a confrontation, where the GG draws a weapon from concealment, is almost certainly going to be the BG who regards all non-OCrs as defenseless targets.

How many BGs do you think study up on the statistics and decide not to be a BG because of the chance that a citizen might be armed?

Statistics DO support the contention that crime does decrease as CC permit numbers increase. And yes, I do believe BG's know this. As example, what other rationale can be presented for the mass killings in GFSZs.........

j4l

I dont think it deters any crimes. If anything, it may give a thinking criminal some pause.
How many thinking criminals-(apart from white-collar/mafiosa) have we yet seen?
And the truly dense ones are'nt the least bit deterred by OC OR CC.

wrightme

I dont think it deters any crimes. If anything, it may give a thinking criminal some pause.
How many thinking criminals-(apart from white-collar/mafiosa) have we yet seen?
And the truly dense ones are'nt the least bit deterred by OC OR CC.

If it may give a thinking criminal some pause, it DOES deter some crime.

KeepShootin

wrightme

Police looking for man who robbed officer of gun
A thief robbed a concealed carrier of her purse.... and her concealed weapon..............................and her badge.

Wow, that could be that guy in the MO thread....if he were a gal......

Agreed. We are discussing that one situation that comes in 1 out of a 1000000 times. I just know, when I'm carrying and i look down and notice my shirt has creeped itself in between my firearm and my stomach, turning me from a CC to an OC, I immediatly reach down and pull the shirt or cover up or whatever i'm using, back over my firearm.

And thats with a badge sitting right next to it.

But, it can't be him/her, because if it were, the perp would be dead....

This could be my law enforcment part of me talking, but I chose to conceal carry for if that day a criminal decides to attempt to make my family or myself a victim, if given the oppurtunity, they will be in the body bag. It is not to just push the criminal to murder, rape, rob etc a less prepared law abiding 19 year old girl that knows nothing about firearms.

Last edited: