• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Needing a "Note from home" to carry?

wrightme

Makes sense. Im fully aware of what forum i am posting on, being under 21 left me only one option as far as carry goes. But i think i have come to a conclusion, conceal carry when needed, but i think what im going to do is OPEN CARRY my primary firearm, and have a concealed back up gun. And no, im not some guy wanting to blast holes in someone. Merely trying to get the best of both worlds. I have been open carrying since i first turned 18, and never had to shoot anyone or anything, nor do i have plans to. Ive seen how unobservant people are in the heat of the moment, and i seriously doubt anyone that was robbing a place or something like that would notice one person with a gun on their side, and even if they did i do think that would definitely be a good deterrent. Im not trying to get in a debate which one is better, just asking for advice on the matter. There are alot of police officers who have had their own weapon turned on them, but at the same time were able to get a backup gun. Thats what ill be doing from now on, best of both worlds the way i see it.

Sounds fair.

It is predictable as to how this subject gets worked.

Person1: "I think I will start CC."

Person2: "Well, you must be stupid, this is about OC, which is better..."

And it spirals downward from there.

Reverse the "CC" and "OC," and the result is the same. Simply stating that you want to choose one specific seems to put the opposing choice group into instant "circle the wagons" mode.

*1911_man*

personally i think if every single person (who was legally able to) open carried there would be significantly less violence. I mean who is going to go shoot up a place when there are 30-50 armed citizens around them at all times? Im all for open carry and concealed carry. I have no bias towards either, i was just trying to pick which one would suit me best, which obviously i have concluded a main weapon for OC and a concealed backup gun. Not to mention non-lethal defenses as well..

Back on the topic, i went into ANOTHER gun store today, asked the dealer about the law again, he said the exact same thing as the other FFL dealers. Guess its part of the course to get the license that teaches that it is impossible to own a handgun under 21.

Fisherman

personally i think if every single person (who was legally able to) open carried there would be significantly less violence.

I think so too. Here's an article with a lot of historical stuff in it about the so-called Wild West. It could be a shorter article but read the whole thing. It's very enlightening. There are a couple of minor errors but I'll overlook them and just contact the author.

Link: http://www.guncite.com/wild_west_myth.html

MR Redenck

Arizona is very different from other states with regard to gun laws and generally LEO attitude about them. It has been my experience that the LEO's are quite knowledgeable about the gun laws in Arizona.

YMMV

Thats because yall dont have very many restrictive laws against the citizen.
You can see how people in other states might feel the need to be a little cautious.